Student who stabbed boyfriend may avoid jail time because it would damage her career

He's actually one of the few that understands how things work. Have you ever seen a community corrections program report? They are calculating their chance of recidivism. Past criminal history, education, employment (or potential for it), family support system, etc. are all factors, as they should be. The entire point is to evaluate if keeping someone out of society is beneficial or not. There is no way you'd ever convince me, or any rational person, that everyone should be treated the same in that context. The law has never been very black and white either. Attorneys argue the grey area constantly.

So she shouldn't get a week in the can for stabbing someone because she's smart. Smart enough to get fucked up and stab a dude with a butter knife. Makes sense she won't do it again

This isn't some new concept. Aggravating and mitigating circumstances are always taken into consideration with sentencing. Judges even get letters from citizens to try to persuade a more lenient sentence. Factors are always considered when sentencing the punishment.

Go play somewhere

Man, back when I was in school, if you got good grades, you'd get a discount at Chuck'E Cheeses or something like that.

You haven't even countered any of my points. It's not like the system has ever been: You committed the crime of __________, and now your sentence is exactly _____________. Sentencing can range greatly in the same crime. I'm not even arguing about this particular case as I haven't read much on it, but it's absolutely ridiculous to argue that aggravating and mitigating circumstances do not have a place in sentencing. There is no way you should treat someone who has excelled in society with a bright future the same way as someone who hasn't and presents a greater perceived risk to society in the future.

He's actually one of the few that understands how things work. Have you ever seen a community corrections program report? They are calculating their chance of recidivism. Past criminal history, education, employment (or potential for it), family support system, etc. are all factors, as they should be. The entire point is to evaluate if keeping someone out of society is beneficial or not. There is no way you'd ever convince me, or any rational person, that everyone should be treated the same in that context. The law has never been very black and white either. Attorneys argue the grey area constantly.

<{hmmm}>

You haven't even countered any of my points. It's not like the system has ever been: You committed the crime of __________, and now your sentence is exactly _____________. Sentencing can range greatly in the same crime. I'm not even arguing about this particular case as I haven't read much on it, but it's absolutely ridiculous to argue that aggravating and mitigating circumstances do not have a place in sentencing. There is no way you should treat someone who has excelled in society with a bright future the same way as someone who hasn't and presents a greater perceived risk to society in the future.

You're a clown

Hey that chick is so smart and has lived in this world without incident for 25 years, so lets let her stab some dude on drugs and not punish her at all.

Derp

That judge should be removed from his position. Why the hell do they say justice is blind and all are equal in the eyes of the law?

He cannot make that decision. His role is to explicitly abide by the law.

So because they "excelled in society" they should get leniency? Really????

So because they "excelled in society" they should get leniency? Really????

It literally blows my mind that people do not realize this is how it works and was intended to work. Have you not read any court cases, read judges' explanations for their sentencings, heard argument from defenses, etc? The evaluation by the judge who is sentencing factors in if the they perceive the defendant to be a risk to society. How someone has done in society factors into the prediction for if they are a further risk. This is a major argument made in most court cases. Ever heard of a "character witness"?

How is this not obvious? Do you think they are going to treat a drug dealer on the corner or someone that has had several police reports or complaints the same as a business owner with a good past history? Of course not. This happens in everyday life too. If I have an employee with a bad track history, I'm not going to treat them exactly the same as someone who breaks the same rule if the latter has been a perfect employee.

it's good to be white in the criminal justice system, even better if you have money.

It literally blows my mind that people do not realize this is how it works and was intended to work. Have you not read any court cases, read judges' explanations for their sentencings, heard argument from defenses, etc? The evaluation by the judge who is sentencing factors in if the they perceive the defendant to be a risk to society. How someone has done in society factors into the prediction for if they are a further risk. This is a major argument made in most court cases. Ever heard of a "character witness"?

How is this not obvious? Do you think they are going to treat a drug dealer on the corner or someone that has had several police reports or complaints the same as a business owner with a good past history? Of course not. This happens in everyday life too. If I have an employee with a bad track history, I'm not going to treat them exactly the same as someone who breaks the same rule if the latter has been a perfect employee.

What about that Medical student who murdered that girl in Boston? The Craigslist Killer. He didn't publish enough papers? lol

This piece of shit only got 3 weeks of home detention. And he can get out of the house for basketball practice and church.

I like how the video title says he body slammed her. Yeah, into the water. That is a dip, not a body slam.

What about that Medical student who murdered that girl in Boston? The Craigslist Killer. He didn't publish enough papers? lol

Look, I'm not defending in this particular case because I don't know the details. I'm just stating that everyday there are different sentences handed out for the same crime. Many factors are considered for sentencing, and certainly someone's future job prospects and position in society is going to be factored. Past history is a big indicator as well.

I like how the video title says he body slammed her. Yeah, into the water. That is a dip, not a body slam.

Exactly. The slam was unintentional, he slipped and dropped her. Still a complete dick move to try and throw her in the pool, but "body slam" is a bit of an overreaction.

Exactly. The slam was unintentional, he slipped and dropped her. Still a complete dick move to try and throw her in the pool, but "body slam" is a bit of an overreaction.
Yeah, the guy is a cunt. But whoever titled that video wanted to make it worse than it was, which really isn't necessary. It's bad enough to throw an old lady in a pool. Granted, body slamming her on cement would be much worse.

Everyone should be allowed to stab someone once without getting a jail sentence. But only once!

Back