16 year old beats elite women

1998: Karsten Braasch vs. the Williams sisters

A fourth event dubbed a "Battle of the Sexes" took place during the 1998 Australian Open[29] between Karsten Braasch and the Williams sisters. Venus and Serena Williams, aged 17 and 16 respectively, had claimed that they could beat any male player ranked below 200, so Braasch, then ranked 203rd, challenged them both. The matches took place on court number 12 in Melbourne Park.[30] Braasch first took on Serena and beat her 6–1. He then played Venus and won 6–2.[31] Braasch said afterwards, "500 and above, no chance." He added that he had played like someone ranked 600th in order to keep the game "fun."[32]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Sexes_%28tennis%29#cite_ref-32

rofl

and lol people believing that rhonda can beat male fighters

No doubt Serena and Venus are great, but what makes them "two of the best athletes you've ever seen"?

Guranteed, Serena is the GOAT female tennis player - but does that make her the best athlete? Why? She's obviously muscular and in shape - but she's still "just" running around hitting a ball with a racket.

Yeah what makes a real "athlete" then?

Michael Jordan "just" runs around bouncing a ball, Usain Bolt "just" runs fast, Michael Phelps "just" whips his arms and legs quickly. What a shit post.

occasionally there are 16 year olds winning the Men's advanced absolute's in BJJ tournaments

well at least the under 170 lbs. absolutes

Roy Inman (judo competitor and coach for the UK) used to bring in competitive teenage boys to spar with the women's team due to a lack female partners. Another advantage to their availability and smaller size is they would go hell for leather against the women whereas grown men would try to be 'gentlemanly', which didn't replicate the conditions of competition.
Rory McDonald beating up grown ass men in pro-MMA fights when he was 16.

So, I think it's likely that an elite 16-year-old athlete can defeat elite female athletes.
Also this.

Yeah what makes a real "athlete" then?

Michael Jordan "just" runs around bouncing a ball, Usain Bolt "just" runs fast, Michael Phelps "just" whips his arms and legs quickly. What a shit post.

No, it wasn't a "shit post". If you noticed, I was asking a legit question.

Dude said the Williams sisters were two of the best athletes he's ever witnessed. I asked why. As you point out, it's pretty fucking difficult to compare athleticism across disciplines.

occasionally there are 16 year olds winning the Men's advanced absolute's in BJJ tournaments

well at least the under 170 lbs. absolutes

that means male bjjers suck cause they can get beat by 16 year old kids

right?...

No doubt Serena and Venus are great, but what makes them "two of the best athletes you've ever seen"?

Guranteed, Serena is the GOAT female tennis player - but does that make her the best athlete? Why? She's obviously muscular and in shape - but she's still "just" running around hitting a ball with a racket.

Is this a troll or do you just have some warped definition of athlete you won't share with anyone else?

Shertards are afraid that female fighters gonna take away their tiny weenies.

It is different because there isn't a training pipeline for MMA like other sports. Only in single disciplines like wrestling or jiu-jitsu will you find 16 year olds that have been training and competing for years. In MMA, you might find a prodigy here and there, but there is no infrastructure that is building up kids to compete at an elite level.

It's on it's way. It's fragmented and still in the infant stages...but it's coming. The youth pankration movement out on the west coast, the ISKA Sport MMA over here (they're basically the same thing). It's small but you have to start somewhere.

No, it wasn't a "shit post". If you noticed, I was asking a legit question.

Dude said the Williams sisters were two of the best athletes he's ever witnessed. I asked why. As you point out, it's pretty fucking difficult to compare athleticism across disciplines.

The combination of speed, strength, technique and mental toughness Serena has is amazing. In tennis she has the best defense and offense. Since tennis is the biggest female sport and she is the greatest that sport has ever seen, you could make case for her being the greatest female athlete

I've never heard of the standard you mention, let alone for all the sports you mentioned.

Source?

People really want to chug on the rhonda koolaid. Men and women are not equal never will be never have been. Ofc rhonda could beat a bum but this is sport, competition. The absolute best of the best.

first i've ever heard of that yardstick. google doesn't seem to have ever heard of it either. care to provide a link or two?

Be patient.

Gladwell's authoritative book will come out about this in early 2017.

Thats why I asked this. I mean I can see 16 year old tennis player or 16 year old soccer player physically have huge advantage on women in their sport. I mean specially 16 year old tennis player if they are top talent will beat women. But with mma its different as athletes in general mature later and there is more ways to neutralize the physical advantage

Unlike other mainstream sports, MMA is a very new sport and is not something that people (men or women) started out as a kid. Rory McDonald is the exception because he started MMA when he was 14 year old and fought his first pro fight when he was 16. It's only matter of time before you see more UFC champs in their late teens/early 20s

Henry Cejudo won the gold medal in the Olympic when he was 18 year old.

Kye Sun-hui won a gold medal in Judo when she was 17 year old.

Rafa Mendes won the BJJ World championship when he was 19/20 year old (a year after he received his blackbelt)

The combination of speed, strength, technique and mental toughness Serena has is amazing. In tennis she has the best defense and offense. Since tennis is the biggest female sport and she is the greatest that sport has ever seen, you could make case for her being the greatest female athlete

That's fair. But IS tennis the biggest female sport? Asking a question here, not being rhetorical.

I know it's no where near the biggest here in Denmark. It's more of a sport for the privileged kids.

It's certainly the sport with the biggest stars, that's true. Maybe the sport with most money involved?

But would you call Federer/Djokovic the best male athlete ever/currently?

Again, I'm not dissing tennis players. I'm legit curious.

reminds of when the swedish national womens hockey team played a regular swedish 16yo boys team and the boys crushed them 12-1

Back