Gym idiots

Stolen from Reddit.

YdsbZce.gif

What are safeties? What is spotting? What are squats?
c23_zpsrejfb2oe.jpg

What the fuck am I looking at???

And respect...no respect for anyone using the stair stepper. There are better ways to warm-up or kill time.

-
images

I use one of these a fair bit at the gym, they get me sweaty and breathing hard, heartrate goes up, legs get tired, low impact. What's your problem?

-
images

I use one of these a fair bit at the gym, they get me sweaty and breathing hard, heartrate goes up, legs get tired, low impact. What's your problem?
No problem, just when I see a guy on those things considering all the other options I just laugh. I just do and not sorry about it.

No problem, just when I see a guy on those things considering all the other options I just laugh. I just do and not sorry about it.

Sounds like you spend way too much time worrying about what other people are doing. Do you always go around laughing at people that don't do the exact same thing you do at the gym? Because if they aren't doing what you're doing, then obviously they're a bunch of idiots in need of being laughed at.

I thought this thread was going to be about people doing weird shit at the gym but it turns out that it's just a bunch of guys paying way too much attention to what other guys are doing. If no one is being weird or obnoxious, just do your work out, don't worry about what other people are doing and shut the fuck up.

Pls explain why all the other options are better?

Sounds like you spend way too much time worrying about what other people are doing. Do you always go around laughing at people that don't do the exact same thing you do at the gym? Because if they aren't doing what you're doing, then obviously they're a bunch of idiots in need of being laughed at.

I thought this thread was going to be about people doing weird shit at the gym but it turns out that it's just a bunch of guys paying way too much attention to what other guys are doing. If no one is being weird or obnoxious, just do your work out, don't worry about what other people are doing and shut the fuck up.

I agree. Honestly, I prefer to keep to myself when I'm training, and couldn't give two shits what other people in my gym are doing when I've got a training session to worry about.

Sounds like you spend way too much time worrying about what other people are doing...
Worried? No. Find things humorous? Very much so. I have a list of things I have seen.

A guy on a stair master I find completely weird.

Pls explain why all the other options are better?
The stair master is to mimik stairs. If I had some reason I would want to utilize the stair method I would go to the stairs in the gym, at my condo, at the bleachers in the HS Football field and so on.

You usually have Elliptical and Stationary bike which allows you to go a lot harder or just as easy as the Stair Master. If you are really lucky they might have a Rowing machine which IMHO is top notch, and Airdyne which is just as good.

The stair master is to mimik stairs. If I had some reason I would want to utilize the stair method I would go to the stairs in the gym, at my condo, at the bleachers in the HS Football field and so on.

You usually have Elliptical and Stationary bike which allows you to go a lot harder or just as easy as the Stair Master. If you are really lucky they might have a Rowing machine which IMHO is top notch, and Airdyne which is just as good.

" The stationary bike is to mimic bikes. If I had some reason I would want to utilize the bike method I would go on the bike in my streets, in the woods, at the skatepark in my city and so on..."

You have yet to supply an actual reason as to why the stairmaster is a 'weird' choice, aside from the fact that you can walk up actual stairs instead. But that logic applies to the treadmill, bike/airdyne, rowing machine etc... so what's up?

Stairmaster allows me to get in some LISS while working on muscular endurance in a way that simulates (to some degree IMO) hiking, which is what I do on a regular basis in the summer.

" The stationary bike is to mimic bikes. If I had some reason I would want to utilize the bike method I would go on the bike in my streets, in the woods, at the skatepark in my city and so on..."

You have yet to supply an actual reason as to why the stairmaster is a 'weird' choice, aside from the fact that you can walk up actual stairs instead. But that logic applies to the treadmill, bike/airdyne, rowing machine etc... so what's up?

Stairmaster allows me to get in some LISS while working on muscular endurance in a way that simulates (to some degree IMO) hiking, which is what I do on a regular basis in the summer.
Whatever floats your boat. You seem awfully concerned what I think. Why is that?

I was interested in your statement because I use the stairmaster, and I care about training effectively. I was curious if you had actual, legitimate criticism of the stairmaster, if there was something I could learn, if there was a better use of my time (based on evidence/studies) but I see that you're logic comes down to 'steppers are for phags'.

I'm now satisfied you have no valid arguments regarding this topic, thanks for your time.

I was interested in your statement because I use the stairmaster, and I care about training effectively. I was curious if you had actual, legitimate criticism of the stairmaster, if there was something I could learn, if there was a better use of my time (based on evidence/studies) but I see that you're logic comes down to 'steppers are for phags'.

I'm now satisfied you have no valid arguments regarding this topic, thanks for your time.
Here is something legitimate past personal opinion/view.

Rowing and Airdyne are IMHO the best because not only do you do conditioning but they BOTH work the entire body. All others are limited in the conditioning. Standard Stationary bike even the most expensive ones really just work the lower half much like the stair master. Elliptical I don't find as challenging and feel it mostly in the legs. In fact, the only time I use elliptical is when I come in from the freezing cold and just need to warm up; 5-minutes to the "hardest" setting and even that isn't that big of a deal but at least warms me up.

But if you take the method of stairs, lets say "Bleachers" by carrying something heavy (log, rock, sandbag) you can work the entire body and grip depending on what you are carrying and how.

OK that's better.

Why do I need to work my whole body? I'm training my cardiovascular system, not my upper body conditioning. I climb 4 days a week. I have speciific times where I focus my climbing on endurance and recovery; I train upper body conditioning in a sport-specific setting. Days off I hit the stepper (or bike, or jogging) for a bit of cardio while allowing my upper body to rest.

OK that's better.

Why do I need to work my whole body? I'm training my cardiovascular system, not my upper body conditioning. I climb 4 days a week. I have speciific times where I focus my climbing on endurance and recovery; I train upper body conditioning in a sport-specific setting. Days off I hit the stepper (or bike, or jogging) for a bit of cardio while allowing my upper body to rest.

I am not a big fan of the word "Should" BUT I am a big fan of getting more bang for your buck. For instance, I am a gripping fanatic, BUT I found the training boring and 1-dimensional. So venturing past the norm I found ways to develop the grip while developing other areas. Which is why I am also a fan of full-body conditioning: burpees, rowing, Airdyne, and so on.

Going back to the grip, I use Fat Gripz on anything I can fit them on. When doing body rows I am known to use either a towel or a manilla rope, and so on.

I used to climb and I feel you, but full body conditioning IMHO would help you more than harm you. But that is just me. In the end, you won't know till you try and try for awhile.

I am not a big fan of the word "Should" BUT I am a big fan of getting more bang for your buck. For instance, I am a gripping fanatic, BUT I found the training boring and 1-dimensional. So venturing past the norm I found ways to develop the grip while developing other areas. Which is why I am also a fan of full-body conditioning: burpees, rowing, Airdyne, and so on.

Going back to the grip, I use Fat Gripz on anything I can fit them on. When doing body rows I am known to use either a towel or a manilla rope, and so on.

I used to climb and I feel you, but full body conditioning IMHO would help you more than harm you. But that is just me. In the end, you won't know till you try and try for awhile.

I've been climbing for over 2 decades. I need to rest in between sessions.

And I also prefer to get the most bang for my buck, except I view it entirely different than you. When I perform an exercise I am doing so for a specific purpose, and would like to devote 100% to that purpose. If I am doing deadlifts, I want to strengthen my posterior chain, hammys, etc.... I am not looking to introduce artificial difficulty by trying to include grip work as well, as I have specific sessions where I do that.

But I am definitely no expert, this is just the philosophy I've currently arrived at.

1) Asked a guy how many sets he had left on the bench press. He responded by saying "ahhh i dont really know im just kinda messin around. You can work in if u want im just trying to kill some time"

2) Unfortunately this ones me... Doing decline situps and i decided to grab a 15 lb medicine ball beside me and for some reason held it directly in front of my face. As im going up i knock the ball off of a handle that helps you get back up. The ball smashes directly into my nose and makes my eyes water. Just had to laugh at myself in case anybody saw what just transpired

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back