Would Joanna beat Carla and Penne if they were same size as her?

I love you!

tumblr_lrjg6aenzZ1qh0sb5o1_400.gif

This is not a good perspective. Should you be silent about any issues related to the strength or size of male fighters?

Human beings can understand one another, even those of different sexes. Women are obviously going to have more subjective experience related to female anatomy, but it isn't some sort of proprietary information that can't be knowledgeably discussed by males.

No, as a trained and certified health and fitness professional I can speak about those things as related to males as well, which is an exception.

My essential point is directed at the "lay person", which I have every reason to be believe the TS to be. Very often on this forum I read the opinions of men with regard to the female body, and 99% of them are off, if not flat out wrong. Height and weight do not tell the whole story, but many of you seem to think otherwise.

Lastly, the female perspective is unique because well, I birth and nurture both male and females bodies, you don't. And if you think that this particular fact does not give me an insight and understanding which you cannot have, you're wrong. Physiologically, the male body is simple "relative" to the complexities of my own.

And this is not to say that every female is an expert on the male body, which is untrue. Yet it is an advantage for those females who are aware they have it.

No JJ could not make atomweight because she has a lower BMI than Penne does, which is about fat vs muscle, not about size in frame/height.

You are basically admitting Joanna is the bigger fighter. Just because Roy Nelson is fat doesnt mean he is a natural HW. Switch some lights on.

Of course it works in reverse as well. If it is bullshit that Jones only wins because of his size/reach, it is likely to be bullshit when making the same claim about Joanna.

TS is the WMMA equivalent of those who claim Jones only wins due to size. Are you defending his position?

Where did I say Joanna wins only due to size? I didnt even said I personally would favour Esparza or Penne over Joanna if they were same size.

I made this thread because I knew people will get their jimmies rustled and start to act like Joanna`s size advantage had NOTHING to do with her dominance over Esparza and Penne. Which is silly, because the only reason they say so is because they just happen to like Joanna and dislike especially Esparza. I like to expose people`s bias and double standards.

I like to expose people`s bias and double standards.

haha... what an ass you are.

But still...

Joanna is 5'6 with a 65" reach.
Penne is 5'5 with a 67" reach.
Moroz is 5'7 with a 65" reach.
Calderwood is 5'6 with a 65" reach.
Namajunas is 5'5 with a 65" reach.
Letourneu is 5'7 with a 68" reach.

And while all of them are on the larger side for the division in terms of length compared to your Esparza, Torres, Gadelha group... nothing about Joanna is exceptionally large for her division.

If Carla was a thinned out 5'6 wrestler she'd have probably gotten wrecked even worse because she doesn't have the skill to stand with Joanna and wouldn't have enough power to grapple with her. The size difference with Penne is negligible.

No, as a trained and certified health and fitness professional I can speak about those things as related to males as well, which is an exception.

My essential point is directed at the "lay person", which I have every reason to be believe the TS to be. Very often on this forum I read the opinions of men with regard to the female body, and 99% of them are off, if not flat out wrong. Height and weight do not tell the whole story, but many of you seem to think otherwise.

Lastly, the female perspective is unique because well, I birth and nurture both male and females bodies, you don't. And if you think that this particular fact does not give me an insight and understanding which you cannot have, you're wrong. Physiologically, the male body is simple "relative" to the complexities of my own.

And this is not to say that every female is an expert on the male body, which is untrue. Yet it is an advantage for those females who are aware they have it.

This is a completely different argument than that which I criticized. Why didn't you just say from the beginning, "You seem uneducated about the female body"? Because what you did say was crap, and I'm glad you have abandoned it as your basis for who should and shouldn't talk about female anatomy:

You are not a woman, and therefore you have no basis with which to speak about our bodies, their size, and muscle to fat composition.

carla-esparza-weigh-ins-185.jpg

How big factor do you think Joanna`s size advantage was against Esparza and Penne? Joanna is a former flyweight, while Penne came up from atomweight which would also be a better weightclass for Esparza.

There are always a lot of talk about champions size advantages over their opponents, but I havent really noticed any when it comes to Joanna. Any reason for that? I mean, when she faced a legit opponent of her size (Gadelha) she won a controversial decision. Joanna and Gadelha are bigger than almost everyone else in the division, and they also happen to be clear top2 in the division. Coincidence?

umm...no. Carla lost because she has amateur striking and couldnt get JJ down. Joanna has WAY better standup than Carla or Penne and they paid the price for not being able to get the takedown.

hell...speaking of people from Team Oyama, Ian McCall said he cut around 25lbs to fight against Mighty Mouse. the bigger person in the cage doesn't always win...Cain never weighed 265 and Lyoto came into a few of his LHW fights around 203.

Personally, I would like to see what a fresh Carla can do. You could tell going in that between TUF, the media tour that came after, fighting for the belt, than having to defend it only three months later, she was exhausted. People say Joanna beat her mentally, but it was the busy schedule that did her in.

Actually, Carla was still pretty active after the loss. She helped promote beat the streets, a wrestling tournament that helps inner city youth, and was doing seminars across the country. Was she making headlines, no, but she was hardly inactive, and was still doing a lot to promote the sport. Now she's out due to injury. Shoulder surgery.

Conor didnt do TUF but im thinking his media tour was much more exhausting than Carla's and he still managed to beat Mendes.

I made this thread because I knew people will get their jimmies rustled

Look at you trying to take the moral high ground of trolling as your defense.

Trying to rustle jimmies is also the aim of most of the trolls claiming Jonny only wins because of his reach. Your thread sucks as bad as a "Jones won't fight someone his own size" thread.

Look at you trying to take the moral high ground of trolling as your defense.

Trying to rustle jimmies is also the aim of most of the trolls claiming Jonny only wins because of his reach. Your thread sucks as bad as a "Jones won't fight someone his own size" thread.

I dont see any reason to try to "defend" this thread. And again you are implying that I claim Joanna wins ONLY because of her size, which is just not true. No need to get upset and use strawman arguments. I was just making an observation and asking people how they feel about it. The fact that people got so upset and started twisting my words (like you) only proved my point, there are a lot of bias and double standards here. Not that it is suprising in anyway.

Im out. Have a good day.

1307893075001.gif

This is a P4P thread in disguise.

perhaps, but surely it would have much more difficulty

I'm not sure how to answer the OP - hard to say. But, yes, JJ's size advantage was a very big part of her win. Long ago I claimed that the 125ers would take over the UFC SW division, and thus far, I have been proven correct (top SWs and inflated AWs Esparza, Aguilar and Penne get crushed despite their high ranking...and the 125ers continue to steamroll). It will be interesting to see what the SW Top 10 looks like a year or 18 months from now; I suspect there won't be many TUF alumni listed.

Jarl

I'm not sure how to answer the OP - hard to say. But, yes, JJ's size advantage was a very big part of her win. Long ago I claimed that the 125ers would take over the UFC SW division, and thus far, I have been proven correct (top SWs and inflated AWs Esparza, Aguilar and Penne get crushed despite their high ranking...and the 125ers continue to steamroll). It will be interesting to see what the SW Top 10 looks like a year or 18 months from now; I suspect there won't be many TUF alumni listed.

Jarl

her size was a very big part of her win? she is a striker by trade and Carla was a grappler. Carla should have been able to take her down...thats her thing, no?

are we ignoring the fact that Carla (and Penne to a lesser extent) was completely outclassed on the feet?

Micheal Chiesa is bigger than Chad Mendes...dont think that's disputable. you think Mendes couldnt take Chiesa down, just because he's smaller than him?

JJ could of finished both fighters even quicker (especially in the penne fight)

JJ beats 90% of the 135ers.

When there's a cage all around you, yes, height equals size. Do you even watch UFC bro?

Oh, so there is height classes now? Ok.

Shorter fighters benefit from being able to carry more muscle mass. JJ's arms are tiny, she was clearly at a strength disadvantage. Didn't stop her from stuffing Carla's poor attempts at wrestling.

Carla is terrible. That's why Joanna obliterated her. Nothing to do with 'size'.

her size was a very big part of her win? she is a striker by trade and Carla was a grappler. Carla should have been able to take her down...thats her thing, no?

are we ignoring the fact that Carla (and Penne to a lesser extent) was completely outclassed on the feet?

Micheal Chiesa is bigger than Chad Mendes...dont think that's disputable. you think Mendes couldnt take Chiesa down, just because he's smaller than him?

How about Cowboy and Jon Jones? One of the lead ups to a Jones fight showed Cowboy taking him down and Jon commenting on it.

How about Cowboy and Jon Jones? One of the lead ups to a Jones fight showed Cowboy taking him down and Jon commenting on it.

well, thats why i dont get the argument about JJ being taller (she's not thicker) helping her TDD. look at most wrestlers and theyre not guys like Stefan Struve.

never seen the Cowboy/Jones one...gonna have to look that up.

Not impressed with Carla or penne at all. Idk how they have any fans

Back