11 Myths of Warrior Training by Martin Rooney (from T-Nation)

Im changing my routine so its primarily focused and centered around the neckharness. Goal is to hoist 400lbs via neck.

75378-TrollFace.png

This article presents a PL-heavy MMA routine and even then doesn't include Squats or Bench Pressing as Top 8 MMA exercises. Just notice, everyone, please.

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook earlier today. It's a pretty good article. My only issue is that he repeatedly says that people should keep it simple with the basic compound lifts but then he fails to include squats in his list at the end. In general though, a pretty good article.

This article presents a PL-heavy MMA routine and even then doesn't include Squats or Bench Pressing as Top 8 MMA exercises. Just notice, everyone, please.

You're a little late to the party :)

he said that you should do, "Squats, deadlifts, bench presses, power cleans; the basics, combined with some sprinting and some stretching. It may not be glamorous, but it makes you stronger and faster."

I took a break from training to heal my hands and I started reading about strength and conditioning and he echoes the same message Rippetoe and Tsatsouline preach. Get stronger with the main exercises and you can't go wrong and don't believe the hype behind other programs.

anyway, I am just beginning training this year and for the first time I am starting to lift weights seriously and I am excited. I start on the 16th and I can't wait to do some deadlifts (I've never done them and I am 24) and some overhead squats. I won't have good numbers at first and it'll be hard but the dividends are huge because those lifts are compound lifts that emphasize the combination of ankle, knee, and hip flexion.

it's crazy to think people don't do it the simple way. I'll see why in a few days when I start.

he said that you should do, "Squats, deadlifts, bench presses, power cleans; the basics, combined with some sprinting and some stretching. It may not be glamorous, but it makes you stronger and faster."

I took a break from training to heal my hands and I started reading about strength and conditioning and he echoes the same message Rippetoe and Tsatsouline preach. Get stronger with the main exercises and you can't go wrong and don't believe the hype behind other programs.

anyway, I am just beginning training this year and for the first time I am starting to lift weights seriously and I am excited. I start on the 16th and I can't wait to do some deadlifts (I've never done them and I am 24) and some overhead squats. I won't have good numbers at first and it'll be hard but the dividends are huge because those lifts are compound lifts that emphasize the combination of ankle, knee, and hip flexion.

it's crazy to think people don't do it the simple way. I'll see why in a few days when I start.
People dont do it the simple way because its harder and scarier to pick up or squat down with something thats probably much heavier than the heaviest thing you've ever lifted before, and probably much heavier than yourself. The potential for injury when doing barbell squats appears higher than when doing curls and using machines. If its an option it helps to film your sets to see if your form is good, and watching the set you just did is a good way to pass the time between sets and see where you need to make adjustments.

People dont do it the simple way because its harder and scarier to pick up or squat down with something thats probably much heavier than the heaviest thing you've ever lifted before, and probably much heavier than yourself. The potential for injury when doing barbell squats appears higher than when doing curls and using machines. If its an option it helps to film your sets to see if your form is good, and watching the set you just did is a good way to pass the time between sets and see where you need to make adjustments.

true. it can be very dangerous and that's why a lot of people don't do it. every beginner has to make a serious effort to have good form right from the beginning. I am going to watch starting strength over again and practice form first a few times before jumping in.

Since a lot of the article advocates more towards HIIT i have a question i didnt want to start a thread about...

whats a good HIIT exercise aside from sprints & burpees? the ground around where i live right now is way to messed up to do sprints safely and burpees absolutely murder my thighs lol. i guess i could try them without trying to explode as much as possible on each up but i dunno...

Last edited:
C2 rower is the tits for HIIT.

Since a lot of the article advocates more towards HIIT i have a question i didnt want to start a thread about...

whats a good HIIT exercise aside from sprints & burpees? the ground around where i live right now is way to messed up to do sprints safely and burpees absolutely murder my thighs lol. i guess i could try them without trying to explode as much as possible on each up but i dunno...

VersaClimber?

Also, Jacob's Ladder...and you can't really go wrong with the Airdyne either.

Sleds pulls/pushes are a great choice too. Farmers walks can be taxing.

C2 rower is the tits for HIIT.

I just added this to my routine yesterday as part of a new year cardio resolution. Rowing at full intensity is pretty freakin intense. Not only did I look like a complete spaz, but the chain makes this strange whipping noises as it flops back violently into the pulley. Talk about unwanted attention, hahah.

Circuit training and density work are essential for MMA but cannot be overused.
Fighters should do more basic strenght & power work and power endurance.

BTW, Rooney has his fighters do two "Hurricane" sessions a week which are basically circuits.

Back