Woodley and GSP’s top 3 wins

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Njmma209, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Njmma209 Banned Banned

Woodley
    1. Thompson majority decision (should be two wins, beat the shit out of Wonderboy in both fights and took no damage)
    2. Gastelum Split decision
    3. Lawler KO

GSP

1. Matt Hughes x2 TKO,SUB (lost once also)
    2. Jake Shields UD (48-47 close fight)
    3. BJ Penn x2 split Decision, TKO *undersized LW and eventual FW* 16-12 record
    I think if you matched up those top 3 wins with the same number, all 3 of Woodleys wins would finish GSP’s top 3. Yes I know Shields tapped Lawler, but Shields would get KTFO by Gas. Prime for prime I think Woodley’s competition was tougher. What do you think?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  2. Woodley has a better resume than GSP.

The game has evolved and current WWs are much bigger and more well rounded.

3. TheVenom Black Belt

I’m not so sure Kelvin takes a prime Shields. I find Shields insanely boring but his grappling is something else. Dude ate a couple of H Bombs from Hendo and kept truckin. Can’t ever count Shields out.

4. AyDeeDee Banned Banned

These boomers will never give Woodley his credit because they are fooled by nostalgia. The fact is that the fighters of today are on a completely different level than the fighters of old. This isnt GSP's fault but simply the nature of the sport, the game evolves very quickly.

5. Oj21 Purple Belt

Gsp definitely has the more impressive names there. Lawler should honestly be woodleys best win, he was a beast at the time and would probably beat all of Gsps wins.

6. Sweater of AV Gold Belt

Since it's at WW I'd put Nick, Hendricks, Fitch or Condit in there instead of BJ. Shields would beat Gastelum imho but I'm not sure I'd have Gastelum in there over Maia. Pretty solid top 3 for both. I'd go with

Thompson
    Gastelum/Maia
    Lawler

vs

Hughes
    Shields
    Diaz/Fitch

Pretty even but probably edge to GSP. Overall GSP's depth is far superior though.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  7. imbossing mma judging

Shields best lalwer

8. Soul On Ice Banned Banned

A Majority Draw is Tyron's "best win"?
    <Dylan>

9. Mohawk Banditó Brown Belt

Thread invalidated when you said should be 2 wins over Wonderboy. Also called the Shields fight "close." Ok, bud

The fight against Gas was incredibly close, despite Kelvin's weight troubles, and it wasn't even the Gas we know today. So you use a win over Baby-Gas to justify that Middleweight SuperGas beats the shit out of GSP's welterweight contenders? Get outta here with that shit.

10. Odoylerules4lyf The Salacious One

Jon Fitch was an amazing win at the time. If GSP were never born then Fitch would have been champ, no doubt.

Thiago Alves in his prime on all those roids was an absolute monster as well, massive stopping power and damn hard to control. Then you have Shields, who not only beat Lawler but Woodley (albeit not in the most exciting fashion).

Shields is the kind of guy who you'd look at his skillet set and think he was getting knocked out, but his awkward "k1 Shields" striking would somehow hold up and he would grapple and decision monsters like Hendo.

Wonderboy, Lawler and Gastelum are great wins, but the Gastelum fight was really close and the Wonderboy fights were tight too. GSP might have stopped getting finishes but he absolutely manhandled rank 2 guys in Fitch and Alves from start to finish.

A lot of people are saying that older fans are over valuing GSP's wins but I honestly think it's the opposite. Just because these guys aren't relevant today doesn't mean they weren't incredible fighters in their prime.

11. yookfarb Red Belt

<{gspressed}><{hughesimpress}>

and if you wanna talk to baby boomers you'll find them in the boxing subforum lmfao

12. ExitLUPin K

Shields, BJ and Ews were all in the top 10 P4P when GSP beat them......Wonderboy and especially Kelvin werent on that level. The Lawler win and specially with the fashion he did it, is the only win on his record thats on the level of GSPs best wins

13. dabouv Purple Belt

14. Ruthless_swag Banned Banned

what version of Lawler did shields beat though?

15. fortheo Steel Belt

Maia, a guy who was top ten for a decade across two divisions, is somehow a worse win than gastelum? Da fuck?

No love for Fitch Or Hendricks either?

Also, the answer is GSP.

16. koquerelle Silver Belt

For sure. That’s why guys like Maia, Couture, Lawler and A. Silva had short careers.

Moron.

17. Bluntforce420 Black Belt

Lol at GSP vs Shields being close

GSP cruised despite getting his eye gouged out. One judge correctly scored it 50-45

18. ExitLUPin K

Fitch was overrated. Suspect gurappling defense and pillow fists/horrible sturiking. Kos wouldve beat him if they didnt have the AKA thing. Pierce arguably beat Fitch and nearly KTFO him. Outside of Pierce, Diego and Alves were the only good WWs Fitch beat in that span. He was mostly beating bums or mediocre fighters

19. STRYDG Green Belt

What do I think?

I think people are allowed opinions but for fuck sake do we have to get the same style posts over and over nut hugging certain fighters?

To be fair you didnt bash either fighter but its same old trying to compare and GOAT posts are even worse. You can't compare a fighter of 15 years ago to one now. Even these guys are somewhat different eras.

20. dabouv Purple Belt

Hughes was the GOAT ww up until gsp. BJ was a beast when he fought GSP, his fights from Frankie on not so much. He fought machida. For Christ’s sakes. Alice’s was beating everyone pre gsp. Shield had recently beat hendomwhen he fought GSP. Oks looked pretty good too. GSP had the belt for 7 years minus the Serra fluke. Woodley may be up with Hughes but he needs a longer run to surpass gsp.