11 Myths of Warrior Training by Martin Rooney (from T-Nation)

good article. Nothing that i really disagree with. Like sum1 just said you'd rather see trainers preach compound lifts than the latest variations of what you can do with a bosu ball. Or the latest 'core' or 'functional' exercises involving dudes holding pink dumbbells over their head whilst balancing on 1 leg and doing god knows wateva else.

honest mistake.:D but he is wrong in this one: "Myth #9: Wrestlers make the best MMA fighters.

"Surprise, this one isn't a myth," says Rooney. "If you could only learn one discipline before stepping into the octagon, wrestling should be your discipline of choice."

...and you would get subbed very quckly by pure BJJ guy.

and BTW, great article,many useful advices..

honest mistake.:D but he is wrong in this one: "Myth #9: Wrestlers make the best MMA fighters.

"Surprise, this one isn't a myth," says Rooney. "If you could only learn one discipline before stepping into the octagon, wrestling should be your discipline of choice."

...and you would get subbed very quckly by pure BJJ guy.

and BTW, great article,many useful advices..

He said if you have good wrestling you can keep a bjj guy standing and and take a striker down.

I've had the privilege to read and watch a lot of Martin Rooney stuff that hasn't been published. The guy is freaking intelligent. Most of his philosophy can be boiled down to what I would call a Reverse Boyle approach. Whereas Mike Boyle seems to want to find reason to cut things out of his training, Rooney seems to want to find reasons TO DO things. He is very basics minded, but doesn't rely on the basics because he doesn't know anything else, he uses them when they need to be used and varies with a lot of unique stuff when it makes sense. Awesome guy.

A good read, but in regards to myth #9, I am wrong in thinking that GSP did not have a successful wrestling career before MMA? I understand he wrestled a bit, but I don't think he was ever on the level of guys like Lesnar or Edgar.

I don't think he wrestled at all before MMA, if I'm not mistaken. Hey gotobread, where is that pic in your avatar taken... reminds me of Sinbi....

I don't think he wrestled at all before MMA, if I'm not mistaken. Hey gotobread, where is that pic in your avatar taken... reminds me of Sinbi....

GSP never wrestled in high school or college. He's not a canadian champion of anything in wrestling. But he ended up being a natural when it came to wrestling for MMA.

Sometimes you are talented but never get exposed to the style.

This guy is my fav trainer, if i had a conditioning coach i'd pick him. Love all his stuff!

I was watching one of the really old UFC tapes the other day...... one of the fighter's discipline was announced as "Warrior Training".

...alot of his statements create a bit of a strawman to rail against...i'm sure many trainers could shoot holes in his less obvious myths...for regular dudes he says eat clean, sleep, deadlift...lol...earth shattering stuff.

Myth #4: MMA is tough, so the training needs to be even more strenuous.

This one frustrates the hell out of Rooney.

"We destroy guys with these grueling camps and endless death circuits to 'mimic' what supposedly happens in a fight, and then we wonder why they show up absolutely bagged."

Rooney says the logic behind it is simple: if a fight is 15 minutes and the fighter gets his or her heart rate up to 160 BPM, why not push the fighter to 30 minutes and 200 BPM?

When I train a fighter, he's never gassed on the mat. I train them to feel the opposite, and after every round of training or circuit work I tell them to raise their hands in victory.

Not only does this send a signal to the opponent, it conditions them to be champions. Lying on your back in the middle of the gym is not champion behavior."
This one seems a little strange.. Might just be driving the point home of not over-training, but I thought it was really important to push yourself HARD in order to get an elite level of conditioning.

Also 160 heart rate seems way low for a fight.

Interesting read and mostly a bunch of things that seem legit.

Last edited:
...alot of his statements create a bit of a strawman to rail against...i'm sure many trainers could shoot holes in his less obvious myths...for regular dudes he says eat clean, sleep, deadlift...lol...earth shattering stuff.

Well. Regular dudes don't eat right, will almost never think "I should go to bed early tonight so I'll be stronger" and don't deadlift. It's a point worth driving home until it's a paradigm.

first post, trying out:

I read the article and i it's something I have been thinking about a lot lately. Why act like a pro if I am just a regular dude who takes his training very serious?

All these resistance training excersises I see on youtube, all this 'fast lifting your weights instead of lifting them oldskool slow'.. I only know them from youtube or forums where members tell me I should do this or that.

I see nothing wrong with just going for simple sets/reps of 3x8, 3x15, 3x6.. I am sure it will add to my MA training + in the end it's more about skill/technique for me anyway. I don't want my strength training mess up my technique training

I found the 11 myths very interesting to read, because this man knows so much and he explains the things I have been questioning lately very good.

This one seems a little strange.. Might just be driving the point home of not over-training, but I thought it was really important to push yourself HARD in order to get an elite level of conditioning.

Also 160 heart rate seems way low for a fight.

Interesting read and mostly a bunch of things that seem legit.

In my first week of thaiboxing I did the same weight lifting routine I had been doing over the years (4 times a week), after 2/3 weeks of doing that, I felt really messed up. I should be having a lot of energy but I really wasn't

I upped my cardio at the gym, i cutted down the weight lifting and now I was ready to focus again on my conditioning at both gyms

So indeed, i think its about 'over-training'.. weight lifting should help me in my thaibox, not let me feel extremely fatique

All these resistance training excersises I see on youtube, all this 'fast lifting your weights instead of lifting them oldskool slow'.. I only know them from youtube or forums where members tell me I should do this or that.

wtf is this, you should always be lifting as quickly and as powerfully as possible, if the weight is heavy enough it won't look as if the bar is going that fast and it won't

you strive to put 405 lbs of force on both 275lbs and 355lbs for example, one will look fast the other much slower, a good lifter when working heavy will never slow himself down, the weight is just heavy enough that the force that he produces does not create much acceleration, if the bar was lighter it should be flying

what is oldskool slow?

I agree. But if your only knowledge comes from youtube or forums and you are not at a gym with a good fitness instructor (which happens a lot, especially in big gyms) you could think that you just need to lift fast

That was what i was trying to say, i need to explain myself better

You need to perform the weight lifting as correct as possible

Probably one of the best articles I've read on Sherdog in like a month.

too bad it's from Tnation, a bodybuild website haha I think me as a fighter can learn from them because they know a lot about how the body works altough it's a different sport

I have still a lot of questions about strength and condition but first I will try to find out how the search function works

Thats pretty funny. Just a week ago I read some article about how athletes dont push themselves hard enough. In that article he takes the exact same comparison with the NFL teams trying to support the opposite argument.

Thats hilarious come to think of it. I have to find that one but I have no clue where I read that.

Anyone else neck hurt just looking at that neck harness? Pretty sure that would rip my head off... Maybe those are 45's and it's not as crazy.. but they look like 100lb plates.

i watched a bunch of Martin Rooney's videos on youtube and all he does is circuits. it's like the exact opposite of this article. and he also always points like a feg at the beginning of each video.

Back