Will a "Brawler" ever be champ again?

JDS has really shown nothing but brawling in his fights.

No.

Technique, game planning, athleticism + well roundedness is what's needed these days (see Bendo, GSP, Jones).

You don't have to compete in boxing matches to know how to box. He has excellent combinations, good footwork, and overall good defense. His boxing is technically sound, especially considering he's only trained for a few years.

None of the above has he shown during fights. He does throw wild overhand rights though if that makes you feel better.

Chuck was the last "sprawl & brawler" i could think of as a champ. Besides his defensive wrestling to keep the fight standing Chuck just loved to throw and knock fools out.

Leben, really???? Umm, Lombard haha

Lombard will probably never be better than #3 I could be wrong but a guy who gets outboxed by Falaniko and loses to Boetsch will be champ? Come on... I mean anything can happen when AS leaves.

TS: I don't think a brawler will ever be champ again. It's too technical of a game these days and brawling is too risky.

JDS certainly isnt a boxer. He never boxed or kick boxed in a sanctioned event in his whole life neither amateur or professional. Sorry to bust your bubble.

What has that got to do with anything? Being a brawler has nothing to do with your background, it has to do with your style and technique. Anderson could have come from a cricket background, he still wouldn't be a brawler with his current skill set.

Dos Santos boxing is sloppy for ''only boxing'' standards. He has lots of power and a pretty good jab but i think he's a brawler with great chin and great tdd. Like Chuck was.

What has that got to do with anything? Being a brawler has nothing to do with your background, it has to do with your style and technique. Anderson could have come from a cricket background, he still wouldn't be a brawler with his current skill set.

Anderson's bjj is really good though. Also his kicks and knees are insane. Jds is nothing like Anderson, he rarely uses leg kicks or knees, he goes straight to punch and ko. Anderson is on another level.

Last edited:

What does Anderson have to do with the horrible technique of JDS? It is obvious that Anderson has good boxing,footwork and head movement...JDS does not have any of those things. He swings looping right hands like Chuck....but not anywhere near as fast.

Dos Santos boxing is sloppy for ''only boxing'' standards. He has lots of power and a pretty good jab but i think he's a brawler with great chin and great tdd. Like Chuck was.

Exactly!!! He has good power but lets not get it twisted as JDS is just a brawler by any sense of the word.

anderson isn't a brawler? his last fight he stood against the cage and let his opponent swing at his face and swung back, that's brawling to me.

You don't have to compete in boxing matches to know how to box. He has excellent combinations, good footwork, and overall good defense. His boxing is technically sound, especially considering he's only trained for a few years.

You dont have to compete in K1 to know how to kickbox...but that doesnt mean you are any good at it.

What does Anderson have to do with the horrible technique of JDS? It is obvious that Anderson has good boxing,footwork and head movement...JDS does not have any of those things. He swings looping right hands like Chuck....but not anywhere near as fast.

So you think JDS has poor technique? Compared to what, pro-boxers or other MMA fighters? What makes him a brawler?

Your definition of brawler seems to be anyone who doesn't strictly "stick and move" with quick pitter patter jabs and straights. So my answer would be yes.

Back