Will Smith vs Tom Cruise

Who is better?

• Total voters
Smith ruins movies you people voting for him are why we can't have good things.

Tom Cruise is gonna fuck this thread up. His career has been much better and far more varied.

Smith has had a handful of fun movies, and I used to really enjoy his performances, but like @odog said earlier his time has passed. The last time he made a movie that I was REALLY into was like 15 years ago.

The Cruiser has an amazing resume. So many classics

Not being racist but I haven't seen a lot of Will Smith. Seems like he stars primarily in Oscar Bait, my most hated genre. He was fun in MIB and Wild Wild West doe

inb4 this turns into a race thing. Seriously though, I voted it a tie. I think they're both equally talented as actors, but Cruise hands down has been in better films.

On another side note I really liked Vanilla Sky. A very underrated movie imo.

The Cruiser has an amazing resume. So many classics

Not being racist but I haven't seen a lot of Will Smith's key performances. Seems like he stars primarily in Oscar Bait, my most hated genre. He was fun in MIB and Wild Wild West doe
"Oscar bait"?

Bad Boys
Bad Boys 2
IRobot
I am Legend
Seven Pounds
Men in Black
Men in Black 2
Men in Black 3
Independence Day
Focus
Suicide Squad
Enemy of State
Wild Wild West
Hancock
Hitch
The Legend of Bagger Vance

He's made 2 Oscar bait films
Ali
Concussion
Pursuit of Happyness (Great movie)

inb4 this turns into a race thing. Seriously though, I voted it a tie. I think they're both equally talented as actors, but Cruise hands down has been in better films.

I liked Vanilla Sky a lot as well

"Oscar bait"?

Bad Boys
Bad Boys 2
IRobot
I am Legend
Seven Pounds
Men in Black
Men in Black 2
Men in Black 3
Independence Day
Focus
Suicide Squad
Enemy of State
Wild Wild West
Hancock
Hitch
The Legend of Bagger Vance

He's made 2 Oscar bait films
Ali
Concussion
Pursuit of Happyness (Great movie)

Fair enough bro. I wouldn't watch a lot of those flicks so I ignored them. I was thinking his noteworthy acting performances were Ali, Seven Pounds, Pursuit of Happyness and Concussion, and the last three I wouldn't watch if you put a knife to my throat. Maybe I should check out Ali

Fair enough bro. I wouldn't watch a lot of those flicks so I ignored them. I was thinking his noteworthy acting performances were Ali, Seven Pounds, Pursuit of Happyness and Concussion, and the last three I wouldn't watch if you put a knife to my throat. Maybe I should check out Ali
Pursuit of Happyness was great, and Seven Pounds wasn't Oscar bait, also an extremely good film. Ali and Concussion....meh

Come on now i like Will Smith but he is not in the same ball park as Tom Cruise. The movie A Few Good Men alone blasts any movie that will smith starred in.

Not being racist but I haven't seen a lot of Will Smith. Seems like he stars primarily in Oscar Bait, my most hated genre. He was fun in MIB and Wild Wild West doe

Not exactly. Most of his movies have been action-related in some way or a romantic comedy. Here's an interesting excerpt from this awesome article, which talks about how Will Smith chooses (or at least chose, the article is four years old now) many of his movie roles. He looks at trends and tries to follow them:

True story: When Smith was trapped on the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air set in the early ’90s, dreaming of starring in movies instead of selling Alfonso Ribeiro’s jokes, Smith and his manager, James Lassiter, studied a list of the top 10 grossing films ever. Here’s what Smith told Time Magazine in 2007: “We looked at (the list) and said, O.K., what are the patterns? We realized that 10 out of 10 had special effects. Nine out of 10 had special effects with creatures. Eight out of 10 had special effects with creatures and a love story.”

Pretty shrewd. Smith established himself as bankable with 1994’s Bad Boys, then went right after that top-10 list, starring in 1996’s Independence Day and Men in Black one year later. Those two films grossed nearly $1.4 billion worldwide. Will Smith was right. In a perfect world, Smith would have used that success to create the career that we would have wanted him to have. You know, a little like how DiCaprio does it: go make a big-ass movie in which you get to be a movie star (Blood Diamond), then an action movie (Body of Lies), then an artsy one (Revolutionary Road), then a weird one (Shutter Island), then a super-ambitious one (Inception), and the whole time, you’re stretching yourself as an actor, working with talented directors and keeping your fans on their toes.

Will Smith had no interest in “stretching himself,” just printing money. After those alien movies, he spent the next 12 years running the Hollywood equivalent of Dean Smith’s “Four Corners” offense. He made an “action hero who gets framed and has to spend most of the movie sprinting” choice (Enemy of the State), another wacky science fiction choice (the excruciating Wild Wild West), a sappy period choice (Legend of Bagger Vance, also excruciating), then a calculated “I had to get in incredible shape for this biopic” choice (Ali, which should have been great but never got there, although I blame Michael Mann more than Smith). That was followed by Men in Black II and everything else above.

In that 2007 Time Magazine feature, he freely admitted to studying box office patterns much like Theo Epstein studies XFIP and BABIP, saying that he and Lassiter got together every Monday morning to look at “what happened last weekend, and what are the things that happened the last 10, 20, 30 weekends.”

Last edited by a moderator:

I watched that one for the first time a little while back. I agree it's pretty good.

Cameron Crowe is hit or miss, but he's put out some good shit, especially during the 90s.

Tom Cruise has been in better movies in my opinion.

I don't think I could hang out with Cruise but I love watching his movies. I respect him as an actor.

I don't think I could hang out with Cruise but I love watching his movies. I respect him as an actor.
I feel exactly the same as i can see being friends with someone like Will Smith. However, there is that IT factor that Tom Cruise has which is undeniable and very few people have.

Tom Cruise, because Will Smiff raised these things:
jaden-smith-1.jpg
willow-smith-cover-tout.jpg

tom cruise is in the better films but i dont particularly like him. I find Will Smith more relatable. Also Scientology is a poison.

i like them both, but gotta go with cruise on this one.

Back