Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu no Longer Effective

I agree with TS.

BJJ no longer works. Fighting has evolved! People no longer need elbows or air!

TKD didn't work back when people fell on the ground but now that we don't BJJ is useless.

…and here it is, from Rener Gracie, what I’ve been saying regarding the difference between the sport and the art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Sport BJJ does not work on the streets.

Last edited:
...and that's all the UFC is, a sport. The Cracies have admitted time and again that sport BJJ does not work in the street. That is not what they want to teach. They want (and teach) the art of BJJ. If you like the sport, great! I want to learn to street fight, not watch two guys 'bitch slap' each other with UFC regulations and a referee to jump in when things get out of hand. Is the referee going to save you on a street fight? Fight clean and loose. Have you ever been at the receiving end of a 'head butt', 'kick-to-the-groin', or 'punch-to-the-throat'? It works. That's what the U.S. Special Forces and U.S. Navy SEALS use. No time to 'bitch slap' when you are in combat. Great for women, small person, and older person.

My point is that the guy who won the original UFC that everyone loves to bring up, didn't use anything other than sport BJJ.

Tae Kwon-Do 'kicks' and 'spinning-back-fist' dominating in MMA and the UFC. Yair Rodriguez is a great example. The UFC has gone from 'ground fighting' back to 'on-your-feet' fighting. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (grappling) is no longer as popular, 50% of the fighting is ending with punches and kicks. For those in Tae Kwon-Do this is nothing new. BJJ has lost its flavor and TKD is now the new flavor. Lets see how long it will last. Royce Gracie was at the top of his art, BJJ, back in 1994. BJJ was new and few knew how to counter it. Plus he fought against opponents of other arts that where not the top tier of their art. Would he have beaten a Yair Rodriguez back in 1994?

Take a look at these two videos:

These are vids that make me not so ashamed to have trained the art of flicking feet.

I don't know that you can say "BJJ is no longer effective."

Maybe "BJJ is no longer the preferred primary skill set."

BJJ and submission grappling is becoming more and more popular regardless of MMA. Not sure you can really say the same for TKD...

TKD is definitely still strong with the kids. If they keep seeing stunts like Yair Rodriguez keeps pulling they will be attracted to it.

"The Believer", one of Ryan Gosling's early movies where he is a Jewish 'White Supremacist'. Based on a true story. This scene shows how to fight back when someone hits you...

"The Believer", one of Ryan Gosling's early movies where he is a Jewish 'White Supremacist'. Based on a true story. This scene shows how to fight back when someone hits you...

LOL, never let them see it coming...

But what do I know, I don't train to fight 99% of the time on the ground after I've made one mistake after another...

I said in another thread why let someone who is determined to pick a fight with you dictate when it starts? Why not end it before they know it's going to start?...

MMA success in the modern era is about figuring out what you're really good at and using pieces of other disciplines to give you the best possible chance to do what you're really good at. So if you're Yair Rodriguez and you have insane cardio, a huge frame for the division, and vicious kicking, your whole game is going to be about throwing a shit ton of kicks with reckless abandon to try and batter the other guy into submission without getting in punching or wrestling range. If you do get taken down (which he has several times), your ground game is about getting back to your feet without taking a lot of damage or getting subbed so you can resume kicking the shit out of people from a distance. So does BJJ not work anymore? Ask Demian Maia. His game is about using just enough wrestling, mostly up against the cage, to drag a guy down and then his amazing BJJ takes over and he chokes the guy unconscious. He wouldn't win many fights if he tried to rely on his kicking game, but who cares? He's built his game around optimizing his chances to implement his best skill set.

BJJ is losing it's effectiveness b/c everyone is learning some of it, it's way easier to learn, timed rounds, etc

Certain TKD/Karate techs are starting to work b/c so many people in MMA do not respect those techs. I thought BJ Penn was affected by that old school MMA box mentality more than his age

I come from Brazil, born and raised in the same town the Gracie family grew up, Rio de Janeiro. How can I not like or respect Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu or Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. I moved to the U.S. when I was 12. Practiced Tae Kwon-Do and Aikido before giving Jiu-Jitsu a try. I wanted to learn how to ground fight. I spent 20 years in the U.S. Army where I worked with some of the best soldiers in the world.

A couple of things that I was surprised to learn when I started in Jiu-Jitsu. Most of the practicing starts on the ground. You stay with one partner the whole class period. Little to no warm up before class. Very few of my partners had any idea of how to block a kick or punch. In their world the fight starts on the ground and stays there. It did not become realistic until I started sparring. Even then, no defense against punches or kicks. I found my knee time and time again at the opponent’s groin area. On a frontal choke (standing) I found my fist time and time again on my opponent’s groin. So many unguarded areas. They would be baffled by Tae Kwon-Do spinning techniques. Didn’t have a clue as to how to counter it. UFC fighters spend very little time learning BJJ. They learn the basics for the sport and move on to the next Martial Art basics. The Art of BJJ or Gracie Jiu-Jitsu is a whole other world. As seen on the video above, Rener Gracie.

Yeah, Weidman really baffled Rockhold when he pulled out that spinning kick on him.

Oh wait.

I come from Brazil, born and raised in the same town the Gracie family grew up, Rio de Janeiro. How can I not like or respect Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu or Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. I moved to the U.S. when I was 12. Practiced Tae Kwon-Do and Aikido before giving Jiu-Jitsu a try. I wanted to learn how to ground fight. I spent 20 years in the U.S. Army where I worked with some of the best soldiers in the world.

A couple of things that I was surprised to learn when I started in Jiu-Jitsu. Most of the practicing starts on the ground. You stay with one partner the whole class period. Little to no warm up before class. Very few of my partners had any idea of how to block a kick or punch. In their world the fight starts on the ground and stays there. It did not become realistic until I started sparring. Even then, no defense against punches or kicks. I found my knee time and time again at the opponent’s groin area. On a frontal choke (standing) I found my fist time and time again on my opponent’s groin. So many unguarded areas. They would be baffled by Tae Kwon-Do spinning techniques. Didn’t have a clue as to how to counter it. UFC fighters spend very little time learning BJJ. They learn the basics for the sport and move on to the next Martial Art basics. The Art of BJJ or Gracie Jiu-Jitsu is a whole other world. As seen on the video above, Rener Gracie.

Gjj aint that much different from sport jiu jtsu, distance managment and getting the gloves on a couple of times a month should be enough to give you a real sense of reality.

TKD flashy kicks work 1 out of 1000, its way better to train your double legs a good cross and hell of a ground game than being kicking around like a bruce lee, even by today standards, a heavy boxing game is way more efficient than a heavy kicking game, for strikers at least.

TKD is good and all for when you start training, for kids to get good a kicking and shit, but when you are turning into MMA for real, well, is not.

For the average person in the bar or on the street, regardless of whether you do BJJ or GJJ it probably is still effective.

'GJJ' is just a marketing term the Rorion side pushes in an effort to stay relevant and distinguish themselves from literally everyone else who also provides top quality BJJ/sub grappling instruction.

Last edited:
I agree with TS.

BJJ no longer works. Fighting has evolved! People no longer need elbows or air!

TKD didn't work back when people fell on the ground but now that we don't BJJ is useless.

It's evolved so much I don't even shop at strip malls any more. Too dangerous. A whole class of killers could just pour out of the local ATA turnkey dojo at any time. I'll just butt scoot around my house where it's still safe thank you very much.

Boy, I can see that I’m ‘outmanned’ and ‘outgunned’ based on the last 5 posts. Not a problem, to each his own. I still think my initial post and two videos really say it all. New to the site but boy the ‘SheerDog’ and UFC mentality here is overkill on BJJ. The idea that Tae Kwon-Do, Kung Fu, Aikido, Muay Thai, and Judo are ornamental is amazing. I can see where things are going.

Anyway, Matt Hughes (my favorite fighter, but now ‘over the hill’) beat Royce Gracie in round 1 in 2006. So much for Royce and BJJ. Hughes has a wrestling background and out of 45 wins only 18 were by submission.

Here is the thing gentlemen, if you go to the ground and have more than one opponent you are going to get the ‘shit’ stomped out of you. The ground is the worst place to be against 2 or 3 assailants.

You're shooting your guns off when you don't even know whos on what side or where the actual battle lines actually are.

The eternal ancient wisdom of the intertubes: lurk moar.

…and here it is, from Rener Gracie, what I’ve been saying regarding the difference between the sport and the art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Sport BJJ does not work on the streets.

Yeah.....

You're not only new to this forum, you're new period.

This is the last place to lecture people on jiu-jitsu and certainly the last place to educate people on "Gracie Jiu-jitsu."

The last place.

You're shooting your guns off when you don't even know whos on what side or where the actual battle lines actually are.

You're not only new to this forum, you're new period.
This is the last place to lecture people on jiu-jitsu and certainly the last place to educate people on "Gracie Jiu-jitsu.

LOL, well looks like someone got offended. Too bad. What are you guys the BJJ ‘gods’ or the ‘SherDog’ patrol? Don’t need a lecture from two individuals who have too high an opinion of themselves. I’m not lecturing or educating anyone. Don’t like my point of you, that’s your problem. It’s an open forum. Neither one knows shit about me so why the insults. Chill out and get a life…

Back