Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu no Longer Effective

You know, before ufc 1 everyone knew someone who was some sort of ninja and could kill people with death touches and shit like that, there were all kind one mythical Jedis walking on earth... Well after ufc 1 and the invention of the cell phone with cameras those people stop existing, what you are taking about are urban myths, and even if he knocked out some dude in a film set, does that means he was some type of special fighter? I have many classmates that are rugby players, they got in plenty sf and knocked people silly, does that mean we should all join a rugby club to learn how to fight? Don't be silly, a pro fighter fights, he has never ever in. His life fought anyone trained, behind close doors my ass, if he was that good that shit for sure was going on tape... At least one fight, yet we have nothing... As far as real fighting goes chuck Norris and van damme are way more legit the Bruce.... Now, bruce was a very smart dude, no doubt his phylosohy about fighting is quite smart. But you it's easier say than done...
Nice job! I'll give you £2 for effort.

Most first hand accounts of Bruce Lee come from highly respected martial artists. Guys like Inosanto and WSL.

He had fights behind closed doors, nothing that is legal so all that's left are eye witness accounts. Remember this was a time before smartphones and YouTube. Lee died in 72 and back in the late 60's when he was most active there was no such thing as MMA.

The most commonly talked about ones are the one with Wong Jack Man. He had a few while he was growing up in the streets of Hong Kong. Bruce Lee was actually also a boxing champion in Hong Kong. There was also a another fight on the set of Fist of Fury with a stunt man who was taken really quick.

You know you're talking about a 130lbs manlet right? And boxing champion IN HONK KONG? That's like me saying I'm the surfing champion of Iowa.

Spacetime alt. Mods might wanna double check that IP.

Also TS, you do know that Yair trains BJJ right? Lmao. The whole premise of this thread is based on a fallacy that Yair comes from TKD only background. He trains MMA..which includes sub and takedown defense...which is all part of sub grappling. You think Yairs scrambling and sweeping ability comes from TKD?

<{hfved}>

Most first hand accounts of Bruce Lee come from highly respected martial artists. Guys like Inosanto and WSL.

most first hands accounts come from students of him, who basically think he was some sort of living god and have been living out of bruces myth.

dude, theres 2.6 billion people believing in jesus, you think people is not going to bullshit about lee? unlike jesus he had all the methods to prove his point, he didnt..

Again no one outside Brazil knew what BJJ was until the 80's at least. And it wasn't until UFC 1 when BJJ got wider acceptance in the martial arts community.

The point has gone over your head.

If you own a fight org and you are promoting your art only to invite in cans to be crushed, this is called a conflict of interest.

BJJ is a sick art but, so are many other arts. The problem is that, many self defense arts be it Wing Chun or Akido, Aki-jiu-Jitsui etc. must be adapted to perform in MMA.

A Gracie sold UFC when weight classes + rules were introduced which removed the allure. Now, other arts that were dismissed like Karate are cool and work again in MMA. Sooner or later, someone will bring something different to the MMA world.

I believe Bruce Lee was correct about no art is the way. One art has holes especially in the current point fight system.

Don't get me wrong NeWaza is important but lets be real...

saku-roycegif.gif

The point is that you need to know how to fight on the ground if it gets there. Bjj's problem is that most BJJ gyms dont train their BJJ for mma. They don't have great takedowns, like to be on bottom to much, and believe the whole strength being unnecessary thing. Thats not true for all BJJ gyms but it is for alot of them. I like Renzo's style. And I practice Luta Livre these days

Sakuraba is also fighting newaza there; it was his primary strategy after all, what with being a catch wrestler and all.

Don't get me wrong NeWaza is important but lets be real...

saku-roycegif.gif

Last edited:

Those people have a lot to gain from a widespread belief that Bruce Lee was the best Martial Artist that ever existed, though. They are making a living selling their knowledge base; if they can promote the belief that their knowledge comes directly from some ultimate paragon of fighting ability, they greatly increase their own value.

People tend to venerate the dead, and exaggerate memories. It's like a fisherman saying "I caught a fish as big as a house...."

Bruce Lee was honored by legit martial artists, however, judging by eyewitness accounts of how he did against a mediocre physical specimen and questionably talented Wong Jack Man, lead me to believe Bruce Lee was simply a very talented martial artist and above all, deep thinker.

He is not, nor should he be, compared to fighters who had something called verifiable records.

And that dude Bruce Lee whooped on the Enter the Dragon set, or his time in a street gang or his amateur boxing records only prove one thing -- Talent.

To paint him as this glowing Buddha that can't be touched or lose a fight is ridiculous.

There are still many tough BJJ based fighters. Too many examples to post. 90 percent or more of most Mma gyms' groundgame is BJJ. Some camps have more mma/vale tudo/fighting focus than others. As long as the fighter cross trains and also has a fighting focused mindset when it comes to grappling in a real fight, then thats all you can ask. Many BJJ gyms even tell you that being on bottom isnt ideal. Some competitors just get too comfy on bottom guard.

UFC 211 Cheat Sheet: Frankie Edgar (21-5-1) vs. Yair Rodriguez (10-1), Saturday 05/13/17.
56% favor Edgar and 44% favor Rodriguez.

Yair Rodriguez Record:
. Win, B.J. Penn, UFC Fight Night, 01/15/17.
. Win, Alex Caceres, UFC Fight Night, 08/06/16.
. Win, Andre Fili, UFC 197, 04/23/16.
. Win, Dan Hooker, UFC 192, 10/03/17.
. Win, Charles Rosa, UFC 188, 06/13/15.
. Win, Leonardo Morales, UFC 180, 11/15/14.
. Win, Angelo Duarte, NP High Altitude face Off, 04/04/14.
. Win, Edgar Juarez, Mexican Fighter Promotions, 02/16/13.
. Loss, Luis Herrera, Mexican Fighter Promotions, 12/20/12.
. Win, Carlos Ricardo, The Supreme Cage, 03/10/12.
. Win, Jonatan Guzman, Mexican Fighter Promotions.

UFC 211 Cheat Sheet: Frankie Edgar (21-5-1) vs. Yair Rodriguez (10-1), Saturday 05/13/17.
56% favor Edgar and 44% favor Rodriguez.

Yair Rodriguez Record:
. Win, B.J. Penn, UFC Fight Night, 01/15/17.
. Win, Alex Caceres, UFC Fight Night, 08/06/16.
. Win, Andre Fili, UFC 197, 04/23/16.
. Win, Dan Hooker, UFC 192, 10/03/17.
. Win, Charles Rosa, UFC 188, 06/13/15.
. Win, Leonardo Morales, UFC 180, 11/15/14.
. Win, Angelo Duarte, NP High Altitude face Off, 04/04/14.
. Win, Edgar Juarez, Mexican Fighter Promotions, 02/16/13.
. Loss, Luis Herrera, Mexican Fighter Promotions, 12/20/12.
. Win, Carlos Ricardo, The Supreme Cage, 03/10/12.
. Win, Jonatan Guzman, Mexican Fighter Promotions.
Does Yair train BJJ or nah?

Olympic TKD training is almost as physically difficult and dangerous as Muay Thai. People get hurt doing Olympic TKD sparring, let alone competitions. Tactically, the unmodified art isn't as good for fist fighting or MMA as Muay Thai, but the difficulty of the activity is impressive by martial arts standards.

#FACTS

i been around tkd nationally ranked guys and olympic level guys.. shit is brutal...and the athleticism..discipline is beyond ridiculous

Tae Kwon-Do 'kicks' and 'spinning-back-fist' dominating in MMA and the UFC. Yair Rodriguez is a great example. The UFC has gone from 'ground fighting' back to 'on-your-feet' fighting. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (grappling) is no longer as popular, 50% of the fighting is ending with punches and kicks. For those in Tae Kwon-Do this is nothing new. BJJ has lost its flavor and TKD is now the new flavor. Lets see how long it will last. Royce Gracie was at the top of his art, BJJ, back in 1994. BJJ was new and few knew how to counter it. Plus he fought against opponents of other arts that where not the top tier of their art. Would he have beaten a Yair Rodriguez back in 1994?

Take a look at these two videos:

Have you not seen what Demian Maia is doing with bjj against top opponents?

Does Yair train BJJ or nah?

Yes, Yair is supplementing his ‘arsenal’ with ground grappling and other stuff. Rodriguez’s style is erratic. He throws whatever comes to mind, repeatedly (and, sometimes, wildly). He sets a ridiculous pace -- and by some miracle, he's usually able to maintain that pace. Or at the very least, he's reorganized his opponent's vital organs with enough body kicks that even if he's tiring, Rodriguez looks more fresh than the other guy.

Yes, Yair is supplementing his ‘arsenal’ with ground grappling and other stuff. Rodriguez’s style is erratic. He throws whatever comes to mind, repeatedly (and, sometimes, wildly). He sets a ridiculous pace -- and by some miracle, he's usually able to maintain that pace. Or at the very least, he's reorganized his opponent's vital organs with enough body kicks that even if he's tiring, Rodriguez looks more fresh than the other guy.
He will not outwork Frankie Edgar. I will bet money on Edgar.

Or if you want I'll sent you a free Sloth BJJ T-shirt if Edgar loses. You will buy one ($20 + shipping) if Edgar wins. Care to make a friendly bet?

He will not outwork Frankie Edgar. I will bet money on Edgar...or if you want I'll sent you a free Sloth BJJ T-shirt if Edgar loses. You will buy one ($20 + shipping) if Edgar wins. Care to make a friendly bet?

Ok Nate you are on. Edgar is going down! Nice T shirt.

Back