Woodley and GSP’s top 3 wins

Woodley
  1. Thompson majority decision (should be two wins, beat the shit out of Wonderboy in both fights and took no damage)
  2. Gastelum Split decision
  3. Lawler KO

GSP

1. Matt Hughes x2 TKO,SUB (lost once also)
  2. Jake Shields UD (48-47 close fight)
  3. BJ Penn x2 split Decision, TKO *undersized LW and eventual FW* 16-12 record
I think if you matched up those top 3 wins with the same number, all 3 of Woodleys wins would finish GSP’s top 3. Yes I know Shields tapped Lawler, but Shields would get KTFO by Gas. Prime for prime I think Woodley’s competition was tougher. What do you think?
Shields has beaten Woodley, Lawler, Condit, Maia, and Hendo.

These boomers will never give Woodley his credit because they are fooled by nostalgia. The fact is that the fighters of today are on a completely different level than the fighters of old. This isnt GSP's fault but simply the nature of the sport, the game evolves very quickly.
Past his prime shields beat Woodley

GSP is living in your head rent free.

<{gspressed}>

Woodley
  1. Thompson majority decision (should be two wins, beat the shit out of Wonderboy in both fights and took no damage)
  3. Lawler KO

GSP

I think if you matched up those top 3 wins with the same number, all 3 of Woodleys wins would finish GSP’s top 3. Yes I know Shields tapped Lawler, but Shields would get KTFO by Gas. Prime for prime I think Woodley’s competition was tougher. What do you think?

Woodley has a very long way to catch up to GSP.
If/when Woodley dominate for the years to come, he might surpass GSP. Until then, this is only wishful thinking from GSP haters or Woodley fans...(which amazingly were nowhere to be found until this week.)

Woodley's best wins:
1. Lawler KO
2. Till sub
3. Koscheck KO

GSP's best wins:
1. Hughes TKO
2. Koscheck 1 UD
3. Fitch UD

I think it's GSP by a hair, just because Koscheck wasn't in his prime when he fought Woodley. I think Woodley's KO of Lawler is more impressive than GSP's best win though

If Tyron knocks Colby out, he has a better top 3 than GSP

Not even close. The day Woodley takes the MW belt and also beats Rory, Marquardt and Jake i will reconsider my position on this topic.

Mendes was top 5 p4p

Since when did sherdog rankings become the be-all-end-all?

You are straight up a hater. I love Gsp too but hateful obnoxious Gsp fanboys like you always tempt me to switch sides.
So aside from the @PROlogic P4P rankings what ranking had Mendes top 5 ever? Are you confusing the FW rankings? I crank up the GSP defense to Ludicrous sometimes because I like to get an idea what it feels like to be a McGregor fanboy. The difference between GSP and Mcgregor is that Georges earned all his opportunities in the Octagon and not the Box Office.

I can entertain the possibility that Woodley's late opponents would beat some of GSPs wins. And a lot of people seem to put a lot of weight into the downslope of some fighters after their title shots. But when you look at GSP's fights in context, he has a far better resume that Woodley.

Bisping - UFC MW champion
Hendricks - would go on to become UFC WW champ
Nick Diaz - Strikeforce and WEC WW champ
Condit - interim UFC WW champ, WEC WW champ
Shields - win over Woodley, Strikeforce MW champ, EliteXC WW champ
Koscheck - never quite made it to the top, but with different luck he could have; I had him winning over Hendricks
Hardy - OK, I'll give you this one
Alves - was a monster at the time and was coming off beatdowns of Koscheck, Hughes and Parisyan
Penn - UFC LW and WW champ, won 5 or 6 title fights in UFC alone
Fitch - had won something like 16 in a row prior to fighting GSP, 8 in the UFC, would go on to become WSOF/PFL WW champ even late in his career
Serra - TUF winner and UFC WW champ
Hughes - UFC WW champ, won 9 title fights in UFC
Sherk - UFC LW champ and WW title contender

GSP has been the winner in something like 12 or 13 UFC title fights. I don't think Tyron has even had that many fights in the UFC yet.

Woodley has a better resume than GSP.

The game has evolved and current WWs are much bigger and more well rounded.

Sigh. Look at Woodley's. GSP and Hughes career more closely my friend. woodley is currently 3rd and he needs a LOT more defenses

Shields is the best win on GSPs cv by far. Shields is the 2nd best WW of all time and GSP beat him easily and predictably.

GSP is imo easily the best fighter ever, and I say that even though i found him frankly sleep inducing.

Tyron is a great fighter as well, but he will never dominate wrestlers like GSP did.

Woodley has a better resume than GSP.

The game has evolved and current WWs are much bigger and more well rounded.

There a reason why Gsp took some time off (4 years) in his prime.

He knew ww division was no longer made up of blown up lw n one dimentional fighters.

Woodley
  3. Lawler KO

GSP

Lol @ no damage. Also what's with all these GSP comparison threads & anti GSP threads lately? He had a stranglehold on the WW division for years and doesn't have any further obligation to the sport. There's no comparison at this point between him & Woodley.

Oh Jesus the Woodley activists are at it strong in this thread.

Woodley is definitely king of the WW division and he's going to smash any and all challengers because the division is paper thin and Rory was sent to Bellator, but GSP had the better record and was a funner champ. At least GSP was respectful and carried himself like a champ, not attacking other ethic groups and playing a victim card. Woodley is a champ for a niche segment of the population and good for him, but I'll never be a fan of his - although I am starting to enjoy his performances a bit more.

Woodley is a great champ and fighter no question.
But you have to put GSP's wins into context.
You can't judge them from 2018 standard.
It is GSP by far. In a few years Woodley might have caught up but at the moment its clearly GSP that has the better resume.

LOL at anyone in this thread calling Jon Fitch an amazing win....

Woodley
  3. Lawler KO

GSP

You type like your struggling to balance your helmet.

Back