11 Myths of Warrior Training by Martin Rooney (from T-Nation)

• Floor press: "This is an exercise that's crucial for MMA. If you're on your back, you need good pushing power to get an opponent off you and pass guard."

Was into it until I stumbled upon this at the end, facepalm, also how are you going to pass guard if you are on your back, or am I reading the above wrong?

teh floor press thing is fucking retarded. You should be getting your hips out and using technique not trying to press people off you and as above poser said. how/why woudl you use a motion even close to a floor press when you are on bottom in guard...

myth 4: training especially sparring and rolling DOES need to be more strenuous than the fight. If you are preparing for 5 minute rounds go 6-7 minute rounds in training when sparring and grappling.

single arm farmers walks are cool and all but i don't see how that transfers in anyway to kicking technique or takedowns.

Also 8 weeks camps are normal and a good thing. The 8 week camps are to get in shape. Where he go that I don't know. 8 week camps are so you can get focused training in on the type of opponent your are going against and hone your distance/timing technique.

as for myth 11 I train mma boxing,muay thai, mma at jacksons. I don;t have stellar powerliting numbers but I think for 145lb fighter having my numbers is pretty good. I also plan on entering a powerlifting meet April. 30, 2 weeks after a grappling tournament.

Back