Yoel Romero, destined for greatness

Yeah .... he can take a decent shot mate

2v27e6s.gif

For 'roids that is. In any case, he may make further inroads into MW div' but he doesn't stand a chance against Weidman. Don't get me wrong, I was happy when he mashed Kennedy's face into the canvas but he's about to hit the ceiling.

He's good, but lets not over do it. He's not beating Machida, Weidman, Jacare, Mousasi, Rockhold or even Silva.

He is a beast
His biggest weakness I would say is his ground game, no shame on be taken down by Brunson, the problem is to be mounted by him then and have no answer. If that's his ground control, imagine if Jacare get the TD somehow, Yoel wuld be fucked up.

Also, his ablity to establish top control once he gets the TD and work the guard passing/GnP or sub is mediocre if not bad. He doesnt seem to care at all, but he doesnt have the skill neither, and he will neeed it, when he faces a guy with better standup than Kennedy or start gassing wich he does, he will need to rely on his TD more, and his lack of any ground control will be a problem

I still like him too much

I think he can go all the way, id like to see him take a page out of Askrens book and use his wrestling more, hes an exciting fighter with good power but against the top middleweights he will struggle if he opts to mainly strike, kennedy did show hes there to be hit and because hes so muscular he seems to tighten up after round 1, like to see him come out and shoot more early on, no one is stopping his takedowns.
Yoel v jacare is the fight i wanna see, maybe after one of them gets a shot at the belt tho.

He obviously didn't care about being taken down and its easy to see why, whenever I've seen Yoel get taken down he springs back up with ease, its scary to watch.

Brunson mounted him and ended the round there, fanboy

I used to care, kinda still do tough, about all the hicks and kids calling him for his pants malfunction and the questionable stoolgate accident. Even before that, he was constantly dismissed as a fighter and, as an example, they always brought up the Brunson fight.
Now we know for sure, of course, granted we believe him and makes lucid assessments ourselves, he had no care or respect for Brunson's wrestling ability. But he visibly got taken down in that fight, and, because of it, said himself that after that he started to work on finally implementing(think of that, all his past fights were on improving his striking) his wrestling. We saw devastating results in two of his fights after that. He dominated them, with exception being Kennedy's glove grab shots. And I hope you know that Tavares is a tough guy who aims at controlling and smothering, that Kennedy ditched Yoel's wrestling potential and had the audacity to say he will hold him for three rounds. None of that but the opposite happened.

I knew he will go far from his first ufc fight. I don't believe Jacare can control him or knock his metal chin out. He will be a fool to ignore the fact that Yoel right now is becoming an amazingly accurate striker with great combinations and literally(!) bone shattering power.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark Schultz and that little Henry guy that misses weight every fight plus the guy who stopped the greatest HW wrestler of all time were all gold medal winners so I would hardly call him the best wrestler ever in MMA.

Love Yoel hes the fun to watch and always get excited to see him

He is gonna get his ass beat by Jacare and people are gonna shut the fuck up about him. The guy had to cheat to beat Kennedy who is one of the slowest fighters in the division.

Rockholt would beat him with kicks. So would Lyoto.

His MMA wrestling is terrible, he gets taken down in every fight he's been in.

Calm down. The only legit factor is that the guy didnt start until he was 32 and that is a factor. But neither did Couture and the guy won the belt like 75 times.

Considering your name is 'crimsonfan', its rather fitting you are a big Romero fan.

Thats why I see him as champion in 2015. The Soldier of God is coming for that title.

He's good, but lets not over do it. He's not beating Mousasi
Gotta love the silly unproven Mousasi hype. Yoel would ride him for 3 rounds pretty easily if he wanted to fight that way.

Nobody that knows wrestling thinks Cael Sanderson is the American GOAT. That would be John Smith.

His wrestling is very good, but lol at being the best ever in the UFC. Freestyle doesn't translate as well as folk style does. They have a noticeably harder time controlling opponents on the ground. Numerous times Romero has taken someone down only for them to pop up 20 seconds later. He'll get out wrestled by Weidman if he manages to make it past Jacare.

Few fighters really get me excited these days. Yoel is one of them.

He is, hands down.. the BEST wrestler to ever compete in MMA. Legit Olympic caliber and silver medalist.

Nobody else, really even comes close. The most impressive part of his game is that he doesn't lay on his opponents, or use his wrestling to abuse the point system and grind out wins.. infact, he's got two of the most amazing third round finishes i've ever seen against Brunson and Kennedy.

Yoel is 37 years old, and didn't even start fighting until 2009 when he was 32. That is insane.. can you imagine this guy in his early 20's? 10 years past his physical prime, he's manhandling the MW division and is a serious title contender.

Although he suffered a setback agains Feijao, he's looked outstanding this far. It should also be noted that Feijao went on a serious run a few years ago, winning the Strikeforce LHW championship. People will talk about his fall from grace in the UFC, but often times in this sport, a fighter can peak and deteriorate very quickly. Feijao, was very legit at the time. When he beat King Mo, the guy was a force. Questionable cardio, chin, and heart have been his downfall in recent years. Ofcourse on Sherdog, this is perfect for bashing a fighter and claiming he was never any good.

Since that fight, he's dropped to MW and gone undefeated. 5-0, with 3 third round finishes. Who else even has 3 last round stoppages in their entire career?

Against Markes he showed his potential. Graceful striking mixing it up with his already beautiful wrestling. Then comes the Derek Brunson fight.

This fight is often brought up to discredit Yoel, or to claim he is simply "hype".

Who is Derek Brunson? Well, he's a 3 time all american division 2 wrestler. He's considerably more experienced in MMA than Yoel.. and he's 5-2 in strikeforce and UFC. Yoel, is apparently not a very good MMA wrestler, because he was taken down by this man.

I encourage you to actually go re-watch this fight. As a fight fan, we tend to get caught up in the moment. When watching a Yoel Romero fight, we think.. " this guy is an amazing wrestler". So to see him be taken down, fickle fans are quick to say " Ha, Olympic wrestler my ass".

He was taken down, because he showed zero concern for Brunsons wrestling. Moving in, trying to make the fight exciting and take his head off. Brunson is a wrestler, that is his background. This is why he is a pro MMA fighter, he can wrestle. Often fans forget the end result of this fight, Derek a bloody mess on the floor. Yoel also holds stoppages in the UFC against Markes and Kennedy. Fans also love to discredit him for the Kennedy fight, where he once again left his opponent a bloody mess on the floor. This time dominating his highly touted opponent for the first two rounds, not giving up a single takedown to the grappling expert Kennedy.

Yoel's biggest weakness is father time. He's old, no beating around the bush. The guy started his MMA career in his 30's and has been competing at the highest level for years. He holds two victories of Cael Sanderson, who many people consider to be the greatest American Wrestler of all time. I think his time is right now, he's got all the talent to win the belt. His cardio, and chin are a major concern. We've seen holes in his game in this area.. perhaps the weight cut is to blame for his cardio, and we see aging fighters have problems taking shots. He's old, he needs to work on his cardio. He IS the best athlete at MW and is capable of giving Weidman a serious wrestling lesson.

Thoughts?

Nope. This guy was 1-0!

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Rulon-Gardner-11813

Back