is David Benavidez the most overrated fighter in boxing?

brundlefly

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Apart from a 35 year old andrade who was only in his second fight at 168, David Benavidez has one of the weakest resumes among titleholders (who the hell are Ronald Ellis and Kyrone Davis?). Yes, Benavidez is huge for 168 and he would be a real threat against Canelo (which is why Canelo is ducking him) but if Benavidez wants the Canelo fight, why don't he take on David Morell and unify the titles? A win over the classy morell would put Benavidez among the elite. A far more lucrative fight for canelo. But instead, he wants to move up and fight over-the-hill Gvozdyk. Fans can talk all the smack they want about Canelo for ducking Benavidez, but Benavidez deserves equal treatment for blatantly ducking Morrel.

Benavidez is pretty good. I think he gets a fair amount of criticism and has passed his tests, as mild as some have been, Plant stood out as a good win, kinda showed how easily David could turn a fighter with a good game plan to a bleeding mess after winning a few inside exchanges pretty well sold the fact he’s dangerous.

Morrell is also dangerous.

I hope they fight.

There is a difference between overrated & thin resume.

A lot of us gave David flack at 1st for his resume. However, we can't blame him now. Its clear that he would fight Canelo or Charlo but neither of them want to face him.

He certainly has passed the eye test by brutally battering the people he has faced. There is a reason why Canelo is avoiding him.

The only flack you can still give him is Morrell. But him moving up to LHW to fight a former champ and chasing the Bivol Biev winner makes up for Morrell. A Morrell who also doesn't have an impressive resume too. So its not like he's earned a mega fight either to be honest.

Benavidez deserves to be one of the faces of the sport at this moment.

There is a difference between overrated & thin resume.

A lot of us gave David flack at 1st for his resume. However, we can't blame him now. Its clear that he would fight Canelo or Charlo but neither of them want to face him.

He certainly has passed the eye test by brutally battering the people he has faced. There is a reason why Canelo is avoiding him.

The only flack you can still give him is Morrell. But him moving up to LHW to fight a former champ and chasing the Bivol Biev winner makes up for Morrell. A Morrell who also doesn't have an impressive resume too. So its not like he's earned a mega fight either to be honest.

Benavidez deserves to be one of the faces of the sport at this moment.
honestly, his criticism also comes from the fact that he's somehow managed to lose his title twice, that he's tucked his dick when morrell wanted to fight him before the plant fight, and that he turned down a beterbiev fight. now, that last one isn't exactly fair, but you can't be running your mouth how everyone's afraid of you and turning down fights vs monsters.

but he is a tough son of a bitch and his fights are always very exciting. i don't particularly like his style, but i'll always be tuning in.

don't know how well he'll do now vs guys he doesn't tower over and doesn't have a big reach advantage on, but i bet it's gonna be great tv.

no, up until recently i think Haney was the most overrated.
as of right now i think its that Hitchens dude. he's pretty boring and talks like he's KO-ing everyone.
Benavidez has proven to be a dangerous man, he's just volatile and has lost his belt twice outside the ring. i dont think he's overrated.

Nah it's Haney. Thought he was a pillow-fisted snooze machine for years, almost got dropped by old and washed Linares, had ugly fights with Kambo, barely scraped by Loma, and then looked phenomenal vs declining Prograis. Haney should have had no problem against Ryan Garcia but he's just not that good, and it showed. For all the shit people give Tank for not fighting the champs, he'd run through both Haney and Garcia if he fought them next weekend. Another way to look at it is Haney is a big guy and he's still growing, so he'll move to 147 at some point, but does he stand a chance vs someone like Ennis? Not on your life.

If Haney ever moves to 147 and fights Ennis, i'd be willing to bet my account that Ennis KO's Haney flat.

Next Floyd my ass.

Nah it's Haney. Thought he was a pillow-fisted snooze machine for years, almost got dropped by old and washed Linares, had ugly fights with Kambo, barely scraped by Loma, and then looked phenomenal vs declining Prograis. Haney should have had no problem against Ryan Garcia but he's just not that good, and it showed. For all the shit people give Tank for not fighting the champs, he'd run through both Haney and Garcia if he fought them next weekend. Another way to look at it is Haney is a big guy and he's still growing, so he'll move to 147 at some point, but does he stand a chance vs someone like Ennis? Not on your life.

If Haney ever moves to 147 and fights Ennis, i'd be willing to bet my account that Ennis KO's Haney flat.

Next Floyd my ass.
"I'll bet my account on the guy who's heavily favored"

Apart from a 35 year old andrade who was only in his second fight at 168, David Benavidez has one of the weakest resumes among titleholders (who the hell are Ronald Ellis and Kyrone Davis?). Yes, Benavidez is huge for 168 and he would be a real threat against Canelo (which is why Canelo is ducking him) but if Benavidez wants the Canelo fight, why don't he take on David Morell and unify the titles? A win over the classy morell would put Benavidez among the elite. A far more lucrative fight for canelo. But instead, he wants to move up and fight over-the-hill Gvozdyk. Fans can talk all the smack they want about Canelo for ducking Benavidez, but Benavidez deserves equal treatment for blatantly ducking Morrel.
Uh ohhh.
Another Mexican got you afraid.
Tell u right now, ain't no "brothas" beating Benavidez.
It's gonna take a Mexican or a Russian, to accomplish that.

Good thing you haven't bet your account on your outlandish predictions taco boy.
Coming from bandwagon boy. Cheering for some Japanese guy and a black American, and a Cuban and a Russian guy, on the basis of "I like watching good fighters/boxing", all while being British. You fuckin cosmopolitan loser.

Coming from bandwagon boy. Cheering for some Japanese guy and a black American, and a Cuban and a Russian guy, on the basis of "I like watching good fighters/boxing", all while being British. You fuckin cosmopolitan loser.

Put down the tacos and stop fapping into the Mexican flag while you're at it you clown. I've been following Naoya since he beat Adrian Hernandez, and i followed Ennis and Morrell while they were going through the amateur ranks. Typical taco boy has no fucking idea what he's waffling on about, like when you said i jumped on the Usyk bandwagon after he beat Joshua and the Bivol bandwagon after he beat Canelo, even though i said both Usyk and Bivol would win those fights. Didn't you say Valdez would KO Shakur? lol.

Take your blind worship of every Mexican fighter and shove it up your ass you dumb fuck.

Just another weight bully.

Put down the tacos and stop fapping into the Mexican flag while you're at it you clown. I've been following Naoya since he beat Adrian Hernandez, and i followed Ennis and Morrell while they were going through the amateur ranks. Typical taco boy has no fucking idea what he's waffling on about, like when you said i jumped on the Usyk bandwagon after he beat Joshua and the Bivol bandwagon after he beat Canelo, even though i said both Usyk and Bivol would win those fights. Didn't you say Valdez would KO Shakur? lol.

Take your blind worship of every Mexican fighter and shove it up your ass you dumb fuck.

I take his blind worship of every Mexican fighter as tongue in cheek.

He tries to play it off as a gimmick when he predicts wrong, but then he's suddenly Nostradamus when he's right, all while picking faults with who i support because i don't solely support British boxers. He's a clown in the truest sense.

Uh ohhh.
Another Mexican got you afraid.
Tell u right now, ain't no "brothas" beating Benavidez.
It's gonna take a Mexican or a Russian, to accomplish that.
Your insecurities towards "brothas" always gives me a good chuckle.
Ryan Garcia beats one "brotha" & now you want to act like he wouldn't get turned into the Brazzers Blacked meme by every "brotha" from 140-154 plus Tank.
Good thing you haven't bet your account on your outlandish predictions taco boy.
Which account??? LMAO. He has so many banned ones I'm sure he wouldn't mind making a 15th for when he picks "Insert random Spanish sounding name journeyman" to stop "brotha" Terrance Bud Crawford.
Yeah, but you're wrong very often. So this pretty much means bet the house on it not being tongue & cheek.

Last edited:
Yeah, but you're wrong very often. So this pretty much means bet the house on it not being tongue & cheek.

How can you not see how pathetic this makes you look? I had to rack my brain to remember who you were, then remembered you're the Haney fanboy that can't accept he lost to Loma. You absolute loser.

<Dany07>

And what the fuck is "tongue & cheek"? It's tongue IN cheek you dummy. Fails coming thick and fast with you. lol

Back