Warhammer 40k

How much do you think of the old fluff is completely obsolete now, do you think?

I'm of the opinion that the old fluff (Star Child, Squats, Jokero, the Sensei, Mentors and the like) have been completely laid to rest. Either that, or in-universe, are just wild theories. There's nothing in the new fluff re: 30k that even hints at those things being a part of the universe. The Emprah is what he seems like what he is.

How much do you think of the old fluff is completely obsolete now, do you think?

I'm of the opinion that the old fluff (Star Child, Squats, Jokero, the Sensei, Mentors and the like) have been completely laid to rest. Either that, or in-universe, are just wild theories. There's nothing in the new fluff re: 30k that even hints at those things being a part of the universe. The Emprah is what he seems like what he is.

there still considered cannon for sure.

hell the Demiurg are considered cannon as well, i beleive they replace the squats

the black ship

Jokaero still have a model+rules, the Mentors still exist and even got a blurb in the 6th ed SM codex, and I'm pretty sure that squats got a mention in the 6th ed core fluff book (not a big one, it was just a line or two about how they were nommed by the nids).

Though the Sensei plot line hasn't really been touched on in, like, a decade, so it's probably largely abandoned.

@GhostZ06 @jbshroeds

Interesting. I haven't even looked at the 6e Codex. I'm in it for the fluff. And the video games. Much more like the fluff than tabletop.

What's it say about the Mentors? Why can't they be Primarchs again?

I'm broke for the next month so this is on the back burner but at the top of the list when I splurge is going to be those custom plate frames I was talking about. I've decided on "WAAAGH!!!" on the bottom line and "MOAR DAKKA!"

Aw shit. I just changed my mind while writing this post. "DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!"

You guys help me decide.

Now I just need a way to fit this as a decal on the back (tastefully, of course):

1505.jpg

I'd replace the badge, if I could.

@GhostZ06 @jbshroeds

Interesting. I haven't even looked at the 6e Codex. I'm in it for the fluff. And the video games. Much more like the fluff than tabletop.

What's it say about the Mentors? Why can't they be Primarchs again?

I'm broke for the next month so this is on the back burner but at the top of the list when I splurge is going to be those custom plate frames I was talking about. I've decided on "WAAAGH!!!" on the bottom line and "MOAR DAKKA!"

Aw shit. I just changed my mind while writing this post. "DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!"

You guys help me decide.

Now I just need a way to fit this as a decal on the back (tastefully, of course):

1505.jpg

I'd replace the badge, if I could.

lmao! your gonna put that on your car? You'll need a V8 and it to be loud

Jokaero still have a model+rules, the Mentors still exist and even got a blurb in the 6th ed SM codex, and I'm pretty sure that squats got a mention in the 6th ed core fluff book (not a big one, it was just a line or two about how they were nommed by the nids).

Though the Sensei plot line hasn't really been touched on in, like, a decade, so it's probably largely abandoned.

Aren't the Demiurg considered Squats? or something like them?

Nope, they are xenos afaik, not abhuman like squats.

yeah but they are Dwarf like and pretty god damn advanced. In terms of fleet warfare they crap on the imperium of man

Also anyone everyone why the alpha legions pre heresy name was the "ghost legion" and the wolfs where the rut, sallymander where called the dragon an apparently where all created in secrect.

i wonder why that is....

Alpha legion is even stranger...

GW's starter sets have been fantastic for the last couple editions. But I'm not sure that I'll be picking this one up. The chaos dudes don't fit in my collection and I'm sort of iffy on whether I want the new primaris marines or not.

I think I'm going to pick up a box of the primaris marines with plasma guns, paint them my regular space wolves colour, but paint a sun coming out of each models arse.

I think I'm going to pick up a box of the primaris marines with plasma guns, paint them my regular space wolves colour, but paint a sun coming out of each models arse.
goatse marines?

I'll get new marines regardless and introduce them to boons of Chaos via conversion.

We've gotten a comparison picture of the dudes in the starter compared to a normal marine. And holy shit the dude on the left is fucking huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge. He's like the size of one of FW's primarcs. No me gusta.
Screenshot_2017-05-23-20-26-53-1.png

What's it say about the Mentors?
There's a section at the end of the chapter description chapter called "Unknown Foundings" which talks in brief about a number of chapters. These are the parts that mention Mentors:
"The Mentors Chapter, for example, have no official progenitor, but their insular nature and preference for launching precision strikes supports widely held beliefs amongst the Administratum that they are a Raven Guard Successor."
"[Next to a picture of color scheme and chapter symbol] ]The Mentors are untrusting of others, and prefer to work alone and unobserved. Imperial records indicate that companies of the Mentors are currently engaged against the Eldar of Biel-Tan Craftworld as well as the Orks of the Charadon system"

Bump for pimaris marines

They and gulliman are due new book set after gathering storm/ aka 'present day 40k'

Also gaunts ghosts last book dec 2017

yeah but they are Dwarf like and pretty god damn advanced. In terms of fleet warfare they crap on the imperium of man

Also anyone everyone why the alpha legions pre heresy name was the "ghost legion" and the wolfs where the rut, sallymander where called the dragon an apparently where all created in secrect.

i wonder why that is....

Alpha legion is even stranger...

The wolves, alpha legion and salamanders were all created together in secret and were kept apart from the other astartes. My belief is that they were created specifically to police the other legions once the crusade had ended. The alpha legion are covert ops types, the salamanders are protectors who are conscientious about civilians and like their Primarch, have the uncanny ability to rebound from severe losses. The Wolves are savage executioners who are completely obedient to the Emperor. I think they were intended to work together. If a legion was suspected of heresy or rebellion, the alpha legion would infiltrate and investigate. if Heresy was found, they would sabotage, then the salamanders would deploy to protect the local civilians and take the brunt of the fighting, while the wolves prepped to take out the rebel primarch.

The wolves, alpha legion and salamanders were all created together in secret and were kept apart from the other astartes. My belief is that they were created specifically to police the other legions once the crusade had ended. The alpha legion are covert ops types, the salamanders are protectors who are conscientious about civilians and like their Primarch, have the uncanny ability to rebound from severe losses. The Wolves are savage executioners who are completely obedient to the Emperor. I think they were intended to work together. If a legion was suspected of heresy or rebellion, the alpha legion would infiltrate and investigate. if Heresy was found, they would sabotage, then the salamanders would deploy to protect the local civilians and take the brunt of the fighting, while the wolves prepped to take out the rebel primarch.
to bolster this argument
while their were deeper machinations behind the wolves being sent to deal with magnus, there is a reason why the wolves were sent after magnus they are the emperors executioners and it is mentioned in several different books that the wolves either were or rumored to have been released in the sanctioning of the forgotten primarchs, and the attempted sanctioning of angron. They aren't the enforcers by being the meanest or scariest, that is the night lords the wolves serve a different function.

Back