2nd viewing of Donald/Benson 3

That had nothing to do with the leg kicks, Henderson went high with a kick, that Donald ate *then* caught, and it looked as though he had to shake some cobwebs away quickly.

Weve seen some stanky leg dance moves before and I ve seen Cerrone shaken AND Ive seen him dropped. Jamie Varner dropped him here and there and Cerrone popped back up. In other words, if you watch certain fighters enough, you know when theyre wobbled. He looked more or less fine.

Don't know how you can down-talk the value of the kicks, then talk up the absolutely meaningless take-downs.

Because I said the kicks looked like he was establishing range. Someone compared them to jabs, but Id compare them to the "patty caking" arm throws fighters exchange to determine how close they are to strike effectively. As an audience member, I dont see how his kicks were useful beyond range hunting and they sure as shit werent entertaining.

Benson pretty clearly won the second and third rounds, via having the all-around more efficient output, imo.

Wouldn't call it a robbery, at all, but the result felt obvious to me.

I dont feel like either fighter won to call it obvious. Personally, I find more interest in this fight because of the alleged robbery and obvious winner accusations.

Just so you know "hearing" a kick is generally a sign than you are hitting more with the toes. The stronger kick is done with the shin and results in not as audible a slap. In Benson's case he was hitting with the heel and pushing with the toes. Not only did it establish range but it also made it more difficult for Cerrone to lead with the front leg kick. Benson complimented the front thigh attack by stepping wide with the right and coming across the back thigh and as striking the front leg as well. It was well orchestrated and effective.

Remember, I truly believe were splitting hairs over this fight. Others think its obvious and thats where I chime in. That said, I mentioned hearing the kicks. You say its toes, and I wont dispute it. In fact, Ill tell you I dont know. What I do know is that when Aldo, Barao, or even Pat Barry lands a leg kick, you hear it so well that you can almost feel it. Now tell me, are they doing it wrong?

Shertards' hypocrisy as its finest

Insulting me wont change the outcome nor the integrity of discussion. It does declare that you dont have a dog in this fight, which is fitting for your avatar.

To directly respond, you quoted about my bullet point of the takedowns Donald achieved. His first one is what I think should only be score and even so, score it loosely. I think the judges simply didnt know who to choose and they said Donald won because of the takedowns.

We may think its a bullshit call, but we all know what the fuck theyre talking about. You add that into a close fight, where you have to pick a winner (and not a draw?), then its hardly difficult to see how Cerrone got the nod. Unanimously too.

just watched it this morning at work for the frist time and scored it 29-28 for cerrone. Rounds 1 and 2. I had no sound, could care less who won and don't understand how people think it was a robbery. Im a little confused at sherdog this morning, everyone made it sound like the worst decision in the history of the sport. I guess I could see giving bendo the 2nd round? but for me the takedown sealed that round for Donald

I agree with the thread starter 100%. It was a very close fight.

Watched it with the sound off(as I tend to do these days with most fights) and had it for Bendo. Cerrone didn't do much bar a few flurries here and there, h seemed like he knew he'd lost at the end.

Watched it with the sound off(as I tend to do these days with most fights) and had it for Bendo. Cerrone didn't do much bar a few flurries here and there, h seemed like he knew he'd lost at the end.

what rounds did you give bendo and how did you give them those rounds?

Another boring sparring match. Neither guy went for it. Who cares

I dont think they ever should have fought in the first place. horrible match making. idiots at the UFC. Also, the fight was more like a sparring session than anything.

I dont think they ever should have fought in the first place. horrible match making. idiots at the UFC. Also, the fight was more like a sparring session than anything.

cerrone filled in on 2 weeks notice??

In a close fight, if the fighter you are rooting for doesn't win, it is a "robbery". Nothing new here.

I watched it the first time in a noisy room with no commentary and had the TD's being the deciding factor for Cerrone's win. Was genuinely shocked to get on here and hear people talking about what a robbery it was.

1st round cowboy - He jumped into the lead in the first minute, and they fought evenly the rest of the round. Highlights were a nice right hook and a body kick from bendo, and a solid body kick in the last minute, plus a few well placed left hooks to the head, from cowboy.
2nd round bendo - He dominated the first 3 minutes, highlighted by that repeated chopping low kick to cowboy's rear leg... those bothered cowboy a lot I think... and a very nice knee to the liver midway through. Cowboy started turning it on in the last 2 minutes, with some combos and a head kick, and then got the take down. Last 45 seconds was all bendo except for another head kick by cerrone. Not enough to make up for bendo's work rate.
3rd round draw - The only round that was tough to score was the third. It was back and forth, with bendo again landing a couple of nice knees to the liver, partially blocked by cowboy, and cowboy again getting off some decent combos to bendo's dome. Plenty of varying single strikes from both guys that did no damage. I could see the take down being the difference for cowboy in some people's eyes, but not mine.

Fight was a draw.

You're welcome.

I thought Benson looked better of the two and expected to lose my money on Cowboy. I was as shocked as Cowboy when they said his name LOL.

I agree it looked like a good sparring session where they made big bucks.

Remember, I truly believe were splitting hairs over this fight. Others think its obvious and thats where I chime in. That said, I mentioned hearing the kicks. You say its toes, and I wont dispute it. In fact, Ill tell you I dont know. What I do know is that when Aldo, Barao, or even Pat Barry lands a leg kick, you hear it so well that you can almost feel it. Now tell me, are they doing it wrong?

It has nothing to do with right or wrong I'm simply explaining the technique to you and explaining why that assumption is false. Getting kicked with the toes can still suck, but it's more of a slap and a sting than the deep thud you can get when you connect with your much more dense shin bone.

When there's no clear winner then just view it as a lottery, there are so many opinions on what defines the winner that it's kind of relaxing to just leave it to the 3 lotterymasters, either that i draws should be more common, i like draws.

im more bothered about benson running around like he just kod someone after that fight, I had cerrone winning rounds 1 and 2 but it was wayyyy too close to bitch if benson won

Benson seemed like he was trying to steal rounds with excessive thigh kicks like Jon Jones does.

Agreed it was a fair decision, can't be shocked either way. They had 15 minutes to try to win but no one ever stepped it up to 2nd gear, like I said I can't complain either way the decision was fair

This doesn't mean shit, the rounds are already scored by then, Bendo ALWAYS thinks/acts like he won these close decisions, and Cowboy is always his own biggest critic.

This, Cerrone could dominate a guy and not be happy with his performance. Benson could do jack all in his fights and jump around like he won

A sparring match is probably the best description of the fight I've seen so far. Neither guy looked like they wanted to do much. I think the fact that they are good friends outside of the cage played a heavy role in the relative inactivity here. Cerrone spent most of his time throwing outside leg kicks with his lead leg, and Benson spent most of his time throwing body jabs and lead leg push kicks to the thigh. I got the impression they didn't want to "go for it" for fear of ruining a friendship by making the other guy look bad. This was no robbery, just a close fight where both fighters decided they weren't going to give us a whole lot to work with on scoring the fight.

Back