Would you be surprised if Gaethje defeats Nurmagomedov?

As a rock/paper/scissors match-up Gaethje should do well, and that stuff sometimes works like with Werdum beating Cain. But I don't see Gaethje stuffing him later in the fight. Which I think this comes down to. Got to score points in the later rounds to get the decision.

If Khabib loses (or struggles hard) this will tell a lot about his ceiling and basically kill any chance of him fighting at WW. Because I've always thought Khabib will retire fairly young with not a lot of LW title defenses, and his last fight will be at WW.

I would be surprised yes, but I’ve always maintained that Gaethje is one of Khabibs toughest fights, a lot tougher than Ferguson
I really don't see how Gaethje would win. Maybe he will do good takedown defence to avoid being taken down, but this will not be enough to help him win but will just make him lose via UD due to lack of aggressiveness. To win the fight, he will have to not only do good takedown defence but also outstrike Nurmagomedov, but he would not be able to pay attention to takedown defence if he will try throwing many punches.

The Wrestling of Khabib is unfuckwithable imo too technical it's not some fluke, no one can just have an anti wrestle game plan it's not on the cards unless you have some outrageously good olympic level or like Khabib have been throwing hard bastards and bears arounds since childhood.

Khabib hasn't fought anyone with Gaethje's level of wrestling.

Khabib hasn't fought anyone with Gaethje's level of wrestling.

which means fuck all in MMA, you can also say that Justin's striking is unproven because he never fought a striker like Conor. Although you can definitely say that Justin's wrestling doesnt mean anything in MMA, since Khabib is the best grappler Justin would have ever fought at Lw.

which means fuck all in MMA, you can also say that Justin's striking is unproven because he never fought a striker like Conor. Although you can definitely say that Justin's wrestling doesnt mean anything in MMA, since Khabib is the best grappler Justin would have ever fought at Lw.

No one's managed to hold Justin down for longer than a second, he has great scrambles.

He's got no fear of throwing heavy kicks and punches because he knows he has the wrestling to get the fight back to the feet.

No one's managed to hold Justin down for longer than a second, he has great scrambles.

He's got no fear of throwing heavy kicks and punches because he knows he has the wrestling to get the fight back to the feet.

Yeah well it's easy to do that when no one really tries to take you down and keep you there. Justin could win, who knows ? But you guys should stop saying his wrestling will make the difference, it won't.

Yeah well it's easy to do that when no one really tries to take you down and keep you there. Justin could win, who knows ? But you guys should stop saying his wrestling will make the difference, it won't.

I'm just saying it will give him a better shot than the last few guys.

I think the fights a tossup, if he can stay on the feet long enough to land a few shots it could get interesting.

I dunno man. I think JG has a little better wrestling defense and a little more tenacity than MJ.
True. I was more implying that the fight will look similar. Gaethje is definitely better than MJ but Khabib is going to make them look the same..

Surprised maybe but I wouldn’t be totally shocked either.

I favour Khabib but would not be shocked if Justin wins. I do not see this as a 1 sided beatdown like most of Khabib's wins. Justin will be Khabib's toughest fight in a long long time IMO

surprised, yes. but not shocked. gaethje has the toolbox to do it. probably the better striking, and the wrestling to stop the TD.

Hmm, you could be right, but I think it is too good to be true. Someone like Rockhold, who looked invincible after the Weidman fight, was then exposed to have a glaring flaw in terms of boxing defense.

My pet theory is that khabib will look awful going backwards, and won't know how to beat an opponent if they press forward and don't give ground.

But that could be wrong, and he could legitimately just be that good.
We will see.

I would say that you have a good point and Khabib already have looked awful going backwards but when you watch it closely was more weird than awful, he avoid almost all the damage with awkward movements that seems uncoordinated and unathletic, but it works, of course, somebody with great gas tank, amazing takedown defense and heavy hands could take take advantage of this situation and at some point connect him hard enough to make him get careless and finish him, but that is not a blueprint, Rockhold is a different animal, he didn't master anything and in his case the blueprint was clear always, connect him hard enough and that's all.

I really don't see how Gaethje would win. Maybe he will do good takedown defence to avoid being taken down, but this will not be enough to help him win but will just make him lose via UD due to lack of aggressiveness. To win the fight, he will have to not only do good takedown defence but also outstrike Nurmagomedov, but he would not be able to pay attention to takedown defence if he will try throwing many punches.
Read again I said it would be unlikely for JG to win. As much as JG has to worry about the takedown he has a lot better takedown defence than TF, yet Khabib has to worry about the power. JG messes up Ferg and has been knocking guys out. He’ll outstrike Khabib standing bit Lhabib will be a bit more methodical and tentative

Not surprised but unexpected. Bibs standup is a lot better than he gets crediit for, and i think hes going to be stronger than Justin

Back