Woodley and GSP’s top 3 wins

1. Shields subbed Robbie.
2. Gastelum lost to Magny later that same year. Yet he's beating Shields? Please stop.
3. Robbie was a great win for Woodley. But let's not forget that most people agree that Robbie lost to Condit (whom GSP also beat handily).
4. BJ is a LW and doesn't belong in this discussion.

Side note: it's always funny how new fans try to undermine great fighters after they retire. Let's not pretend that Hughes wasn't the unanimous WW GOAT when GSP beat him. Even now, it's safe to say Hughes is the #2 WW GOAT. Woodley is a great fighter and is clearly a top 5 WW GOAT at this point, but there's no need to inflate his resume. He has four title defenses; two of them are hotly disputed, one was against a one-dimensional grappler who's lost three in a row, and one was against an up-and-comer who didn't even deserve a title shot.

Till and Hardy cancel each other out when comparing their resumes.

I had Woodley losing two of the four fights you listed and getting a draw In the other.

Woodley also got iced pretty good by Nate and Rory and never got revenge, GSP has beaten every single man he has been I the cage with and is a two division champ.

Woodley
  1. Thompson majority draw (should be two wins, beat the shit out of Wonderboy in both fights and took no damage)
  2. Gastelum Split decision
  3. Lawler KO

GSP

1. Matt Hughes x2 TKO,SUB (lost once also)
  2. Jake Shields UD (48-47 close fight)
  3. BJ Penn x2 split Decision, TKO *undersized LW and eventual FW* 16-12 record
I think if you matched up those top 3 wins with the same number, all 3 of Woodleys wins would finish GSP’s top 3. Yes I know Shields tapped Lawler, but Shields would get KTFO by Gas. Prime for prime I think Woodley’s competition was tougher. What do you think?
Seems like you have some sort of weird agenda with all your posts. Devalue GSP and Cormier while building up Jones, Silva and Woodley. Strange.

Last edited:
Prime KOS beats Tyron. He had better wrestling, similar power and a much better gas tank.

Fucking TUF noobs even know this.
Not sure if you realize this but TUF noobs are a decade plus deep into their careers. Many are even long retired.

I had Woodley losing two of the four fights you listed and getting a draw In the other.

Woodley also got iced pretty good by Nate and Rory and never got revenge, GSP has beaten every single man he has been I the cage with and is the only true Simultaneous two division champ.
FTFY
GSP won both of his titles and earned his title shots in the cage. Last fight at WW defended his title and next fight won the MW title.

Chad Mendes was not even top 10 P4P going in to his fight with Conor according to Sherdog. What rankings are you referring to?
http://www.sherdog.com/news/rankings/Sherdogcoms-PoundforPound-Top-10-87657

Beating a fighter like Max who is years away and a dozen fights away from climbing to P4P greatness is not the same. Luciano Azevedo's win over Aldo is not = to Conor's win over Aldo. Dennis Hallman's wins over Matt Hughes are not = GSP's wins over Matt Hughes.
Yeah Mendes was

And beating the #1 p4p in Aldo >>>>>>any win Woodley or Gsp has ever had.

Also Conor has had a better career then Holloway too...Conor is the better fighter...and he absolutely dominated Holloway when he himself was a young prospect...

People ignore how Holloway was Conor's 2nd UFC at the time and how Conor was only 3 years older. Holloway actually had more UFC experinece then Conor at the time

Slow your role

Last edited:
No he tried claiming Chad Mendes but that's not even close to reality. Maybe he mean Marcus Brimage? LOL
Mendes was top 5 p4p

Since when did sherdog rankings become the be-all-end-all?

You are straight up a hater. I love Gsp too but dang you are awful.

Last edited:
Jon Fitch was an amazing win at the time. If GSP were never born then Fitch would have been champ, no doubt.

Thiago Alves in his prime on all those roids was an absolute monster as well, massive stopping power and damn hard to control. Then you have Shields, who not only beat Lawler but Woodley (albeit not in the most exciting fashion).

Shields is the kind of guy who you'd look at his skillet set and think he was getting knocked out, but his awkward "k1 Shields" striking would somehow hold up and he would grapple and decision monsters like Hendo.

Wonderboy, Lawler and Gastelum are great wins, but the Gastelum fight was really close and the Wonderboy fights were tight too. GSP might have stopped getting finishes but he absolutely manhandled rank 2 guys in Fitch and Alves from start to finish.

A lot of people are saying that older fans are over valuing GSP's wins but I honestly think it's the opposite. Just because these guys aren't relevant today doesn't mean they weren't incredible fighters in their prime.
<This7>

These boomers will never give Woodley his credit because they are fooled by nostalgia. The fact is that the fighters of today are on a completely different level than the fighters of old. This isnt GSP's fault but simply the nature of the sport, the game evolves very quickly.

And yet Lawler is among those counted and he has not changed much. Just saying it doesn't make it true. Shields beat trt Hendo and I would put a prime Alves or Fitch against some of those guys no sweat. I think Woodleys competition is legit but why do people feel the need to shit on GSP's opponents just to make their boy look good. People act like the sport has evolved so much in just a few years but I am not seeing this huge increase in skill.

Fitch was overrated. Suspect gurappling defense and pillow fists/horrible sturiking. Kos wouldve beat him if they didnt have the AKA thing. Pierce arguably beat Fitch and nearly KTFO him. Outside of Pierce, Diego and Alves were the only good WWs Fitch beat in that span. He was mostly beating bums or mediocre fighters

I love how guys call fighters like that mediocre. Fucking cracks me up. Even the lower level guys in the ufc are show stoppers compared to guys on the regional circuit who would stomp a mudhole in your ass while shitfaced wearing a blindfold.

People have no concept of how skilled a lot of these people are.

Mendes was top 5 p4p

Since when did sherdog rankings become the be-all-end-all?

You are straight up a hater. I love Gsp too but hateful obnoxious Gsp fanboys like you always tempt me to switch sides.

You would really switch sides over disagreeing with someones fan?

Woodley
  1. Thompson majority draw (should be two wins, beat the shit out of Wonderboy in both fights and took no damage)
  2. Gastelum Split decision
  3. Lawler KO

GSP

1. Matt Hughes x2 TKO,SUB (lost once also)
  2. Jake Shields UD (48-47 close fight)
  3. BJ Penn x2 split Decision, TKO *undersized LW and eventual FW* 16-12 record
I think if you matched up those top 3 wins with the same number, all 3 of Woodleys wins would finish GSP’s top 3. Yes I know Shields tapped Lawler, but Shields would get KTFO by Gas. Prime for prime I think Woodley’s competition was tougher. What do you think?

You realise Shields beat Woodley right? GSP is 26-2, 2x div champ, beat every man he faced and has 9 title defenses. Woodley is 19-3-1 (just record wise he can't compete) and GSP fought bigger/better names. Woodley has 3 title defenses (vs 9). It's not even in the same universe. GSP has the best resume in all of MMA by a landslide.

Woodley has a better resume than GSP.

The game has evolved and current WWs are much bigger and more well rounded.

See above, it's not even close.

The 2 fighters that would end the argument ducked Woodley. Hendricks and GSP.

GSP with a much better resume.

Also: Prime Fitch bring Wonderboy down with his wrestling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back