Will a "Brawler" ever be champ again?

Nope. Those days are over.

It is all about athleticism and skill now, not aggressiveness.

The Shogun that won the belt wasn't a brawler, brawlers don't outpoint someone like Lyoto Machida.
The 2nd Machida fight showed how much he was a brawler and the fights after.
Not likely, but at some point can ever arrive dat gifted one with extraordinary athleticism, toughness, reflexes, natural balance, etc etc

But again not likely,specially because also the technical guys are ALSO naturally gifted too...

Said that must be said that "be champ" is'nt ever only about reach the status of being the legit contender, sometimes dana's bullshit marketing influence it

So if dat uber gifted brawler get protected and helped by the marketing machine, maybe is'nt impossible: fast run to the title shot, dangerous match ups avoided and so on
What if they had all the other skills.
I guess you didn't watch shogun last fight where he went for a heel hook :rolleyes:
I guess you missed where he tried to brawl with Gus as well.
Shogun wasn't a brawler.

He defeated Machida in the rematch with Boxing. And also in the eyes of many defeated Machida in the first fight with Muay Thai.
Boxing brawlers are called sluggers and Muay Thai fighters brawl as well dude.

I watch MMA to see martial artists defeat "brawlers" and meathead wrestlers.

edit: Shogun gets in wars and can revert to brawler status when he's gassed, but I don't consider him a brawler.

JDS is showing that "Sprawl and Brawl" is still viable at the highest level of MMA.

I would not categorize The Korean Zombie as a Brawler, as he has amazing submission skills. Sure he can brawl, but I don't consider him the "classic" brawler, like a Prime "Chocolate L".

JDS however is straight Sprawling and Brawling, just like prime Chuck did. I thought that style was dead and gone, yet, here we are. 2012 HW champion wins with pure boxing and his ability to not be taken down. It's really amazing, I hope he destroys Cain again.

Although JDS is not a true "Brawler" go in there and just wing it, like a Leonard Garcia, or Tank Abbott. He a very technical Boxer like Edgar. Great movement, timing, distance,counter-puncher ect. But if I was to say what style is his fighting...,? I'd have to say sprawl and brawl. Basically Keep the fight standing by stuffing Takedowns, and then use Superior striking to KO his opponents. I don't even think you could classify Nick Diaz as a "Brawler", since his boxing is technically sound, it's not really brawling.

Last edited:
So a Martial Artist can't be a brawler?

Well I literally just posted that Shogun (who I consider to be a martial artist) has brawler tendencies, but it really depends on how you define brawler.

I think of guys like Diego, Leben, and Lawler.

My last hope was Kimbo Slice lol

Maybe if Alvarez join the UFC he may be the one.

No, Brawlers are usually fighters who have no semblance of a game plan. Like Leonard Garcia.

Diaz is the closest contender to brawler status, but even he isn't a brawler. No mindless brawler will beat any of the current UFC champions, Rousey included.

A brawler could be champ if said brawler is well rounded and has skills at everything. And if said brawler is capable of using brawling in a smart way.

Well I literally just posted that Shogun (who I consider to be a martial artist) has brawler tendencies, but it really depends on how you define brawler.

I think of guys like Diego, Leben, and Lawler.
Diego has a nice ground game. And Leben subbed Sexyama

Leben, really???? Umm, Lombard haha

your actually saying you class lombard as a brawler? he knocks people out, sure. but just because you punch people doesnt mean your a brawler. when does lombard stand in the pocket with someone and slug it out wanderlei, leben, garcia or zombie style?

the zombie has the best chance for sure

You honestly believe Nick Diaz has a chance to beat GSP. Shake my head.

You don't believe he has a "chance" of any kind against a guy who got rocked badly in his last fight and nearly lost on the scorecards while standing with Shields. Before that GSP got TKOd by Matt Serra and last second arm bared by Hughes.

Gsp is number 2p4p for a reason but this is MMA kid.

You honestly believe Nick Diaz has a chance to beat GSP. Shake my head.

Shake it all you want sugar tits, he does have a chance. Somewhere in the 20-25% region is a reasonable estimate.

I think Diaz has a very acceptable chance. He is skilled in multiple areas. If he can improve on his wrestling weakness, his chances go up even more.

JDS is more of a brawler than true boxer

and Gus has a shot at the title

yes, THE NYBA is coming for the belt. War The Best Evah!

I don't believe so. Especially at UFC level.

Back