International You are Australian and want to return from India? 5 years of jail await you.

Not okay to do this to your own citizens.

Set up Corona hotels for them and force them to quarantine or face jail. To staight up deny them entry is crazy.

That's what they have done, however the hotel quarantine system apparently can't manage more than 7000 per week and the waiting list was about 35,000 long before the Indian situation. Now the states and federal government are bickering about funding the expansion (which should have been done last year).

910 deaths vs 580k deaths. Yep, Australia is sooooo stupid.
Yeah, has nothing to do with India being one of the most populated nations on earth, on top of being one of the filthiest, and most polluted.

Sure it has zero to do with that.

A bit harsh but with the chaos over there and Australia's sterling record I sort of see where they are coming from. Still, there should be some sort of protocol to bring them back.

I know this idea might sound crazy...

But how about not traveling to the epicenter of a pandemic 1.5 years in?

Just an idea.

Sympathy level = 0.

Australian jail or Indian body-burning megapolis. Aussie jail cant be that bad, youd just have to watch out for this one:

iu

I know this idea might sound crazy...

But how about not traveling to the epicenter of a pandemic 1.5 years in?

Just an idea.

Sympathy level = 0.

I doubt many of them did. There's been a travel ban since March last year.

Countries legally cannot refuse entry to their own citizens.

I doubt many of them did. There's been a travel ban since March last year.

Disgraceful. Especially since Australia signed that agreement that ensures people are free to leave Australia on their own free will.

Now, I will say that, if they choose to do so during a pandemic, they should be forced to sign a declaration that they acknowledge they won't be let back in, until the government has the pandemic under control.

This solves 2 issues.

1. The issue of not allowing free citizens the ability to travel freely.

2. The issue of the government of having to allow back the idiots who traveled (for non-essential reasons) during a pandemic.

Also to note, the WHO has come out and said travel bans are ineffective, which means this is pointless anyways. That is, if you actually believe the WHO, the same organization who knew about person to person transmission for over a month and conspired with China to cover it up.

This is one of the more insane political decisions the past year has seen: denying your own citizens a return to their home country under the threat of multiple years of jail.

I get not wanting to introduce a Coronavirus mutation, but surely there would be alternative solutions like, I don't know, using special air force flights and isolating them after their return?

Coalition condemned for ‘outrageous’ decision to fine or imprison Australians returning from India

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-or-imprison-australians-returning-from-india

Covid crisis: Australians trying to return home from India face up to $66,000 fine or five years’ jail

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...tizens-to-return-from-covid-ravaged-countries

Good. It's nice to see a country actually take COVID spread seriously.

They have done very well and they don't need to take chances fucking it all up by having a bunch of assholes coming over from India causing community spread.

Disgraceful. Especially since Australia signed that agreement that ensures people are free to leave Australia on their own free will.

Now, I will say that, if they choose to do so during a pandemic, they should be forced to sign a declaration that they acknowledge they won't be let back in, until the government has the pandemic under control.

This solves 2 issues.

1. The issue of not allowing free citizens the ability to travel freely.

2. The issue of the government of having to allow back the idiots who traveled (for non-essential reasons) during a pandemic.

Also to note, the WHO has come out and said travel bans are ineffective, which means this is pointless anyways. That is, if you actually believe the WHO, the same organization who knew about person to person transmission for over a month and conspired with China to cover it up.

Which agreement was that? Aside from going to New Zealand, there were very few exemptions to the travel ban. The case most commonly reported on in relation to this decision here was a man that left on account of his terminally ill father.
The biosecurity legislation does give the government an awful lot of leeway in relation to emergency measures during pandemics. Basically you'd have to prove in court their measures weren't reasonable given the information available at the time.

Which agreement was that? Aside from going to New Zealand, there were very few exemptions to the travel ban. The case most commonly reported on in relation to this decision here was a man that left on account of his terminally ill father.
The biosecurity legislation does give the government an awful lot of leeway in relation to emergency measures during pandemics. Basically you'd have to prove in court their measures weren't reasonable given the information available at the time.

From the link you kindly provided.

"Australia is also a signatory to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), which provides: "Everyone shall be free to leave any country, including his own"."

From the link you kindly provided.

"Australia is also a signatory to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), which provides: "Everyone shall be free to leave any country, including his own"."

The Government argues travel restrictions in order to preserve health and life (also rights in the ICCPR and International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights) supersede the right to travel, which is not an absolute right.
Wouldn't matter anyway, there's been no repercussions to their previous violations of the treaties in regards to refugees.

Yeah why not just have an island or something to quarantine. Two weeks the. You go to a different t place and have to take a few tests and after a week or whatever you can come in. Why have this crazy reaction and not just make a coherent policy.
This is like baking a cake and leaving it out. When someone goes to eat it before it’s time, you freak out and beat them up. Could’ve put a note on it dad, sorry that cake is good

They are strong arming their citizens because they deem its cheeper to threaten your citizens than to enact containment policies at home quarantine facilities will cost them.

This is why the response to crisis is ridicous either too restrictive like "Shut all every thing down" or some governments like Brasil's BallsSoNarrow saying "This is just Plu open every thing up pack the beaches bitches"

They are strong arming their citizens because they deem its cheeper to threaten your citizens than to enact containment policies at home quarantine facilities will cost them.
True. Seems a very scary path to go down though. Not a big CTer on power trips from Covid but they seem to have a basis in reality

I don't have much sympathy. Took the chance to be overseas in a pandemic. Those be the breaks unfortunately.

Back