2nd viewing of Donald/Benson 3

TrueBias

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
The poll in the other thread shows a vast favoring of Benson over Cerrone. I saw this fight in a bar where the sound wasnt well. Its Sunday night, most people are watching this at home where its quiet and yes, a commentator would have an influence.

2nd time watching? I still find the fight as a sparring match. Nothing truly "one sided" nor was it a "clear decision." That said, its mind baffling that people are screaming robbery.

-Joes commentary was centered on Benson, especially on his new back kicks being thrown to Cerrones back leg. Hes got a new talent and was using it. Is it enough to win a fight? Joe talked about Donald being in trouble somewhere in the 3rd saying "his legs stiffened up, hes masking it.." I didnt see it Joe.

-Benson kept throwing this front leg kicks that I believe could be seen as scoring, but to me they simply looked like they were used to establish range. They didnt look damaging in the slightest and I say that with sincerity because when Ben threw an array of other kicks, you fucking heard it. You also could hear Donalds.

-Donald had 2 takedowns. When Donald got him down in the 2nd, they stayed down there for just about half a min. Thats dictating where the fight goes and point goes to Donald. The 3rd's, to me, should never be scored cuz he didnt do anything with it. However, in the scheme of a fight being close as hell and there being 3 rounds, you may disagree, but you can understand how a point for the 3rd's takedown was given.

-Damage. I didnt see a lot of damage from either guy, but the leg kicks were closely exchanged. I want to say Ben made more damaging kicks, but as I type this I am thinking about some body kicks from Donald, a high kick that landed (though it was his toes), so again, too close to call. I did think that Donald had Benson in a bit of trouble just under the 2 min mark in the 2nd.

This fight needed 5 rounds. I couldnt call a clear winner, but I personally wouldve gone with Donald in both of my viewings. Had Benson won, I sort of wouldnt had cared. It was close and with only 3 rounds, youd think these veterens would come in throwing more thunder.

I decided to make a new thread to balance out the McG threads. Best thing about his fight was him getting in Aldos face. Worst thing? Being taken down by a striker. 2x. He got back up, yeah, but he still got taken down by a non wrestler. Nothing really to discuss with that show. :)

it was a close fight, i thought benson won probably 29-28, but cerrone moved forward and was the aggressor for a large part of the fight, also he got a few takedowns. Benson kicks to the thighs didn't seem to impress the judges though, but it wasn't a robbery

The fight should have been 5 rounds. I'd like to say that would have cleared up who won but with Benson that isn't really the case.

Could have gone either way.

I just watched it again this morning.

Round 1 10-9 Cerrone
Round 2 10-9 Benson
Round 3 10-9 Benson

Even Cowboy could tell he lost. After the final bell, Benson ran around celebrating while Donald looked disappointed.

This seems to be the key to understanding the decision. If you do not weigh those heavily, then Donald's case for winning the fight improves.

exactly, also rogan viewed those kicks in pretty high praise, which also influenced me a little in the decision for benson. I usually try to tune joe out however

I heard Rogan starting to talk up Bendo and immediately thought, "Sherdoggers will use this as a way to discredit Bendo and act as if Rogan made everyone think he should win, even though he's clearly landed more strikes and has just generally been a step ahead of Cerrone for most of this fight."

Who gives a shit? Stop talking about this fight.

1. I care about this fight. Two of the best LW fighters, both with storied careers, meeting a third time.

2. It happened last night. What else would you expect to be discussed the morning after a fight card other than a controversial decision in a big fight?

Who gives a shit? Stop talking about this fight.

Case closed.
QxsqMiP.gif

There was a round by round poll that shows opinion is much more split. The only round that the majority feel Ben won clearly was 3. 1 and 2 are pretty close.

with the rd 2 takedown and head kick, i lean to Cerrone. So it up to how you scored rd 1. As mentioned, clearly the judges were not impressed with the thigh kick, but it still should be counted as a strike, it's not much different than a jab.

exactly, also rogan viewed those kicks in pretty high praise, which also influenced me a little in the decision for benson. I usually try to tune joe out however

I like Joe's commentary. He often does well explaining new wrinkles fighters have added to their game which suggests he has watched a lot of tape on most fighters.

He is not always right about who he thought won a fight. For example, I thought the Cathal Pendred fight was much, much closer than he did and was not at all surprised the judges gave him the decision.

However, I think Joe did a good job in the Cerrone-Benson fight. Benson was the better fighter over three rounds.

I only bring up the thigh kicks as a seemingly solid explanation for an otherwise odd decision.

I like Joe's commentary. He often does well explaining new wrinkles fighters have added to their game which suggests he has watched a lot of tape on most fighters.

He is not always right about who he thought won a fight. For example, I thought the Cathal Pendred fight was much, much closer than he did and was not at all surprised the judges gave him the decision.

However, I think Joe did a good job in the Cerrone-Benson fight. Benson was the better fighter over three rounds.

I only bring up the thigh kicks as a seemingly solid explanation for an otherwise odd decision.

Good point, Joe is a great analysis, but sometimes i feel he does start being somewhat biased, but I had benson winning 29-28, but it definitely was a odd judging night.

Henderson should have won.

Oh well.

This is one of the few occasions where i'm fine with a robbery.

Good point, Joe is a great analysis, but sometimes i feel he does start being somewhat biased, but I had benson winning 29-28, but it definitely was a odd judging night.

Bias in commentary is impossible to avoid. Joe strikes me as a guy who prepares very thoroughly, but when something unexpected happens in a fight, he overemphasizes it.

...I still find the fight as a sparring match.

agree 100 percent. neither fighter showed killer instinct or threw consistent combinations. In a three round fight, you have be more aggressive...

Back