Would Joanna beat Carla and Penne if they were same size as her?

well, thats why i dont get the argument about JJ being taller (she's not thicker) helping her TDD. look at most wrestlers and theyre not guys like Stefan Struve.

never seen the Cowboy/Jones one...gonna have to look that up.

As a tall thin judoka, the short stocky grapplers had an advantage over me once they got in to my hips. Length can be a disadvantage.

Longer reach would have helped Carla.

Penne had the longer reach in their bout no? Penne also had longer legs for submissions and is known as a great grappler,,,, did not help her. I do not think a longer reach would help, if she was as explosive as mendes, she would have got JJ down just like mendes did to conor and every other taller fighter he faces

As a tall thin judoka, the short stocky grapplers had an advantage over me once they got in to my hips. Length can be a disadvantage.

people don't understand this on here bc they don't train. They see Jones ragdolling people, but he is special. Not many people with his frame can do what he does

i agree...its all about leverage. i train MT and its the same thing since im taller and lankier if stocky guys get inside my kicks/punches. would be a different story if i was using elbows and knees to the head in sparring but if youre talking just kickboxing sparring, stocky guys can be a nightmare for someone tall.

if youre talking MT clinch, the taller guy has an advantage but thats only because there are no double/single legs in Muay Thai.

people don't understand this on here bc they don't train. They see Jones ragdolling people, but he is special. Not many people with his frame can do what he does

i agree...its all about leverage. i train MT and its the same thing since im taller and lankier if stocky guys get inside my kicks/punches. would be a different story if i was using elbows and knees to the head in sparring but if youre talking just kickboxing sparring, stocky guys can be a nightmare for someone tall.

if youre talking MT clinch, the taller guy has an advantage but thats only because there are no double/single legs in Muay Thai.

No to mention that 6'1", 155 vs 5'9", 155-- the shorter guy carries more muscle and is stronger most of the time.

They all weigh in the about the same. This is no different than Jon Jones fighting Daniel Cormier.

We all know what happens when Joanna gets taken down. We saw it when she fought Claudia. She also has very good skills in getting back up.

EDIT* Also, there is no coincidence. Claudia is 3" shorter than Joanna and has 2 inches less reach.

Last edited:
We all know what happens when Joanna gets taken down. We saw in when she fought Claudia. She also has very good skills in getting back up.

thats why i kinda feel she fights like Chuck a little bit haha. she throws the overhand and if taken down, gets back up...even if it means taking some shots to do so.

No to mention that 6'1", 155 vs 5'9", 155-- the shorter guy carries more muscle and is stronger most of the time.

im not too tall, about 6 foot but stocky strong 5'8 guys always have an advantage and are tough to grapple with. Not talking about striking just grappling

umm...no. Carla lost because she has amateur striking and couldnt get JJ down. Joanna has WAY better standup than Carla or Penne and they paid the price for not being able to get the takedown.

hell...speaking of people from Team Oyama, Ian McCall said he cut around 25lbs to fight against Mighty Mouse. the bigger person in the cage doesn't always win...Cain never weighed 265 and Lyoto came into a few of his LHW fights around 203.

Conor didnt do TUF but im thinking his media tour was much more exhausting than Carla's and he still managed to beat Mendes.

JoJed had a full fight camp. Mendes had two weeks.

Nope, I think they BOTH could take her at the same time...even at the size they are now.

You are basically admitting Joanna is the bigger fighter. Just because Roy Nelson is fat doesnt mean he is a natural HW. Switch some lights on.

Where did I say Joanna wins only due to size? I didnt even said I personally would favour Esparza or Penne over Joanna if they were same size.

I made this thread because I knew people will get their jimmies rustled and start to act like Joanna`s size advantage had NOTHING to do with her dominance over Esparza and Penne. Which is silly, because the only reason they say so is because they just happen to like Joanna and dislike especially Esparza. I like to expose people`s bias and double standards.

BMI/body mass index relates to body composition, body fat to lean muscle mass, it has nothing to do with actual "size" in appearance. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, yet you continue to speak.

And if you really want to get technical, one pound of muscle being dense and compact in size takes up less space within the body than one pound of fat does. Visually consider what a 1 pound bar of lead would like compared to a 1 pound bag of cotton, and there you have it.

A 115 pound girl with 20% body fat will "appear" larger than a 115 pound girl with 10% body fat ... fact. Being more muscular does not equal being larger in size, and you are genuinely ignorant if you believe this.

You have based on your entire OP as it pertains to Penne on the fact that she used to fight at 105, which in your layman's brain means that she must be the physically smaller girl ... it does not.

In this case, Penne has a higher BMI than JJ, she carries more of her weight in fat, and therefore also carries more water = she has more water weight that she can lose than JJ.

Now if you had said "physically weaker" then your post might have some validity. More muscle does equal more strength, and the fact that Penne has more body fat and less muscle than JJ is Penne's fault. If she would train like an athlete she would develop more muscle mass. Go check out Penne's training vids, and then watch Joanna's .. night and day difference.

So this is not about "size" as you defined it, it is about strength. JJ earned hers, Penne can do the same. Next ...

BMI/body mass index relates to body composition, body fat to lean muscle mass, it has nothing to do with actual "size" in appearance. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, yet you continue to speak.

And if you really want to get technical, one pound of muscle being dense and compact in size takes up less space within the body than one pound of fat does. Visually consider what a 1 pound bar of lead would like compared to a 1 pound bag of cotton, and there you have it.

A 115 pound girl with 20% body fat will "appear" larger than a 115 pound girl with 10% body fat ... fact. Being more muscular does not equal being larger in size, and you are genuinely ignorant if you believe this.

You have based on your entire OP as it pertains to Penne on the fact that she used to fight at 105, which in your layman's brain means that she must be the physically smaller girl ... it does not.

In this case, Penne has a higher BMI than JJ, she carries more of her weight in fat, and therefore also carries more water = she has more water weight that she can lose than JJ.

Now if you had said "physically weaker" then your post might have some validity. More muscle does equal more strength, and the fact that Penne has more body fat and less muscle than JJ is Penne's fault. If she would train like an athlete she would develop more muscle mass. Go check out Penne's training vids, and then watch Joanna's .. night and day difference.

So this is not about "size" as you defined it, it is about strength. JJ earned hers, Penne can do the same. Next ...

I disagree. BMI is a math equation using your height and weight.
Formula: BMI = weight / [height]2
It is very inaccurate in calculating the amount of fat on your body. If you are big boned you will have a bad BMI that claims you are overweight regardless of the actual amount of fat on your body.

I disagree. BMI is a math equation using your height and weight.
Formula: BMI = weight / [height]2
It is very inaccurate in calculating the amount of fat on your body. If you are big boned you will have a bad BMI that claims you are overweight regardless of the actual amount of fat on your body.

Big boned isn't a real thing. Fat people are fat because of fat.

Big boned isn't a real thing. Fat people are fat because of fat.

Not true. Some people are wider bodied than others. Daniel Cormier is a great example. Cormier is very wide. He could be fat or not fat but his frame is still physically bigger and heavier than many people who are the same height. According to BMI a guy with a skinny frame will be in better shape than Cormier even though the smaller framed guy may have the same weight of fat as Cormier.

EDIT* Just because someone is a male, it doesn't mean they have the same bone size. DNA differences do exist on skeletons too.

I'm just going to hope that TS is mocking those retarded Jones threads that used to be common.

Not true. Some people are wider bodied than others. Daniel Cormier is a great example. Cormier is very wide. He could be fat or not fat but his frame is still physically bigger and heavier than many people who are the same height. According to BMI a guy with a skinny frame will be in better shape than Cormier even though the smaller framed guy may have the same weight of fat as Cormier

Then say frame size, girth, etc. Big boned is an excuse fat people use to not feel bad about being fatties.

did you not watch the fights? size had very little do with anything.. pure technique or lack of from esparza and penne.

Find another topic to spin in favor of your agenda driven perspective. You are not a woman said:
1. im not complaining about the pronoun disagreement, i will leave that ambiguity as is.

2. you can tell a poster's gender? please teach me how.

3. one needs to be a woman to speak intelligently about a woman's bmi, size, etc?

ive seen it all on Sherdog, but never this before.

Sounds like you are a woman. i cordially invite you to feel free to form opinions on male fighters, and make intelligent statements about their physiology.

dont feel like your gender limits you to only opinions on female fighters.

(btw, i think the OP is silly.)

Yes she would. And I dont think she's much bigger just taller

Back