GSP is the P4P king. He is undefeated in a stacked division.

GSP cant finish a fight, he controls and plays safe. Jones completely controls the fight and finishes also. Jones is number 1

Not to mention 6 consecutive and dominant title fight victories in 2 years, compared to gsp's 3 not so dominant decision wins. George had a good run in his day but he's slowing down and Jon is picking up a lot of steam.

2 of those being against middleweights.

Are you talking about Jones or GSP here? Hard to tell.

Haha! Touche.

I'd adjust his comment to look like this:
* does not steamroll his competition like Jones, Silva
* unwilling to fight out of his class

I respect GSP entirely, but my perspective of P4P great is not personified by his fight history.

I'm not a big fan of P4P and usually refrain from commenting in P4P threads, but if I had to consider my opinion of it's meaning, I'd say the willingness to take a few catch weight or "super fights" and winning them is necessary. I think Bones has stated he's willing to adjust his weight to fight Anderson prior to Anderson's loss. This would seem to indicate he recognizes the fans' wishes and his legacy.

I haven't heard one good reason yet as to why Jon Jones should be #1 P4P over GSP

Because jones is only 3 title defenses behind GSP, and at the current rate will pass him very soon. Because GSP appears to be capable of losing, Jones does not.

So shields, alves, koscheck, Fitch, hardy and 3 legit LWs Matt Serra, Sean Sherk and bj penn (20 lb weight difference between bj and gsp) count as tough completion?

Jon has fought and finished the absolute best. Who else has finished shogun, lyoto, and rampage?!? He's also put solid beatings on rashad and bonnar. His only gimme title fights were vitor and chael. Hopefully he gets a little more hespect when (if) he polishes off Gus.

I see your point about Jones' claim for P4P ranking and respect it. Gustaffson is going to be Jones' toughest fight to date and I hope Cormier can make 205 so Jones can fight him. I respect Jones but think GSP is just a step above him on the ladder because he's held the championship longer than Jones.

Have you seen a pic of GSP less than a week after his fight ?
The cosmetic damages that come from having avery pale skin complexion are all gone .

Diaz was able to stuff some takedown due to the achille heel injury and the cold .
Diaz (the apparently oh so superior striker) was outstrike by 130 strikes . yeah GSP had lots and lots of issue vs him :rolleyes:

Condit outstriked GSP but not on the significants striking aspect (fight was mostly on Condit side for roughly 60 seconds) .

GSP doens't weight 191 on fight night , you totally made up that number .

Hasnt' look as dominant since the KOS fight ?
Of course , he was coming back from a serious carreer threatning injury . Before that he still outstrike and outgrapple Jake Shield , doing so with 1 eye after Shield attempted to blind him on purpose .

Condit and Diaz didn't look nearly as beat up as George.

No I didn't make it up, I'll look for a source. What do YOU think George weighs on fight night, good sir?

There are a lot of excuses for George's less than stellar performances, as apposed to Jon, he just lights his comp up.

P4P is really a way to judge who would be the best fighter if everyone was the same weight, since we cannot find out by making them fight each other.

So pretend you could make a mini-jones, or a mega-GSP, to where both men were the same weight, and in the same athletic proportions. So you can't get GSP to 205 by making him fat. And you can't get Jones to 170 by making him as skinny as Corey Hill. The proportions have to be similar to what they have now.

If you can imagine that, then who do you think would win a fight between these two?
That is your P4P king.

I like GSP as a fighter and think he makes a great example of a MMA fighter but that highlighted statement is silly.
Somebody's gonna post some post fight pics of GSP.

Pics of what? Serra and Hughes? Because he made them look like amateurs in the rematch.

P4P is really a way to judge who would be the best fighter if everyone was the same weight, since we cannot find out by making them fight each other.

So pretend you could make a mini-jones, or a mega-GSP, to where both men were the same weight, and in the same athletic proportions. So you can't get GSP to 205 by making him fat. And you can't get Jones to 170 by making him as skinny as Corey Hill. The proportions have to be similar to what they have now.

If you can imagine that, then who do you think would win a fight between these two?
That is your P4P king.

but thats very subjective n stupid

I respect GSP immensely as a person, but as a fighter/performer, he doesn't belong in the same category as guys like Fedor/Jones/Anderson who fight to destroy their opponent. Georges is basically running the clock. Which is good for his endorsement deals and brand, not so good for me as an MMA fan.

Is that you Brendan Schaub? :D

Wow doesn't belong in the same category? That's just ridiculous. I don't care where he's ranked P4P and all that other stuff but he clearly belongs in the same category as the others. He's the greatest WW of all time and might be one of the most well rounded and skilled fighters we've ever seen.

This guy has done nothing but fight top fighter after top fighter since entering the UFC were talking eight years of fighting top fighters. That's almost as long as Fedor except there aren't several bums thrown into the mix (but hey they were extremely big so that apparently counts for something to some people). All while doing this in probably the #1 toughest division in MMA with maybe LW beating it.

Welterweight division is SO stacked that when Demian Maia dropped down, he went 3-0 against the top welterweight guys. Yeah. Very "stacked".

Wow doesn't belong in the same category? That's just ridiculous. I don't care where he's ranked P4P and all that other stuff but he clearly belongs in the same category as the others. He's the greatest WW of all time and might be one of the most well rounded and skilled fighters we've ever seen.

the goats finish fights. gsp lays on people.

Jon Jones is p4p the baddest man on the planet. deal with it.

Shutting your opponent down in every facet of mma is much more impressive.

Just because you finish you're opponent doesn't make you better than them. Is boetsch better than okami?

I agree. I never understood why many people seemed to consider quick, early knockout-wins a more legitimate stamp of dominance of one fighter over another than a completely one-sided, even if drawn-out, domination over the course of several rounds. Knocking out your opponent quickly may look more exciting and get you more fans, but it doesn't always show who the better fighter is, as much as it just shows who happened to be sharper that night.

However, there is a big difference between just catching somebody (Okami vs Boetsch) and finishing in dominant fashion. When Jon Jones and Anderson Silva finish a fight, it's usually as a result of them controlling the action and overwhelming their opponent throughout. True domination should result in a finish, especially when you have 25 minutes to put somebody away. When you see GSP fail to put away fighters like Dan Hardy, it has to make you wonder if he has any desire to go for the kill whatsoever.

Back