GSP is the P4P king. He is undefeated in a stacked division.

I see your point about Jones' claim for P4P ranking and respect it. Gustaffson is going to be Jones' toughest fight to date and I hope Cormier can make 205 so Jones can fight him. I respect Jones but think GSP is just a step above him on the ladder because he's held the championship longer than Jones.

Gsp does have the longevity thing on his side for sure and he did have a really good run in his younger years. I don't dislike him at all, in fact I'm glad I had the opportunity to watch and appreciate his career, he's a rare talent just like Anderson Aldo and Jon.

i think right now it's jones (if only AS didnt lose)

If he can't even finish people in his own division then it's ridiculous to think he's p4p king. Jon Jones all day err day.

finishing is about excitement

winning is winning

jones might surpass gsp one day (probably soon)

but gsp has the resume and more overall better body of work

Gsp does have the longevity thing on his side for sure and he did have a really good run in his younger years. I don't dislike him at all, in fact I'm glad I had the opportunity to watch and appreciate his career, he's a rare talent just like Anderson Aldo and Jon.

If Jones beats Gustaffson and Cormier then I think he deserves top P4P status. My favorite fighter is a welterweight and I am hoping he gets a crack at GSP before Georges goes off to the movie career he desires.

As opposed to George's wins over bj, Matt Serra and Sean Sherk? Atleast Jon didn't get knocked out by someone a weight class below him.

Because Serra, was very well known for fighting at 155, correct? BJ was a WW champion.

What you're trying to say, is fucked. The two aren't comparable.

I haven't heard one good reason yet as to why Jon Jones should be #1 P4P over GSP

He should be undefeated barring that DQ to Hamill.

He's beaten 5 UFC champs in a row. Finished 4 of them effortlessly via TKO and submission.

He's finished all but 3 of his opponents. The only recent one is Rashad and the other two decisions were his first 2 fights in the UFC.

He's the best in the world. Not even close.

So what you're saying is, they aren't noted as middleweights?

Because they've done SO MUCH at 205.

Vitor isn't a small man.

To be fair both gsp and Jon have fought guys from a lower weight class. The only difference is Jon didn't lose to one.

Does anyone else feel the Aldo should be up there in this discussion as well. He gained a lot in my books by defeating Edgar.

Andersons first defeat in the UFC at the end of his career, vs GSP who had 2 defeats in the UFC.

Anderson that finishes most of his fights in dominant fashion plus moved up in weight to fight 3 times, while GSP goes to decision for all his fights.

Wow doesn't belong in the same category? That's just ridiculous. I don't care where he's ranked P4P and all that other stuff but he clearly belongs in the same category as the others. He's the greatest WW of all time and might be one of the most well rounded and skilled fighters we've ever seen.

Maybe that's a fair point, I'll just put him 4th after those guys I mentioned.

The thing that bothers me the most about GSP, is that I think he could be a killer if he fought to finish people instead of clock-running. He is ironically, wasting his potential. Speaking as an MMA fan here. I know he's keeping his "brand" safe with his boring style.

Does anyone realize they're discussing some kind of magical ranking system, that holds absolutely no weight...

"My hero I worship is better than yours!"

Welterweight division is SO stacked that when Demian Maia dropped down, he went 3-0 against the top welterweight guys. Yeah. Very "stacked".

To be fair, Demian Maia did well at 185 too. Everybody he lost to was a very legit threat at the time they beat him. In fact, you could still put all of them in the top 10 at 185 today except for Marquardt, who Maia fought early in his career. Maybe 170 is just the right weight class for him. It doesn't mean it's a weaker division. Marquart moved down to 170 and has gone 1-2 since. Jake Shields has struggled against guys like Akiyama at 170, yet dominated Dan Henderson at 185. It doesn't prove which division is more stacked. Certain fighters are just better fit for certain weight classes. Perhaps Demian Maia is just better fit for 170.

Because Serra, was very well known for fighting at 155, correct? BJ was a WW champion.

What you're trying to say, is fucked. The two aren't comparable.

Equally Unimpressive runs in both divisions I think.

To me vitor is a more credible win at lhw than bj (way too undersized) Matt Serra or Sean Sherk are at ww

If he can't even finish people in his own division then it's ridiculous to think he's p4p king. Jon Jones all day err day.

If they were the same size who would win? Thats what pfp means! Not this bastardized vertion that sherdoggers have. I got Georges as#1 on a real pfp list not the most finish's list.

finishing is about excitement

winning is winning

jones might surpass gsp one day (probably soon)

but gsp has the resume and more overall better body of work

Are we talking about all-time or current p4p king? Cause GSP is neither of those while Jones is the latter.

Winning is winning when it comes to records and divisional belts but when you're comparing the dominance of two guys who will never fight eachother, higher level considerations come into play. Finishing your opponent is the highest form of dominating your opponent. Like it or not, a decision victory is and always will be someone's opinion of who won a fight. Fights ending with a finish end with a decisive fact of who won the fight.

It would be one thing if GSP's decision wins were of the Fedor vs Nog variety, where the involvement of a clock with time limits was the only thing preventing Fedor from beating Nog to death. The clock literally saved Nog. GSP, on the other hand, uses the clock as his means of victory by running it out before his opponent has a chance to beat him. It's good enough to win fights and hold his divisional belt, but it makes for a weak argument of dominance.

If Jones beats Gustaffson and Cormier then I think he deserves top P4P status. My favorite fighter is a welterweight and I am hoping he gets a crack at GSP before Georges goes off to the movie career he desires.

God if jones has to Lose I hope it's to Gus and not DC. I find DC to be unbearable, rarely do I dislike a fighter just based off of their personality but yeah DC, no thanks.

The thing that bothers me the most about GSP, is that I think he could be a killer if he fought to finish people instead of clock-running. He is ironically, wasting his potential. Speaking as an MMA fan here. I know he's keeping his "brand" safe with his boring style.

It bothers all of us beleive me. After the third round I'm pretty much done with any GSP fight. There is no question that he could be a killer this has already been proven early on in his career.

GSP is the best P4P right now for a few reasons. First off, the guy is a 2x Welterweight champ and has been champion for years now (noticeably longer than Jones). His title reign has had every guy that was supposed to beat him fail at doing it. The only close call he's had since he lost to Serra (which I consider a fluke punch but whatever, he avenged it brutally in their rematch) was against Condit with that head kick that was crazy and out of nowhere. GSP was composed this time though and he fought Condit off, got back to his feet and continued to win the fight in dominant fashion. That's a fucking champion for you.

Second, GSP outclasses every guy he fights. Again, 1 close call in many years. That's insane considering the dangerous guys he's fought. GSP neutralizes ALL of his opponents because he's by far the most well-rounded champion we have. His striking is great (best jab in MMA), best superman punch in MMA, best single and double-leg takedowns in MMA, and likely the most athletic guy in MMA (he's certainly top 3).

Third, his last 3 opponents have been major MMA organization champions themselves. He's fought back-to-back-to-back champions ffs. He fought Shields on a huge streak after beating Dan Henderson at MW in Strikeforce (when Shields was their MW champion) and GSP beat him, even dropped him with a head kick. Shields eye poked him on purpose (a fact at this point, read up on it, see the pics and the slow-mo video footage) and he beat the guy with one working eye. He then suffered a could've been career ending injury (ACL tear that needed reconstruction) and came back after being out basically 1 1/2 years and still ended up beating Condit (former WEC WW champ) and doing it pretty one-sidedly. This was a very rusty GSP too. He last fought Diaz (former Strikeforce WW champ) and beat him very one-sidedly even with an achilles tendon injury (which is why some of his takedowns got stuffed later on, it became aggravated as the fight progressed).

GSP's caliber of opponents have all been high (save Hardy) and dangerous. Many were major organization champions (along with GSP beating the former WW GOAT in Hughes twice and the former LW GOAT in Penn twice). He also smashed Fitch and Alves, even with a groin tear, like it was nothing. He beat KOS easily, twice, and KOS is certainly one of the best wrestlers in MMA and one of the most athletic guys with KO power.

As for Jones... he beat an old Pride champ who was in the worst shape of his life and rusty as hell (Shogun) when they fought, former UFC champs that've been on the decline (Machida included) including Rampage who just wanted OUT of the UFC and was already well past his prime, and of course he beat Evans (who just lost to Lil Nog too) and a couple of very small Middleweights. Jones already had a big scare against a guy half his size (Belfort) and he hasn't been champion as long as GSP either. Jones nearly had his arm snapped ffs, had Belfort not let go after he heard it pop then Jones would be defeated already. :icon_idea

Jones has had a RIDICULOUS size advantage over all the guys he's fought (except Bonnar who isn't even close to elite or high-level) and this is why he's moving to Heavyweight eventually. His frame is huge for LHW, he's 6'4, and his wingspan is larger than about any Super Heavyweight fighter you can name @ 84.5 inches. He's had as much as 10+ INCHES of usable reach against his opponents and no less than 6-8 inches all the other times. Even the Klitschko brothers who stand 6'6 and 6'7, the HW boxing champions of the world, don't have a reach of that magnitude (Wlad has an 81" wingspan, Vitali only 78"). Jones ridiculous size advantage is a major factor in his destruction of his opponents. Even Gus will have to make up for approximately a HALF FOOT in reach disadvantage against Jones.

GSP is the #1 P4P fighter, regardless of the lack of finishes, he dominates and does it consistently (for years) against high quality opposition. Aldo imo is #2. Anderson is #3 and I have Jones at #4 at the moment.

Back