Zookeeper Gabe's Animal Thread V7.0

I took a swan into the vet today. He lives on the golf course and got beat up by a dog (we think) over the weekend. There was blood on the ice by their swimmin area and he was just layin innthe hut by the heat lamp. Was weird thpugh cause he didnt have blood on him.
Is he tamed? Swans are usually very aggressive to humans.

If i had a different schedule and worked 8 hr shifts, id go adopt a doge and a cat at the shelter

Is he tamed? Swans are usually very aggressive to humans.
Thats the thing. His lady friend bolted into the water when we came ovwr and he just laid there. We picked him up and put em in the carrier with no fight at all.
Theyre clipped but not what id call tamed

Thats the thing. His lady friend bolted into the water when we came ovwr and he just laid there. We picked him up and put em in the carrier with no fight at all.
Theyre clipped but not what id call tamed
Is he fine now? I hope he thanked you in his own swanny way.

Do you work for the golf course?

03eg312gheg21.jpg

This one's for his boy Steve.
He won't even be able to eat it as Croc's don't bite off pieces and chew food. They rip and tear using torque. Unless it can someway to secure that thing so it can then tear at it, its going to go uneaten. By him, anyway.

He won't even be able to eat it as Croc's don't bite off pieces and chew food. They rip and tear using torque. Unless it can someway to secure that thing so it can then tear at it, its going to go uneaten. By him, anyway.
Nah, crocodilians often hold large chunks of meat and just thrash it until it falls apart. They can generate tons of torque just shaking back and forth, plus they sometimes cache food and wait for it to rot a little.

@Zookeeper Gabe
Have you ever worked with crocodilians? Is their behavior similar to large lizards? The pets I've seen are extremely docile and they seem to know who their owners are. Not that I have any plans of getting one, nor think it's a good idea. But I am curious about their intelligence level.

this girl rescued an abused gator (hence its stunted size despite being an adult) and it is quite adorably cuddly. She does not advocate gators as pets btw.

Yo Gabe, you think the Giant Sloth is still around? I listened to a podcast where a biologist thinks maybe so.

@Zookeeper Gabe
Have you ever worked with crocodilians? Is their behavior similar to large lizards? The pets I've seen are extremely docile and they seem to know who their owners are. Not that I have any plans of getting one, nor think it's a good idea. But I am curious about their intelligence level.

this girl rescued an abused gator (hence its stunted size despite being an adult) and it is quite adorably cuddly. She does not advocate gators as pets btw.

Yup, I’ve worked with multiple different sized American alligators and some batshit bonkers Chinese alligators. They can be trained, they certainly can recognize different people but I wouldn’t call them Mensa members.

@D Train i don’t think so, an animal of that size would most likely leave more trace. Even in an environment like the amazon.

Yup, I’ve worked with multiple different sized American alligators and some batshit bonkers Chinese alligators. They can be trained, they certainly can recognize different people but I wouldn’t call them Mensa members.

@D Train i don’t think so, an animal of that size would most likely leave more trace. Even in an environment like the amazon.
how is gator behavior compared to a Komodo? To me, crocodilians always seem like they're in a trance so their reactions to everything feel so alien. Whereas monitor lizards move and interact in a more relatable (to me as a mammal) way.

A once thought extinct Formosan Clouded Leopard was spotted in Taiwan! It hasn't been spotted since 1983 and was declared extinct in 2013. Outside of native tribes, there has only been 1 other person who has seen one alive.
Picture is of a different subspecies, but still cool.
extra_large-1551371575-cover-image.jpg

A once thought extinct Formosan Clouded Leopard was spotted in Taiwan! It hasn't been spotted since 1983 and was declared extinct in 2013. Outside of native tribes, there has only been 1 other person who has seen one alive.
Picture is of a different subspecies, but still cool.
extra_large-1551371575-cover-image.jpg
There are still native tribes in Taiwan? I thought it was completely urbanized.

Love cloudeds, they are by far my favorite cat and this is great news. I saw it on my fb feed a couple of days ago and it made me smile.

I just learned about this goofy looking bastard. It's the Gaboon viper, and it looks like a damn overstuffed sausage:
4462e56acb00e6478a54ced6c4ec4d90.jpg

But don't let Mr Chubbs here fool you, he's got the longest fangs and largest venom yield of any snake. Oh, and not everybody realizes it but snakes do have tails, and this is the clearest example I've ever seen of one.

World's largest bee rediscovered

Never knew a Tarantula could do this

I just learned about this goofy looking bastard. It's the Gaboon viper, and it looks like a damn overstuffed sausage:
4462e56acb00e6478a54ced6c4ec4d90.jpg

But don't let Mr Chubbs here fool you, he's got the longest fangs and largest venom yield of any snake. Oh, and not everybody realizes it but snakes do have tails, and this is the clearest example I've ever seen of one.

The whole Bitis genus is amazing, some really gorgeous snakes. One of my friends who does venom extraction has a few gabbys, you have to be careful while restraining them because they can bite through their lower jaw. Also, the one pictured above is obese

The whole Bitis genus is amazing, some really gorgeous snakes. One of my friends who does venom extraction has a few gabbys, you have to be careful while restraining them because they can bite through their lower jaw. Also, the one pictured above is obese
It is? I'm not at all versed in what they are supposed to look like. Every full-body picture I could find had them looking pretty chonky so I assumed that's just what they look like.
viper.jpg

Bitis_gabonica--_the_Gaboon_Viper_%2822009086901%29.jpg

gaboonviper-001.jpg

gaboon-viper.jpg

bitis_gabonica_east_african_gaboon_viper.jpg

40d2a0e3e3069dd2d804af97bd3da4ee.jpg

Back