International You are Australian and want to return from India? 5 years of jail await you.

JDragon

Lawn and Order!
@Gold
Reaction score
This is one of the more insane political decisions the past year has seen: denying your own citizens a return to their home country under the threat of multiple years of jail.

I get not wanting to introduce a Coronavirus mutation, but surely there would be alternative solutions like, I don't know, using special air force flights and isolating them after their return?

Coalition condemned for ‘outrageous’ decision to fine or imprison Australians returning from India

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-or-imprison-australians-returning-from-india

Covid crisis: Australians trying to return home from India face up to $66,000 fine or five years’ jail

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...tizens-to-return-from-covid-ravaged-countries

I believe the plan is to reopen on May 15.

Because of the pollution of the pellets?
Because they got banned along with firearms during the Port Arthur Massacre gun reform of 1996.
The theory was they looked too much like real guns.
Yet we are allowed "gel blasters" that shoot orbeez and look like this
Because *shock horror* they are just converted airsoft guns lmao. So much for imitation firearms being the cause of the ban.
v3imagesbin1cfe394a066855fd0dabe2b2fc8ff26e-grvan9laptqkal4mpu2.jpg

Pretty sure the US also banned flights from India

The Covid stupidity is not exclusive to down under.

A bit harsh but with the chaos over there and Australia's sterling record I sort of see where they are coming from. Still, there should be some sort of protocol to bring them back.

It's supposed to be temporary until the current quarantine capacity is improved.
Of course it's federal vs state politics at the moment, with the states currently operating the quarantine facilities and wanting federal funding (especially after the recent outbreak in Perth). The federal facility in the NT can only handle 850 per fortnight (supposedly being expanded to 2000, not sure on the progress there).
Victoria is apparently looking for 700 million AUD in funding for their proposed setup.
Mostly the returns have been coming in very small numbers (although last I read there were 35,000 registered as wanting to return, there's been a limit of 7000 repatriations per week for the entire nation), so they didn't anticipate a surge of 9000 returns from India.

This is one of the more insane political decisions the past year has seen: denying your own citizens a return to their home country under the threat of multiple years of jail.

I get not wanting to introduce a Coronavirus mutation, but surely there would be alternative solutions like, I don't know, using special air force flights and isolating them after their return?

Coalition condemned for ‘outrageous’ decision to fine or imprison Australians returning from India

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-or-imprison-australians-returning-from-india

Covid crisis: Australians trying to return home from India face up to $66,000 fine or five years’ jail

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...tizens-to-return-from-covid-ravaged-countries

It's understandable, consider the hardline Australia put in place since last year for air travel kept them safe from the pandemic, much like Taiwan. Also, their immunization progress is next to nothing right now, so they can't afford a domestic outbreak brought in from abroad.

I still think they should bring their citizens back though. They can always quarantine them on one of their many islands, like say, the facility they use to house and process boat people on Christmas Island a few years ago.

PS: I already posted this yesterday in the main India Covid thread, but I'll repost it here because I just know some WR idiots who can't read WILL try to compare it with U.S policy in your thread, which is really nothing alike since 1) America doesn't abandon its citizens, and 2) Only foreign nationals coming from India are restricted.

I fully expect the United Airlines and Air India's direct flights to the U.S gonna be pack to the gills with returning Americans for quarantine in the next couple of days, as the State Department had issued a Level 4 warning for all American citizens to get the hell out of India.
____

Biden administration to restrict foreign nationals traveling from India starting Tuesday

The Biden administration has confirmed that the US will restrict travel from India starting on Tuesday in response to the surge of coronavirus cases and variants being observed in the country.

The administration will issue a 212(f) order restricting entry into the US for foreign nationals who have been in India within the previous 14 days, a source familiar with the move said. Airlines have been told of the decision, a source said.

The new policy will take effect on Tuesday at 12:01 am ET.

The policy will not apply to American citizens, lawful permanent residents or other people with exemptions. As with all international travelers, individuals who fit that criteria traveling from India must still test negative prior to leaving the country, quarantine if they have not been vaccinated and test negative again upon reentering the US from India. The restrictions also do not apply to humanitarian workers.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/04/30/politics/us-india-travel-restrictions/index.html

Last edited:
A bit harsh but with the chaos over there and Australia's sterling record I sort of see where they are coming from. Still, there should be some sort of protocol to bring them back.
Yeah why not just have an island or something to quarantine. Two weeks the. You go to a different t place and have to take a few tests and after a week or whatever you can come in. Why have this crazy reaction and not just make a coherent policy.
This is like baking a cake and leaving it out. When someone goes to eat it before it’s time, you freak out and beat them up. Could’ve put a note on it dad, sorry that cake is good

It's understandable, consider the hardline Australia put in place since last year for air travel kept them safe from the pandemic, much like Taiwan. Also, their immunization progress is next to nothing right now, so they can't afford a domestic outbreak brought in from abroad.

I still think they should bring their citizens back though, they can always quarantine them on one of their many islands.

Posted this in the main India Covid thread, but I'll repost it here because I know some WR idiots who can't read WILL try to compare it with U.S policy in your thread, which is really nothing alike since America doesn't abandon its citizens.

The United and Air India's direct flights to the U.S in the next couple of days gonna be pack to the gills with returning Americans for quarantine. Those who needs to get out of that Covid hellscape needs to book their tickets ASAP.
____

Biden administration to restrict travel from India starting Tuesday

The Biden administration has confirmed that the US will restrict travel from India starting on Tuesday in response to the surge of coronavirus cases and variants being observed in the country.

The administration will issue a 212(f) order restricting entry into the US for foreign nationals who have been in India within the previous 14 days, a source familiar with the move said. Airlines have been told of the decision, a source said.

The new policy will take effect on Tuesday at 12:01 am ET.

The policy will not apply to American citizens, lawful permanent residents or other people with exemptions. As with all international travelers, individuals who fit that criteria traveling from India must still test negative prior to leaving the country, quarantine if they have not been vaccinated and test negative again upon reentering the US from India. The restrictions also do not apply to humanitarian workers.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/04/30/politics/us-india-travel-restrictions/index.html

Yeah I understand having strict travel policies in place, but telling your own citizens they cannot come back even though you have the means to isolate them is crazy. I would not have a problem with the threat per se in case they had some kind of repatriation ongoing (which has not been reported and of which I am not aware).

Yeah I understand having strict travel policies in place, but telling your own citizens they cannot come back even though you have the means to isolate them is crazy. I would not have a problem with the threat per se in case they had some kind of repatriation ongoing (which has not been reported and of which I am not aware).

Posted that too. They are truly shit out of luck.

An estimated 9,000 Australian citizens currently stuck in India could face 5 years in prison if they try to return home during this travel ban.

There will be no expatriation flights either, so uh, goodluck to the stranded Aussies.

Not okay to do this to your own citizens.

Set up Corona hotels for them and force them to quarantine or face jail. To staight up deny them entry is crazy.

Not okay to do this to your own citizens.

Set up Corona hotels for them and force them to quarantine or face jail. To staight up deny them entry is crazy.

I guess the risk is that they take a flight via a hub and infect others on the flight. Therefore isolation would not be sufficient if you want to be 100% sure, you would also need to fly these people yourself.

Back