2nd viewing of Donald/Benson 3

People claiming that rogan influenced the fight are clearly fabricating shit. He was all over cerrone's nuts for the majority of the fight, until it became obvious that cerrone really wasn't doing shit, then joe started calling it more down the middle. He constantly criticized henderson, particularly for what he said was an overuse of the side kick to the thigh.

That fight should have been an obvious 30-27 for henderson. Just because he wasn't on the verge of knocking cerrone out in all three rounds does not mean that he didn't clearly win them.

In a close fight, if the fighter you are rooting for doesn't win, it is a "robbery". Nothing new here.

I watched it the first time in a noisy room with no commentary and had the TD's being the deciding factor for Cerrone's win. Was genuinely shocked to get on here and hear people talking about what a robbery it was.

Those types of comments should be worthy of a double yellow. Where the fuck do people come up with such nonsense and stupidity? Was there an addendum to the judging criteria added that only some people were able to look at, or are idiots like this guy just talking out of their asses?

Even Cowboy could tell he lost. After the final bell, Benson ran around celebrating while Donald looked disappointed.

This might be the worst possible way of judging who won a fight.

it was a close fight, i thought benson won probably 29-28, but cerrone moved forward and was the aggressor for a large part of the fight, also he got a few takedowns. Benson kicks to the thighs didn't seem to impress the judges though, but it wasn't a robbery

this is how i saw it..
henderson was trying a lot of tricky stuff, but punches to the knees and those side kicks to the thigh, no matter how much joegan gushes were not really doing damage .
when he put combos together he was scoring.
but cowboy pushed forwards and countered well..
it was like 51/49 either way..very close
no robberey and it was the third round that decided and for me cowboy edged it..

benson has been on the other end of some ropey calls, his turn.
love cowboy anyway..he is carving a very respectable legacy for himself..win or lose as it were

I just watched it again this morning.

Round 1 10-9 Cerrone
Round 2 10-9 Benson
Round 3 10-9 Benson

Even Cowboy could tell he lost. After the final bell, Benson ran around celebrating while Donald looked disappointed.

that is how I saw it and the body language from both fighters after the bell (and right before the decision) really influenced by sense of "WTF" when the announcement was read

that being said, I have read how other people scored it and I see their points.

it was close. closer than I had thought at first. not a robbery for me. just a close fight who went the other way (and to the fighter I was cheering for)

Very close fight

It was a close fight. It could go either way, people on this forum just love to make drama.

It was a close fight. It could go either way, people on this forum just love to make drama.

Its a controversial decision...EVERYWHERE. Dana, Rogan, DC, other fighters, the media etc, all scored it for Benson.

it was a close fight, i thought benson won probably 29-28, but cerrone moved forward and was the aggressor for a large part of the fight, also he got a few takedowns. Benson kicks to the thighs didn't seem to impress the judges though, but it wasn't a robbery

I agree with that statement. And I also agreed with the way the judges scored the fight.

Those granny thigh kicks were just weaksauce. Those and the punches to the thigh.

I think judges MAY score those kinds of things when they are used as a small part of a larger offensive attack (a la Jon Jones). But when they are the vast majority of a fighters total offensive output like they were in this fight, I don't think they would, or should score them necessarily as individual punches landed. Clearly Bendo was hoping they would.

Don't really want to see these guys fight again, as neither one of them really had their heart in that fight.

Its a controversial decision...EVERYWHERE. Dana, Rogan, DC, other fighters, the media etc, all scored it for Benson.

No one in the Arena thought Benson won. Most have been s
Swayed by Rogan, just got home from Boston I'll rewatch.

I just watched it again this morning.

Round 1 10-9 Cerrone
Round 2 10-9 Benson
Round 3 10-9 Benson

I had it all 3 rounds to Henderson. It wasn't a complete robbery in that Henderson just blew Cowboy out of the water but he pretty clearly won all 3 rounds in my view from landing the better, harder shots and more of them. You could tell after every round that Cowboy's corner thought he was losing and at the end of the fight you could tell Cowboy thought he lost and Henderson thought he won.

The hate is still strong for Ben on here. Pretty lame in my opinion. I thought he won all three rounds pretty decisively, including rocking Cerrone with a head kick. Ben clearly outstruck one of the best strikers in the division, didn't even try to clinch or use his wrestling which people hate on him for and still he gets hated on. Should have stopped the win streak for literally the hottest fighter in the division but the judges didn't give it to him.

Also I didn't quote the guy, but someone said he throws weak not full power strikes and that is so far from the actual truth that its insane. He rocked Cerrone with the head kick, dropped Nate multiple times with straight punches, dropped Khabilov to set up the sub finish, dropped Guida... He clearly has hard strikes, both punches and kicks. His boxing has improved leaps and bounds the last couple years as well.

In summary, haters gonna hate.

The hate is still strong for Ben on here. Pretty lame in my opinion. I thought he won all three rounds pretty decisively, including rocking Cerrone with a head kick. Ben clearly outstruck one of the best strikers in the division, didn't even try to clinch or use his wrestling which people hate on him for and still he gets hated on. Should have stopped the win streak for literally the hottest fighter in the division but the judges didn't give it to him.

Also I didn't quote the guy, but someone said he throws weak not full power strikes and that is so far from the actual truth that its insane. He rocked Cerrone with the head kick, dropped Nate multiple times with straight punches, dropped Khabilov to set up the sub finish, dropped Guida... He clearly has hard strikes, both punches and kicks. His boxing has improved leaps and bounds the last couple years as well.

In summary, haters gonna hate.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. Morons who let their hate blind them to reality will claim that henderson deserved to lose, but anyone scoring that fight objectively (and actually having a working knowledge of what they were watching) would score that fight for henderson 30-27.

If you remove Benson's kicks to the thighs then the striking is close. When you add them Benson clearly won. Unless you do not count them at all, as if Benson missed, I see no possible way Cerrone won rounds 1 or 2. Round 3 was close enough it could go either way.

Henderson-Cerrone3-Fight-Stats.png

It was the third meeting between Benson Henderson and Donald Cerrone this weekend, but the first in the UFC, and first without any title on the line. Yet the stakes were still high. Henderson was looking to rebound from his fist non-title loss, while Cerrone was looking to extent a frenzied win-steak that could put him into UFC title contention for the first time.

Henderson went in as a slight favorite at the books, and at the end of the fight the body language of both fighters supported a third win for the Seattle native. But when the scores were read for the unanimous decision, Henderson was left stunned in defeat while Cerrone could only shrug uncomfortably in victory.

So let

^^^

Round 2 was the clearest Benson round too. I have no idea what those judges were smoking. Maybe they were partying with Jones?

29:28 Benson.

However, Joe Rogan does have a horrible tendency to overestimate his own ability to interpret fighters' "tells" cageside. Half of the time that he says a fighter is in trouble, they're not.

Back