Would a win over Derrick Lewis carry the same weight as a win over Francis?

Ok, so if jones moves up to fight Lewis for less money when he passed on francis and stipe for more money, that just supports my point even more
This is where we're not connecting. Jones vs Ngannou or Stipe is a mega fight. Jones vs Lewis is not, and Jones knows this. He prob would settle for slightly less to fight Lewis because it's not going sell anywhere near what Jones vs Ngannou would.

I think Lewis would be more hyped than he is if his physique looked like Ngannou and he had a more serious personality

I agree but honestly it has also to do with his very limited skillset and inconsistent performances. They guy has 7 losses. Prior to his current KO streak he lost to DC (no shame in that but the fight was not competitive at all), then was TKO-ed by JDS, got gifted against Ivanov and barely got past Latifi.

Ngannou has arguably only lost to Stipe in the UFC and all his wins are as clean and uncontroversial as it can get.

im sick or people treatin francis like a holographic pokemon card and brushing lewis off to the side

Jon winning the HW belt and becoming a 2 division champ and making history is all that counts. Doesn't really matter against who. And Lewis losing to DC doesn't really mean that much coz fighters can improve, and it's all MMA math in the end. (Lewis>Ngannou>Stipe>DC)
Jones fighting Lewis instead of Francis now is some chicken shit and he should rightfully be called out on it. Jones fighting Lewis would mean all that money talk he's doing now was all a smoke screen to wait for a more favorable matchup.

Jones beating Lewis would absolutely not have the same significance as beating Francis now.

Jones fighting Lewis instead of Francis now is some chicken shit and he should rightfully be called out on it. Jones fighting Lewis would mean all that money talk he's doing now was all a smoke screen to wait for a more favorable matchup.

Jones beating Lewis would absolutely not have the same significance as beating Francis now.

Yah fair enough. But suppose Ngannou vs Lewis 2 gets booked, which is prolly is more likely imo, and Lewis beats Ngannou again, Jon has no choice but to fight Lewis for the title as Ngannou's stock will go down. I really hope Jon gets the deal and gets paid though so we can get to see him vs Ngannou

Yah fair enough. But suppose Ngannou vs Lewis 2 gets booked, which is prolly is more likely imo, and Lewis beats Ngannou again, Jon has no choice but to fight Lewis for the title as Ngannou's stock will go down. I really hope Jon gets the deal and gets paid though so we can get to see him vs Ngannou
Hard to argue that.

Reactions: Gio
I think it’s almost general consensus that if Jon beats Francis for the HW title he would be the GOAT. If Lewis vs Ngannou happens and Lewis somehow beats Francis again, it would kind of spoil Jon’s plans of cementing a great legacy. Lewis was easily beaten by DC and it’s obvious DC is an inferior fighter to Jon... just wouldn’t be the same.

Nah mate it would just bring Francis down to Lewis' level. People know Lewis is a heavy handed gatekeeper with a propensity for the Hail Mary game changer. But the perception is that Francis is truly the business. But if Francis loses to Lewis, he'll just be another ordinary HW with a big punch.

Some will try...but hard to discredit beating a guy that bested Ngannou twice.

Styles make fights though. Francis is an explosive one shot stone cold killer who lost two rather boring decisions at one point, then screwed his head back on straight and proceeded to spark everyone, including Stipe. Lewis loses almost every round if he doesn’t get a big KO shot, and lost his previous title shot to Cormier, who Jon beat twice.

Fairly or unfairly, there will be far less electricity in the build-up if it’s Jon vs Beast instead of Jon vs Francis, who at that point will begin to look not only unbeatable but a serious threat to put Jones in the hospital. If Jones defuses that bomb it’ll be a massive, massive stamp on his GOAT case. Beating Lewis by point fighting simply won’t have the same impact since we’ve lots of guys win lots of exchanges against him.

It’ll help if Lewis looks terrific and knocks FN cold, but either way it’s not quite the same to beat a brand new champ who hasn’t gotten nearly the buzz over the past five years. Just like it would be more prestigious for someone to go beat Usman right now than it would have been to go beat Burns in his first defense had Burns been able to get the upset. Similarly, if GSP had come back and beat Rockhold it would have been a bigger deal than beating Bisping. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that.

I agree but honestly it has also to do with his very limited skillset and inconsistent performances. They guy has 7 losses. Prior to his current KO streak he lost to DC (no shame in that but the fight was not competitive at all), then was TKO-ed by JDS, got gifted against Ivanov and barely got past Latifi.

Ngannou has arguably only lost to Stipe in the UFC and all his wins are as clean and uncontroversial as it can get.
Arguably only lost to Stipe when he lost to Lewis {<hhh]

If Lewis somehow fluke won against Francis Jones would lower that 50 million to about 3 million lmao

Y'all act like Jon getting the HW belt makes him GOAT. Citing the whole champ champ shit. But.....Randy already did that. So it's not as special as some of you apparently think....
GettyImages-102531674.jpg
rc.jpg

Back