International You are Australian and want to return from India? 5 years of jail await you.

Most of them are indian international students wanting to return for their fake education to get Pr, nobody told them to return during first and second wave

Most of them are Indian international students wanting to return to school for their fake education to get Pr, nobody told them to flight back home to India during first and second wave.. even canada wanted to ban flights from india in 2020.
Wait, aren't they all Australian citizens?

Most of them are Indian international students wanting to return to school for their fake education to get Pr, nobody told them to flight back home to India during first and second wave.. even canada wanted to ban flights from india in 2020.

Some possibly are now students here, but my understanding are most are families who have returned home and it's a hodge podge of multi generational family units who now want to return. I definitely think anyone who travelled internationally right now is stupid. They haven't said they won't be allowed back in, it's just being done in limited numbers.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/...ns-india-offenders-face-fines-prison-n1266045

Seems to be a mix of citizens and residents. My understanding from speaking to someone with family back there at the moment is that it's large family units all trying to return to Australia and there are extra members added on through marriage etc.

Many have been splitting time between Australia and India for work as their qualifications don't swap across. They have citizenship or residency here but do regularly reside and manage family businesses back in India.

Basically what will happen is if India becomes good again and Australia has mass covid outbreaks they will return back to India immediately.

This is an anecdotal viewpoint and what I have personally had explained to me. The news articles are lacking on the subject. This does not cover everyones reason to return.

I think you should be able to return if your rpimary residence is in Australia. You also need to cover your own hotel quarantine. No positive cases should be allowed to fly out of India and you should be tested prior and quarantined, with a further quarantine period here in Australai.

Some possibly are now students here, but my understanding are most are families who have returned home and it's a hodge podge of multi generational family units who now want to return. I definitely think anyone who travelled internationally right now is stupid. They haven't said they won't be allowed back in, it's just being done in limited numbers.

Yeah, I don't think they are mostly students, otherwise there wouldn't be a significant number in the "vulnerable" category.
There have supposedly been 20,000 returns from India since the border closure began, but obviously the flight cap and costs are restrictive. I haven't seen how many were still waiting in India when their latest outbreak began, so I'm not sure how many of the 9000 quoted are recent registrations.

Yeah, I don't think they are mostly students, otherwise there wouldn't be a significant number in the "vulnerable" category.

There will be students thrown in just due to the structure of the more traditional family units from India returning back to Australia. There is a mix of citizen, residents and people in the process of applying trying to fly back. The worst was the two cricket players who made it back after going overseas during a pandemic to play sport for millions of dollars.They are citizens, but their poor choices do not constitute an emergency for Austrlia.

There will be students thrown in just due to the structure of the more traditional family units from India returning back to Australia. There is a mix of citizen, residents and people in the process of applying trying to fly back. The worst was the two cricket players who made it back after going overseas during a pandemic to play sport for millions of dollars.They are citizens, but their poor choices do not constitute an emergency for Austrlia.

It certainly seems incongruous that the IPL continued, despite their "bio-bubble". I mean it can't count for much if Daniel Sams was infected almost as soon as he landed.

Well most of them are mixture of india international students, They're only using a student permit so they can easily get citizenship. Justin Trudeau to stupid giving all international students citizenship unlike Australian

That's what they get for Waltzing Matilda in India.

there is no denying australia has handled covid very well right from the start.

@Ruprecht How does Australia currenly handle deportations? Like, people getting deported from other countries to Australia? I think most countries have stopped them, but there is a legal responsibility to accept citizens that get deported.

@Ruprecht How does Australia currenly handle deportations? Like, people getting deported from other countries to Australia? I think most countries have stopped them, but there is a legal responsibility to accept citizens that get deported.
Depends on the details. The majority of deportations/extraditions I'm aware of have been situations where the individual was convicted in another country, but there was an arrangement for them to serve out their sentence here. I believe we have some form of extradition treaty with the majority of countries.
Those are usually high profile cases though (there was discussion of Brenton Tarrant being extradited here last year, but so far that hasn't happened), and I haven't read of any happening during the pandemic. I imagine their quarantine would be dealt with on a case by case basis.
Prior to the pandemic there have been high profile cases where someone was deported after serving a sentence overseas (Junaid Thorne was deported from Saudi Arabia for terrorism charges for instance), but again I'm not aware of any over the past year. If they've served their sentence, or it's for non-criminal reasons, and are being deported on another country's dime, I assume they'd be given priority in the 7000 per week quarantine admissions we are taking, deserving or not.
I know our own criminal deportations have been stacking up in Christmas Island and other immigration detention facilities.
Likewise those whose visas have expired or been cancelled for other (non-criminal) reasons aren't being deported at the moment.
It'd cost a fortune to fly them out.

To the courts we go.

Indian travel ban headed to court as Australian stuck in Bangalore launches legal challenge

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-...-ban/100115540

Gary Newman, 73, travelled to India to visit friends in March last year and has been stuck there ever since.

Lawyer Michael Bradley and barrister Chris Ward SC lodged Mr Newman's challenge in the Federal Court in Sydney before Justice Stephen Burley this afternoon.

They are arguing Health Minister Greg Hunt's emergency declaration under the Biosecurity Act is invalid on constitutional grounds.

Firstly, Mr Newman's lawyers argue the Commonwealth is acting outside its powers.

Secondly, it will be argued that the minister's declaration is in breach of an implied freedom to return home.

Mr Newman is currently in Bangalore, in India's southern state of Karnataka.

Mr Bradley and Mr Ward are both acting pro bono for Mr Newman.

Seems the state and federal governments have reached some agreement, because the repatriation flights have been announced with both federal and state roles.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ens-stuck-in-india-as-soon-as-flight-ban-ends

New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland are likely to accept additional flights of vulnerable Australians fleeing India, with the states stepping in to assist the federal government, which plans three of its own repatriation flights this month.

The prime minister, Scott Morrison, announced the three extra state flights on Friday after a national cabinet meeting with state and territory leaders. He also declared the controversial policy banning Australians stranded in India from returning home would remain in place until 15 May as scheduled.

Morrison said he wanted to thank Australians of Indian descent “for their patience” and “understanding” while hinting he was open to further restricting inbound travellers down the track.

Once the India flight ban lapses on 15 May, the federal government would “very closely” monitor Covid infection rates among travellers from “sensitive third-country transit points”, including Sri Lanka, Morrison said. “All of this is about sensibly preventing a third wave of Covid-19 here in Australia.”
The prime minister said he would speak with his Indian counterpart, Narendra Modi, later on Friday.

The federal government will begin repatriating Australians stranded in India as soon as its travel ban ends on 15 May, with evacuated citizens and permanent residents to quarantine at Howard Springs near Darwin.

An estimated 9,000 Australians who are stuck in India wish to return home, with about 900 classed as vulnerable.

Morrison told reporters earlier on Friday the federal government expected to arrange three repatriation flights from India between 15 May and the end of the month, “bringing back the most urgent of cases”.

After the national cabinet meeting, Morrison said his government had invited the states and territories to participate in receiving additional “facilitated commercial flights”.

“I was very pleased to have the initial response straightaway from NSW, as well as Victoria and Queensland, who indicated they would be responding positively to that invitation,” Morrison said, while cautioning the details were yet to be finalised. “South Australia is also considering it very favourably.”

Morrison said the charter flights would be focused on the 900 people in India classed as vulnerable. He has asked the foreign affairs department to review the registrations of Australians wishing to return from India to ensure the list was current.

The charter flights will be staffed by Australian crews and passengers will undergo rapid antigen testing prior to departure to “mitigate the risk of potentially higher rates of infection presenting on arrival in Australia”, Morrison said.

Each of the planned six flights this month could carry about 150 people.

Back