Yoel Romero, destined for greatness

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by CrimsonFan, Jan 3, 2015.

1. CrimsonFan

CrimsonFan Gold Belt

Few fighters really get me excited these days. Yoel is one of them.

He is, hands down.. the BEST wrestler to ever compete in MMA. Legit Olympic caliber and silver medalist.

Nobody else, really even comes close. The most impressive part of his game is that he doesn't lay on his opponents, or use his wrestling to abuse the point system and grind out wins.. infact, he's got two of the most amazing third round finishes i've ever seen against Brunson and Kennedy.

Yoel is 37 years old, and didn't even start fighting until 2009 when he was 32. That is insane.. can you imagine this guy in his early 20's? 10 years past his physical prime, he's manhandling the MW division and is a serious title contender.

Although he suffered a setback agains Feijao, he's looked outstanding this far. It should also be noted that Feijao went on a serious run a few years ago, winning the Strikeforce LHW championship. People will talk about his fall from grace in the UFC, but often times in this sport, a fighter can peak and deteriorate very quickly. Feijao, was very legit at the time. When he beat King Mo, the guy was a force. Questionable cardio, chin, and heart have been his downfall in recent years. Ofcourse on Sherdog, this is perfect for bashing a fighter and claiming he was never any good.

Since that fight, he's dropped to MW and gone undefeated. 5-0, with 3 third round finishes. Who else even has 3 last round stoppages in their entire career?

Against Markes he showed his potential. Graceful striking mixing it up with his already beautiful wrestling. Then comes the Derek Brunson fight.

This fight is often brought up to discredit Yoel, or to claim he is simply "hype".

Who is Derek Brunson? Well, he's a 3 time all american division 2 wrestler. He's considerably more experienced in MMA than Yoel.. and he's 5-2 in strikeforce and UFC. Yoel, is apparently not a very good MMA wrestler, because he was taken down by this man.

I encourage you to actually go re-watch this fight. As a fight fan, we tend to get caught up in the moment. When watching a Yoel Romero fight, we think.. " this guy is an amazing wrestler". So to see him be taken down, fickle fans are quick to say " Ha, Olympic wrestler my ass".

He was taken down, because he showed zero concern for Brunsons wrestling. Moving in, trying to make the fight exciting and take his head off. Brunson is a wrestler, that is his background. This is why he is a pro MMA fighter, he can wrestle. Often fans forget the end result of this fight, Derek a bloody mess on the floor. Yoel also holds stoppages in the UFC against Markes and Kennedy. Fans also love to discredit him for the Kennedy fight, where he once again left his opponent a bloody mess on the floor. This time dominating his highly touted opponent for the first two rounds, not giving up a single takedown to the grappling expert Kennedy.

Yoel's biggest weakness is father time. He's old, no beating around the bush. The guy started his MMA career in his 30's and has been competing at the highest level for years. He holds two victories of Cael Sanderson, who many people consider to be the greatest American Wrestler of all time. I think his time is right now, he's got all the talent to win the belt. His cardio, and chin are a major concern. We've seen holes in his game in this area.. perhaps the weight cut is to blame for his cardio, and we see aging fighters have problems taking shots. He's old, he needs to work on his cardio. He IS the best athlete at MW and is capable of giving Weidman a serious wrestling lesson.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  2. estranged

estranged Brown Belt

cliffs pls

3. the ax murderer

the ax murderer Looking At The Stars.

Yoel Romera be good.

He give Chris trouble.

He might be 2 old.

4. CrimsonFan

CrimsonFan Gold Belt

Yoel Romero is a badass

5. Kwic

Kwic Black Belt

Thoughts?

I knew he was a monster after his first UFC fight.
    He is a beast, people keep underestimating him. He can very well be a champion, but it won't be easy against Weidman who I would give advantage to, but by no means would I count out Yoel. Dude has heart.

6. jmd69

jmd69 Brown Belt

So long as he gets an extra minute on the stool then you should not worry too much about his cardio or chin TS

7. CrimsonFan

CrimsonFan Gold Belt

I'd really like to hear some feedback from the doubters who believe he's overrated or his MMA-wrestling isn't any good.

8. jmd69

jmd69 Brown Belt

I think you will be hard pressed to find many doubters to tell the truth. The guy is a beast and definitely not overrated.

9. Hans Gercmiov

Hans Gercmiov Steel Belt

He pooped his pants.

10. Raphael

Raphael Blue Belt

i jus df hjk

11. maleproblem

maleproblem Blue Belt

'til he gets popped (he already pooped) it's only a matter of time

12. DrRodentia

DrRodentia Purple Belt

Even if you think his cardio is questionable, he is still very dangerous even when he's tired/gassing. This is evident in his several third round finishes.

Maybe five rounds would be a different story.

13. THE WARMASTER

THE WARMASTER Smell those Douglas firs

Beat me to it. Damn good wrestler though.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  14. EUmma

EUmma White Belt

i really like him. got heart and is an awesome athlete.
    if he can make a run at the title? we will see that when he faces jacare

15. synyster

synyster Brown Belt

i havnt been impressed with his cardio I could never cheer for him after stoolgate.. if he started mma younger he might of had a shot at the belt

16. PivotPunch

PivotPunch Red Belt

he has the talent but I don't think he has the time left he's too old

17. MMAlover123

MMAlover123 Orange Belt

He's an excellent fighter , he has beaten some great fighters , is explosive , very athletic for anyones standards at 37 years old !! , hard striker , his Wrestling is elite ( the best wrestler in the middleweight division in my opinion ) still dangerous in the later rounds and is tough as fuck , anyone remember the high kick he taken from Brunson ? he ate that like a gooden .

[​IMG]

18. Evbo

Evbo Black Belt

Fixed

19. Bloodworth

Bloodworth Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Dont think he will get past Jacare and will not be able to do much after..Started a little too late..Still dangerous as hell

20. BlkBeltJones

BlkBeltJones Green Belt

True.

I remember watching his fight with Feijao and wondered "who is this annoying dude dancing around the cage like a clown" - then being happy when he got KO'd, lol.

After he came to the UFC I became a fan of the guy and been rootin for him ever since.

On a side note, what the hell happened to Feijao? Wish he could get it together.