Why do people in North American drink light beer?

Light beer is awful. How many times do you have to take a piss before you even get a buzz? Like 10x... Running to the bathroom all the time. It's basically water.

Regular beer you only have to piss like 3x before you get a buzz.

I drink the cheap off brands like Natural Ice that have 5.8% alcohol. Beer doesn't taste good either way. The light beers are around 4.2% alcohol content. They also cost wayyyyy more than the cheap brands that have more alcohol in them.

Call me poor if you want but I'm just drinking beer smarter I say.

Why not just something other than beer?

The American craft beer scene has moved beyond Europeans in a lot of ways. Most of the top rated beers coming out in the world are coming out of the US.

I am a slave to my experience but I'll believe you.

In nice climates you don't want beers like that.
Occasionally in middle of winter sure but otherwise no dice.
Speak for yourself. I live in California this is a nice climate...

Keep in mind the days of "I just drink this beer" are dead. When I get together with friends every beer is different, and we are drinking many styles.

yeah other than Belgium I feel like even the Germans are ridiculously far behind the USA. Most European countries produce a fairly limited selection of beers. The U.K. might aight though. They’re really the ones who developed a large % of the ales we enjoy today. I’ve heard that a lot of the styles are kind of dying out right now though- basically the exact opposite of what’s been happening it in America
Craft beer is like hipster music, once murricans are in, the europeans drop it.

I thought it was revealed that the alcohol content in light beers were a lie. The real number is around 2%.
That would be against the law not to present the proper ABV...

The reason light beers are light is not because of alcohol strength it's because of the use of adjuncts like corn and rice, which provide simple sugars that are easily consumed by sacchromyces without leaving behind any residual dextrines. It's done to give the beer a thin body and light flavor profile.

Last edited:
Light beer has less calories. Therefore, we drink twice as much and don't feel guilty about the empty calories we just consumed.

Sure, the alcohol is the same (so we consume twice the booze), but as long as we feel better about ourselves.

I'll also predict that light beer is sold mostly in bulk and peopl think it will be easier to carry because it is "lighter."

It's more of an American thing. Us Canadians don't drink that piss nearly as much.

I like the taste of micro brew Ale. Except IPA. Dafuq is wrong with people drinking a beer that tastes like i licked a pine tree..

I remember reading a scientific study once that Americans are literally the gayest drinkers in the western world

I think this is why light beer came about :/

Euro trash pours lemonade in beer so I don't even want to hear that shit.

I'm thinking these are valid reasons. However, I would just drink less full strength beers and drink water in between drinks. Maybe you guys just have shit beer in North America.

Europe has good beer so I think they also mostly drink full strength.

North America has by far the best breweries in the world. It’s not even close.

Actually, fuck Canada. USA has the best breweries in the world.

Had a German brewmaster tell me that due to the advent of the micro brewery, the United States produces the best beers in the world. Obviously his opinion but the sheer amount of breweries in the states makes a good case for it.

It's hilarious to read through this thread and theres a few non-US posters thinking they are going to have a field day saying American beer sucks yet little do they know how stupid they sound when anyone who is in the know about the current situation for beer on a world wide scale knows the American craft beer scene has basically taken over the top ranks.

It's hilarious to read through this thread and theres a few non-US posters thinking they are going to have a field day saying American beer sucks yet little do they know how stupid they sound when anyone who is in the know about the current situation for beer on a world wide scale knows the American craft beer scene has basically taken over the top ranks.
Best part is, I'm Danish.

I'm thinking these are valid reasons. However, I would just drink less full strength beers and drink water in between drinks. Maybe you guys just have shit beer in North America.

Europe has good beer so I think they also mostly drink full strength.

Married to a Brit. Have traveled all around the UK and Europe. The good micro brews in the US are light years ahead of anything I have tried across the pond. I love good beer and I also have a taste for watery session beers like bud light.

Edit: Her dad agrees with me regarding quality american beers being better than EU swill.

I only drink light beers while doing yard work. An ice cold Coors light tastes wonderful when I"m about halfway through mowing the yard.

Some people like drinking more than they like getting hammered.

I am a slave to my experience but I'll believe you.
Your experience(as most people from other countries) is most likely with macrolagers which for the most part are garbage beers made with garbage ingredients.

Men probably buy it because women will actually drink it. Habit forms.

Because Americans are binge drinkers. Drinking light beer enables someone to drink more, and for longer. But yeah, light beer is hit is girlie beer.
If I'm not mistaken it's actually the Australians that are binge drinkers. I live in Canada and also have a ton of family in Australia, this is evident at family gatherings.

Family gatherings in Canada means only the adults between 25-55 are drinking alcohol and no one gets unruly. When we had a family gathering in Australia I swear to god every one was drunk, even the 80 year olds. Pretty sure I even saw my 16 year old cousin plastered.......can't be certain I was wasted myself.

Australia has a huge drinking culture.

Back