Would you be surprised if Gaethje defeats Nurmagomedov?

even though i pick Gaethje as the best style to beat Khabib in the LW division, i still would be surprised. Khabib doesn't have a clear weakness like other champions.

The game plan has been clear as day since day 1... don't get taken down.

Joe Rogan: "They know what he wants to do, they can't stop it."

you can't win just by avoiding getting taken down. also how do you avoid getting taken down? and even if you avoid getting taken down, he will still shoot over and over again and make it difficult to apply a striking gameplan against him because he will control the pace with his grappling still, even without successful takedowns the way Cain did to JDS.

Would you be surprised if Gaethje defeats Nurmagomedov?
GrimEnlightenedBlacklemur-size_restricted.gif

No. He has as good of a chance as anyone at LW imo. I might put the dark horse called Charles Oliveira up there just because he would be a toughest fight for Khabib on the ground.

The game plan has been clear as day since day 1... don't get taken down.

Joe Rogan: "They know what he wants to do, they can't stop it."
Avoid being taken down just make you lose a 9-10 round. That is the problem: if you push forwards and throw punches, you take risk of being taken down; if you pay attention to takedown defence, you may avoid being taken down, but you will lose the round for lack of aggressiveness.

The big question is Gaethje's wrestling. If it turns out to be as legendary as suspected - I wouldn't be surprised. But if Justin gets rag dolled like everyone else, has no answer from the bottom, but suddenly pulls something out of the hat - then, yeah, I'd be surprised.

you can't win just by avoiding getting taken down. also how do you avoid getting taken down? and even if you avoid getting taken down, he will still shoot over and over again and make it difficult to apply a striking gameplan against him because he will control the pace with his grappling still, even without successful takedowns the way Cain did to JDS.
It seems Tibau was able to prevent Khabibs takedowns. That was 7 or so years ago. Did Tibau have the secret anti-Khabib ability? Or has Khabib gotten way better since then?

Of course, we are talkin about an undefeated fighter who has never been in danger in 28 fights and still in his prime.
It's not about Gaethje, I'll be surprised to see Khabib losing to any LW right now.

I wouldn't be that surprised if Khabib got ko'd, it can happen to anyone, and Gaethje has ko'd last few opponents, but I would be mindblown if Gaethje won by decision, because I can't imagine Khabib losing 3 rounds to anyone at 155, unless he's fighting with a broken leg

Not really.
Khabib is beaable. He will eventually be figured out, if he doesnt retire before. I dont know if Gaethje is the one, but he def posses enough power and pressure to be one of the frst fighters, who wont back of from Khabib. Therefore it will be interesting to see, how the fight goes.

I dont know if Gaethje is the one, but imo, if Khabib has another 3 fights in the division, he will lose to one of those guys. Unless they give him Conor and Nate.

It’ll be a treat either way. Justin is amazing at getting back up

Its pretty clear JG is already prepared for Khabib.

If Khabib can't get you moving backwards. If he cant use the fence to implement Judo TDs hes gonna spend his day bull rushing.

That's the rub.

Conor had his best moments getting up in the middle of the cage.

Khabib is a master of cage use, against Tony Justin stopped backing up and fired hard single shots straight down the pipe. That same tactic will work well on Khabib.

No ..... Khabib is fairly one dimensional for such an elite fighter and Gaethje hits hard ...... I still expect Khabib to win

I'd be shocked.

Gathje has impressive striking, but his TDD and wrestling in the octagon has been not proven.

Khabib has easily dominated many better fighters than Gathje.

I know MMAth seldom adds up, however, Justin Gaethje was finished by Eddie Alvarez and Dustin Poirier. Therefore, if he finishes Khabib Nurmagomedov or wins a clear UD, then Khabib's legacy will lose A LOT of points in my ignorant opinion.

In my ignorant opinion, Justin Gaethje lost a lot of points losing to Eddie Alvarez and Dustin Poirier. These are dudes that Conor McGregor swatted around as if they were old flies on their last wings, and Conor McGregor still has an "inconclusive" asterisk next to his name, in my ignorant opinion.

I can't get over that. LOL

It seems Tibau was able to prevent Khabibs takedowns. That was 7 or so years ago. Did Tibau have the secret anti-Khabib ability? Or has Khabib gotten way better since then?

Tibau was on steroids and Khabib is way better. isn't that obvious?

Back