11 Myths of Warrior Training by Martin Rooney (from T-Nation)

Wow, I just read through all the sub-titles (the "myths") and am very impressed. Not at all what I expected, to be perfectly honest.

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook earlier today. It's a pretty good article. My only issue is that he repeatedly says that people should keep it simple with the basic compound lifts but then he fails to include squats in his list at the end. In general though, a pretty good article.

Basic compound lifts, awesome. Im glad I didn't just read a bunch of shit telling me to do circuits and wear a heart rate monitor. Very enjoyable article

I liked it. very suprised his main point was to lift heavy using the basics. I always see these ridiculous exercises he posts on youtube and stuff. good advice.

I liked this article, but I didn't agree with the wrestling comment. I think MMA has clearly shown its not the art but the man who makes the fighter. Wrestling has both its positives and negatives, but to say it is conclusively the best art to start in is misguided.

Just look at the top guys. Brock Lesnar, Shane Carwin, Frankie Edgar, GSP, Josh Koscheck; they all had outstanding wrestling careers before MMA."

What?

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook earlier today. It's a pretty good article. My only issue is that he repeatedly says that people should keep it simple with the basic compound lifts but then he fails to include squats in his list at the end. In general though, a pretty good article.

Maybe he doesn't believe back squats rank in the top 8 or however many he listed for an MMA fighter. He does have Deadlifts, Jump Squats, Farmers, GHRs, and Sit ups ... That does cover things pretty well.

I liked the "for regular dudes" comments at the end of each myth lol. Thought it was a little funny he mentioned GSP having a good wrestling base prior to mma.

Refreshing read, nice to see someone not doing 1000 bosu ball lifts with his "athletes".

Then again where are the heavy squats?

Good article. I used to be a fucking idiot, beating myself up with circuits all the time. Now, I do one hard circuit a week, and I feel wayyyy better for it.

A good read, but in regards to myth #9, I am wrong in thinking that GSP did not have a successful wrestling career before MMA? I understand he wrestled a bit, but I don't think he was ever on the level of guys like Lesnar or Edgar.

Like i believe Ross says heavy barbell squats are a little hard to recover from with all the other training aswell as deadlifts. He includes jump squats instead as heavy deadlifts and glute ham raise on top of everything should cover most fighters needs. I am sure squats are included probably rotated in regularly.

I noticed the GSP wrestling comment aswell???

He does mention squats earlier on:

"Squats, deadlifts, bench presses, power cleans; the basics, combined with some sprinting and some stretching. It may not be glamorous, but it makes you stronger and faster."

Don't think Joel Jamison will agree with the 8 weeks out thing, having read Joels book I don't think this bloke really does it justice:

"If you get out of shape, you have to kill yourself for 8 weeks and will show up wiped out," says Rooney. "But if you stay in shape year round, you show up fresh.

Wow! Best article Ive read in a while. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back