Yoel Romero, destined for greatness

He barely survived vs Kennedy and that whole between rounds fiasco was BS. Machida would beat him, Weidman would too

Mark Schultz and that little Henry guy that misses weight every fight plus the guy who stopped the greatest HW wrestler of all time were all gold medal winners so I would hardly call him the best wrestler ever in MMA.

For real, respect the Rulon.

Rulon.gif

He barely survived vs Kennedy and that whole between rounds fiasco was BS. Machida would beat him, Weidman would too

So many great fighters barely survived their greatest fights. A fighter who almost lost before finishing their opponent won decisively.

Shaky chin

Suspect cardio

I don't see him beating the Rockhold's, the machida's, the jacare's

I think he will probably lose a sd to Jacare then be relegated to gatekeeper status.

10 years ago absolutely, but he's getting up and doesn't have the best cardio.

for your new years resolution, you decide to get in shape.
nearest gym to you trains ufc and you read that its a good way to get toned.
walk into gym and youre greeted with this
BiJiUoUIIAAqiD9.jpg

stand your ground or retreat?

Father Time is his only impediment.

Yoels mma wrestling is insane overrated. Its actually nothing to even get worked up about. He may have the best amateur wrestling credential pre-mma, but as far as actually applying and actually using wrestling effectively he doesnt even crack top 10. Chris is a better MMA wrestler and would also knock him out.

agree

for your new years resolution, you decide to get in shape.
nearest gym to you trains ufc and you read that its a good way to get toned.
walk into gym and youre greeted with this
BiJiUoUIIAAqiD9.jpg

stand your ground or retreat?

with dem lips ...

Last edited:
romero is 2 old,i dont see him beating the chris,machida,rockhold,anderson or jacare
askren,cejudo,dc,chris,velasquez,dillashaw have better mma wrestling
machida would ko him and stuff his td or get up if taken down,rockhold would do the same

He is, hands down.. the BEST wrestler to ever compete in MMA. Legit Olympic caliber and silver medalist.

Nobody else, really even comes close.

You mean "most credentialed"? Cause there's a huge, Nicki Minaj-sized ass distinction to be made between resume and performance in MMA. Did you know that Overeem is the K1 Grand Prix Champ?

As far as that goes, though, Matt Lindland, Mark Shultz and Kevin Jackson were definitely "close".

Against Markes he showed his potential. Graceful striking mixing it up with his already beautiful wrestling. Then comes the Derek Brunson fight.

This fight is often brought up to discredit Yoel, or to claim he is simply "hype".

Who is Derek Brunson? Well, he's a 3 time all american division 2 wrestler. He's considerably more experienced in MMA than Yoel.. and he's 5-2 in strikeforce and UFC. Yoel, is apparently not a very good MMA wrestler, because he was taken down by this man.

I encourage you to actually go re-watch this fight. As a fight fan, we tend to get caught up in the moment. When watching a Yoel Romero fight, we think.. " this guy is an amazing wrestler". So to see him be taken down, fickle fans are quick to say " Ha, Olympic wrestler my ass".

He was taken down, because he showed zero concern for Brunsons wrestling. Moving in, trying to make the fight exciting and take his head off.

I would suggest you actually run both of those fights back.

What beautiful wrestling are you referring to? It certainly wasn't when Markes out-wrestled him. It also couldn't have been when Brunson took him down three times while he failed to reciprocate even once, none of which had anything to do with his 'fun or die' style. Hell, the initial takedown of the fight was Derek literally just shooting in with little or no setup, getting under his hips and muscling him down after a brief struggle. Then after another, his guard was passed with ease and he was mounted for 1-2 minutes.

These.were.POOR.PERFORMANCES from a wrestling standpoint and any objective observer is right to factor them into their analysis. Just like they'd give him credit for stuffing Tim Kennedy's takedowns. Just like they'd review his Feijao fight where he was again out-wrestled though it was early in his career.

We'll see what the future holds, but all we can do at any given point is draw conclusions from the data available and it's luke warm right now. He's dangerous. And powerful. And Athletic. But he also looks quite beatable against guys like Machida, Rockhold and Weidman.

Last edited:
Super athlete.

But without his stool, I don't know how he can challenge for the belt.

Cael sanderson is not the greatest American wrestler of all time. He only has one world level championship to his credit.

The greatest American wrestler is probably 2x olympic champ, 4x World champ and current Oklahoma State head wrestling coach John Smith. Sanderson is easily one of the best COLLEGE wrestlers ever, though.

I would've loved to see Romero in his prime wrestle one of the Schultz bros, personally. Battle of the anaerobics lol

Back