Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu no Longer Effective

Phr3121

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tae Kwon-Do 'kicks' and 'spinning-back-fist' dominating in MMA and the UFC. Yair Rodriguez is a great example. The UFC has gone from 'ground fighting' back to 'on-your-feet' fighting. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (grappling) is no longer as popular, 50% of the fighting is ending with punches and kicks. For those in Tae Kwon-Do this is nothing new. BJJ has lost its flavor and TKD is now the new flavor. Lets see how long it will last. Royce Gracie was at the top of his art, BJJ, back in 1994. BJJ was new and few knew how to counter it. Plus he fought against opponents of other arts that where not the top tier of their art. Would he have beaten a Yair Rodriguez back in 1994?

Take a look at these two videos:

there are a sht ton more of subs than flashy kicks kos.

Yair is a young dude, hasnt beat anyone just yet.

Yair also has a ground game, theres not a sigle person in the UFC whos going to make it out of the to 10000 withou being proeficient on the ground

"Yair is a young dude, hasnt beat anyone just yet." - ?
10 wins and 1 loss.

I don't know that you can say "BJJ is no longer effective."

Maybe "BJJ is no longer the preferred primary skill set."

BJJ and submission grappling is becoming more and more popular regardless of MMA. Not sure you can really say the same for TKD...

Now that the playing field has mostly leveled in terms of grappling, guys are going to new stuff

So then why is Yair putting all this time in with Luiz Claudio? Wait til the Frankie fight, and you'll see.

“Now that the playing field has mostly leveled in terms of grappling, guys are going to new stuff.”

Yes, I agree. I come from Brazil and have practiced both Tae Kwon-Do and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. A lot of folks in BJJ do not know how to defend against frontal kicks and spinning kicks, punches, and elbows. They are only good when the fight goes to the ground. I’m not saying BJJ is not good, but you do need to know your ‘standing’ game in fighting before it goes to the ground, otherwise you may be the only thing going to the ground.

It's always evolving but I wouldn't say bjj lost its effectiveness.

Atwater_Kent_627.jpg

This just in: The unthinkable has happened, on her maiden voyage the RMS Titanic, the largest ship ever launched and proclaimed unsinkable by the White Star Line shipping company has been lost at sea after striking an iceberg, more than 1500 souls were lost. In other news it has been revealed that competitors in the rough and tumble sport Mixed Martial Arts will increase their chances at success in the ring or cage by becoming proficient at multiple fighting disciplines, incredible!

Tae Kwon-Do 'kicks' and 'spinning-back-fist' dominating in MMA and the UFC. Yair Rodriguez is a great example. The UFC has gone from 'ground fighting' back to 'on-your-feet' fighting. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (grappling) is no longer as popular, 50% of the fighting is ending with punches and kicks. For those in Tae Kwon-Do this is nothing new. BJJ has lost its flavor and TKD is now the new flavor. Lets see how long it will last. Royce Gracie was at the top of his art, BJJ, back in 1994. BJJ was new and few knew how to counter it. Plus he fought against opponents of other arts that where not the top tier of their art. Would he have beaten a Yair Rodriguez back in 1994?

Take a look at these two videos:

Good video TS but, I think you need a history lesson.

People laughed and mocked BJJ back in the 60s favoring American boxing among other standup arts. BJJ revolutioned the MMA world but as you said, these were not necessarily the best of these arts. UFC was made to market BJJ.

If you recall, BJJ dominated the MMA world in the mid to late 90s. Striking was deemed not as good. Karate was laughable then, we had strikers dominating again, the Iceman, then we had Karate kid Machida or Wonderbread.

Everyone keeps jumping on these different flavors of arts. Bruce Lee had it right with non-attachment to any one specific art. I cannot imagine a Wing Chun UFC champ but, many felt that about BJJ in the 60s or karate before Machida. Now, everyone is inundated with BJJ, and someone is stating claim that its no longer valid of course, until someone proves otherwise. I still cannot imagine a Wing Chun success story in UFC or MMA. Most "self-defense" arts are cute sounding in theory and yet, piss port in point fighting for sport. Once someone adopts a system that is practical and integrated into MMA, anything will suffice but, until then, we will likely see the same shit again and again.

Good points ‘bigbangspiritbomb’. Even the Gracies agree that ‘sport’ BJJ is different from the ‘art’ of BJJ. The founder, Helio Gracie, designed BJJ to be used in street fighting, not a UFC cage. The UFC today is a ‘watered down’ version of the early UFC championships. The first 5 were extremely brutal and what street fights are really like. Head butts, eye gauging, kick to the groin, hand slap to the ear, and punch to the throat are all illegal techniques today. Ok, but that is exactly what you are going to get on a street fight. Actually, the Gracie 'Women Empowered' program (Pink Belt) uses these techniques and it is a great fighting platform.

I agree. My neighbor's kids got their BB in TKD in just 3 years. In BJJ it will take me at least 10 years.

10 years to reach Blue Belt in BJJ? Not sure where you are training, but it should take you 1 year. It took me two years to reach Blue Belt in Tae Kwon-Do. Anyway, as Bruce Lee said: “Belts are good for holding your pants up!” I would not be too concerned about promotions, belt colors, and the time it takes. Enjoy the art you are doing and work at your own pace. Don’t compare yourself to others. We are all different. Weight, age, limitations, and experience. I’ve seen White Belts ‘tap-out’ Purple Belts in BJJ.

10 years to reach Blue Belt in BJJ? Not sure where you are training, but it should take you 1 year. It took me two years to reach Blue Belt in Tae Kwon-Do. Anyway, as Bruce Lee said: “Belts are good for holding your pants up!” I would not be too concerned about promotions, belt colors, and the time it takes. Enjoy the art you are doing and work at your own pace. Don’t compare yourself to others. We are all different. Weight, age, limitations, and experience. I’ve seen White Belts ‘tap-out’ Purple Belts in BJJ.
2 years to blue?

Damn it sucks being trained by direct lineage practitioners it took 4....Oh yeah but the school was sending people to the nationals and world level...

Love seeing Yair and I always knew TKD's incredible attention to footwork and mobility would be an asset to any MMA training.

Bruce trained under my old teachers instructior Young Ho Jin's lineage and has had some success at the amateur level.

Yes, two years to Blue in TKD, but that’s training 3 to 4 times a week. I was much younger at the time. The school had a student who won Bronze at the 1988 Korean Summer Olympics.

In BJJ it would be between 1 and 2 years depending on your school and how often you go to class. Again, take into account age, injuries, physical shape, etc.

Whenever someone writes 'BB', they almost certainly mean black belt, not, whatever you assumed.

Last edited:
It's still effective. Look at Maia. It's just been seen and done to the max. If you want it to work at the highest of levels you have to adapt it even more than what it already is. It's held dominance for so long, it's now a standard. If you can't grapple, you extremely hinder your chances of success. I can't really think of anything better to say for an art form. My opinion anyways.

Good points ‘bigbangspiritbomb’. Even the Gracies agree that ‘sport’ BJJ is different from the ‘art’ of BJJ. The founder, Helio Gracie, designed BJJ to be used in street fighting, not a UFC cage. The UFC today is a ‘watered down’ version of the early UFC championships. The first 5 were extremely brutal and what street fights are really like. Head butts, eye gauging, kick to the groin, hand slap to the ear, and punch to the throat are all illegal techniques today. Ok, but that is exactly what you are going to get on a street fight. Actually, the Gracie 'Women Empowered' program (Pink Belt) uses these techniques and it is a great fighting platform.

They were that realistic and dirty, and totally dominated by a man that just did some double leg takedowns and rear naked chokes. None of that stupid dirty shit need apply.

We took it out of the sport because people turn in to watch athletes kick ass - not watch ineffective Krav Maga womens' self defense palm strikes to the balls.

Whenever someone writes 'BB', they almost certainly mean black belt, not, whatever you assumed.

Thanks 'rmongler'. New to the site and not yet used to the acronyms. 'Russky' mentioned the neighbor's kid getting a BB in 3 years so I assumed he was talking about a Blue Belt. Well, kids martial arts of any school is the 'cash cow' of the school. That's were the money is made, so I'm not surprised they would be handing out Black Belts in 3 years.

We took it out of the sport because people turn in to watch athletes kick ass - not watch ineffective Krav Maga womens' self defense palm strikes to the balls.

...and that's all the UFC is, a sport. The Cracies have admitted time and again that sport BJJ does not work in the street. That is not what they want to teach. They want (and teach) the art of BJJ. If you like the sport, great! I want to learn to street fight, not watch two guys 'bitch slap' each other with UFC regulations and a referee to jump in when things get out of hand. Is the referee going to save you on a street fight? Fight clean and loose. Have you ever been at the receiving end of a 'head butt', 'kick-to-the-groin', or 'punch-to-the-throat'? It works. That's what the U.S. Special Forces and U.S. Navy SEALS use. No time to 'bitch slap' when you are in combat. Great for women, small person, and older person.

Back