225x5
225x3
185x8
185x6

Military
95lbs 3x5

Chinups
3x6

-Notes-I can't keep maxing on the squats, did comp last night and that involves intense cardio, idk for now I just need to keep getting in the gym and hitting squats hard 1-2 times a week but not fret about hitting a increase everytime body can't take it.

P.M.

BJJ
-Worked back attacks
-Free rolls

Striking/conditioning
Bas Rutten Thai tape (on bag)
7 rounds x three minutes

-Strikes were def not 100 percent like Bas Rutten advocates, I tried throwing each pretty hard but cardio got in the way.

Last edited:
4/15/11
Friday

Competition Team/MMA

Some grappling to start with, then went on to boxing gloves and did some of that, nothing was to hard here, not much of a workout, VERY fatigued going into the gym though. Head trainer went out of his way to tell me my stand up looked good after watching me spar a bit, that was encouraging. I am just getting back into training and I really am ready to be consistent and hit that next level in my all around game, I want to stay in better shape, be a better grappler, have better striking, better wrestling just ready to learn and improve my game every way possible.

BJJ

A fellow gym member got his blue belt tonight so no real work here either, got one free roll in with him before his iron man, then one during his iron man other then that no real workout.

Striking/Conditioning

Bas Rutten thai boxing (shadowbox)
7 roundsx3 minutes used knees instead of kicks.

Notes-Totally digging the Bas Rutten workout now, it gets me cardio but it also gives me a chance to think on every punch, Hands up, elbows in, not shaking or anything before I throw my combos, turning every punch over, covering my chin with my shoulders, snapping my punch back as quick as I throw it, turning my hips, turning my foot over like I am putting out a cigarette, Making sure my back foot is on the ground as my punch connects, helping me with body movement and feeling each punch to work together, seriously I am a big fan of this, very happy to be able to implement it into my training.

Last edited:
4/16/11
Saturday

BJJ
2 Hours

Free rolls and stuff, went over a ezekiel from choke and back attacks, need to practice the ezekiel since i'm probably doing a GI Tourney wanna have a solid choke from mount at least to draw their arms up and look for arm bars/americana's etc.

Free rolls went good, hit a few good takedowns etc. sprawled well and didn't get taken down.

4/17/11
Sunday

1 hour BJJ
-Got triangled, don't do that.

MMA

went over some back control stuff, recycling hooks, arm bar, rnc, on the recycle hook can also stay on top instead of take back.

Set up 4 stations did one round at each
Bas Rutten boxing was three stations (one shadowboxing, rest bag) then a circuit of med ball slams, med ball squats and burpees -the pushup.

S&C
did a circuit after

75 lbs
Rowsx8
Upright rowsx8
Militaryx8
Good morningsx8
Lungex8
Front squat pushpressx8
Stiff legged deadliftsx8

4 times through, one minute rest.

4/11-4/17 Weekly goals:
-5 bjj, classes/free rolls-Success
-1-2 MMA/standup, classes/sparring-Success
-2 heavy lifting days-Fail
-3 Bas Rutten Tape workouts AT least one on the bag-Success
-1 LSD jogs-Fail
-Eat no desserts or treats, no chocolate, no ice cream etc.-Fail
-Stay Healthy-Success

NEW WEEKLY GOALS
4/18-4/24 weekly goals
-4 bjj classes/free rolls
-1-2 MMA/stand up classes
-3 Bas Rutten Tapes (At least one on bag)
-2 Separate S&C days
-1 LSD jog
-Watch first disk of Damien Maia's Jiu-Jitsu DVD.
-Stay Healthy

Last edited:
4/21/11
Thursday

BJJ-Like 10 minutes but I rolled with a 270 lb black belt all those ten minutes so I was oddly exhausted after.

Strength
Squats
205 3x4
175 for some reps

Bench
175 3x5

Chinups a bit

Conditioning
Bas Rutten Boxing tape
5 rounds on the bag
2 rounds more of a cool down, made sure my technique was on point during the last two rounds.

4/22/11

Basketball

Weather has been beautiful went out and played bball for like 3 hours

4/23/11
Saturday

Burpees
5 rounds 3 minutes a piece
Rd 1: 35
Rd 2: 30
Rd 3: 25
Rd 4: 26
Rd 5: 27

Total: 143

Then

Jogged up a mountain/hill thing not very hard, pace to slow, then stopped and did 3 sets of chins a set of pushups and then a few hill sprints on dirt.

Notes- This place I went to jog was awesome.... you can jog then there are paths shooting up you can sprint up etc, really I think to increase my MMA cardio sprinting up a hill then resting to recovery then up again and repeat, is a solid approach to getting in shape. Time the recovery period then I can measure the time in between hard sprints etc to measure improvement.

I'm also 87 percent sure I am going to start riding my bike to the gym which is about a 5 mile ride so 10 miles there and back, gas money is expensive and I am broke.

4/24/11
Sunday

MMA-
Taught for the most part, covered back escapes just real basic material, then did a few stand up things a feint jab to right hand, a low inside leg kick but using it more as a way to set up the right then actually do damage with the kick, then stepping in covering and shifting weight then firing the right hand.

3 rounds of sparring-Need to stay tighter

Bas Rutten workout
3 rounds shadowboxing
2 rounds on bag

Free rolls- Got caught in a sick guillotine, really tight and effective, really had no option to throw my arm over or defend.

Overall-good night of training.

Last weeks goals
4/18-4/24 weekly goals
-4 bjj classes/free rolls-Fail
-1-2 MMA/stand up classes-Fail
-3 Bas Rutten Tapes (At least one on bag)-Fail, did get one on bag and one not on bag
-2 Separate S&C days-Success
-1 LSD jog-Fail
-Watch first disk of Damien Maia's Jiu-Jitsu DVD.-Fail
-Stay Healthy-Success

As far as rolls go didn't really roll that much at all this week, no real mma classes, I did two days Bas Rutten both were a mix of bag work and shadowboxing, I got one day lifting and one day of burpees and some hill sprints for the SnC didn't get to watch any dvds or videos I wanted, also had two tests last week in school and that kind of took precedence over training, also the weather was nice so I ended up playing basketball and getting outside as much as I could, the sun isn't out all that often, gotta get it when it is!

Weekly Goals
4/25/11-5/1/11
-5 nights of BJJ rolls or classes
-2 separate days S&C
-2 Stand up and MMA classes
-1 sparring session
-3 bas rutten tapes at least one on bag
-1 day some kind of running-jogging, sprints, hill sprints etc.
-Keep water intake high
-Stay Healthy

Last edited:
4/27/11
Wednesday

Competition Team/MMA
6 kickboxing roundsx5 minutes
1 hour

-Went well, kicked one of our pro's legs out which dropped him kind of cool to me lol, overall I need to just keep improving on my stand up I can always keep my elbows in tighter, hands up higher, punches straighter, legs and hips pivoting, I think I made a little bit of a break through with my right hand this morning and using more shoulder in it, I was able to apply it tonight, so I am excited to build on this. Makes the punch longer

BJJ rounds
1 hour
Free rolls

-Not very good here

BJJ worked north south top position
1 hour
-Arm bars, Kimuras, neck crank, really harvest the arm up.

Last edited:
4/28/11
Thursday

A.M.

Went for a bike ride this morning looking for some eye screws to hang up some gymnast rings at the gym, idk how long, but it was pretty cool!

April Conditioning Challenge
5 chinups
10 bw squats
10 burpees
20 jumping jacks

x10 sets, 5 pullups, 10 bw squats, 4 burpees

-Harder than anticipated, but excited by the challenge, could def use this again in a future workout.

P.M

BJJ Free Rolls
1 hour

Good sweat going, one real scrambly roll.

BJJ class
1 hour
Arm bar from north south, suck the arm up get a deep bite under their arm pit if you have their left arm with your left arm deep in their left arm pit then put head on their right side/hip area and smash your weight down toward their left foot (to ensure they can't pull arm to the mat) then walk the legs up and get my (If attacking left arm) right foot on the right side of their head and left foot into their side against rib cage, pinch legs together and fall back into arm bar.

-Got in a good roll with a competitive blue belt we always have solid rolls and was able to finish it with this arm bar, going to try and keep hitting it in practice from top, like the sub a lot.

Pullups
Pyramid to 5

Then pyramid to 6.

With the chin ups in the am and the pullups post training, my arms and just body is very sore today.

Last edited:
4/29/11
Friday

Stand up
1 hour
-Sparred 4 or 5 rounds, then mit and bag work

BJJ
1 hour

Free Rolls

BJJ
1 hour
Reviewed the arm bar from north south I wrote about last post, want to make this kind of a go to move from top game, real slow, methodical arm bar, you know it's coming but you con't stop it, it's cool lol.

Stand up
Bas Rutten Boxing tape
5 rounds total

-emphasis on technique.

Notes-Sore as fuuuuu, time permitting (when I wake up) I am going to ride my bike to the gym tomorrow (10 mile ride total, there and back).

4/30/11
Saturday

Bike ride to gym (4.5-5 miles)

BJJ
3 hours

-Lots of cardio here, Some good tough rolls here, had a real competitive match def. got some cardio out of him and learned a bit, be aware of my arms when on bottom not letting them get to far from body and THE time when someone is passing my guard, before they settle in side I need to fight like hell go crazy and try and get guard back, this is NOT the time to rest, when they settle and get their grips then I can stop rest and start building my frames.

1) Arms tighter when escaping on bottom
2) When getting passed but before they have upperbody control or settle need to kick it into high gear and try and get guard back, when they settle is the time to rest and start building frames.

Bike ride home (4.5-5 miles)

Notes- This day kicked my butt, the bike ride was tough and the rolling was very strenuous.

Last edited:
5/1/11
Sunday

Bike ride to Gym (4-5 miles) 25 minutes

BJJ
1 hour
Free Rolls

MMA-taught, showed the arm bar from north south, then introduced some sparring work.

Bike ride home 23 minutes

Weekly Goals Recap and making new ones.

Weekly Goals
4/25/11-5/1/11
-5 nights of BJJ rolls or classes-Success
-2 separate days S&C-Fail
-2 Stand up and MMA classes-Success
-1 sparring session-Success
-3 bas rutten tapes at least one on bag-Fail
-1 day some kind of running-jogging, sprints, hill sprints etc.-Fail, but did introduce bike riding and that is 50 or so minutes of LSD when I do it.
-Keep water intake high-Success
-Stay Healthy-Success

5/8 successes, overall a good week of traning, got 5 nights of BJJ in 2 nights of MMA/Stand up and 2 nights of sparring, rode the bike twice which is about 50 minutes of LSD on top of training, and I didn't get hurt and stayed healthy.

Last edited:
NEW WEEKLY GOALS
5/2/11-5/8/11

-5 nights in the mma/bjj gym
-2 stand up/mma/sparring
-3 Bas Rutten Tapes
-2 S&C
-Use Gymnastic rings for at least one of the S&C's
-Ride to gym 4 out of 6 times
-Keep water intake high
-Stay healthy

Last edited:
5/2/11
Monday

4.5 mile bike ride to gym (25 minutes)

Kickboxing-worked some shoulder blocking, worked some GNP, worked a good take down, got some sparring in, really want to up my kicks I spent the last few years solely focused on boxing, always trying to improve my hands, but I want to give kicks more attention now.

Sparring went well, felt good throwing a superman punch then throwing a leg kick etc.

S&C

Pullups on gymnastic rings 1 then 2 then 3 then 4 then 5 then 5 then 4 n back down
Dips on Gymnastic rings 5x5
Pushups on rings 3 sets
Squats 135lbs 3x8

4.5 mile bike ride back home (23 minutes)

5/4/11
Wednesday

Bike ride 4.5 miles

MMA/comp team
6-7
-Worked some good stand up things I would like to work sitting lower in my chair and and slipping but stay tighter when I slip.

BJJ
7-8:30

-Last roll of the night I fucked up my back bad, so heaing that up right now.

Bike ride 4.5 miles

Notes-Mending my back, hurt realy bad was standing and ripping out of an omoplata and messed my back up it had some bruising where I hurt it, lahame, shouldn't have ven gotten in the plata but I was getting out lol, I just had to sacrifice my back for it.

Last edited:
5/6/11
Friday

A.M.
Cardio/stand up

Bas Rutten thai boxing workout
21 minutes

Then some upperbody

20 Regular Pushups
8 Chinups paust at rep 4

20 Narrow pushups
8 chins pause at 5 and 7

20 diamond pushups pause at 10 and 15
8 chins pause at 5 and 7

20 wide pushups
8 chins pause at 4 and 6

20 plyo pushups pauses all over the place
8 chins pauses all over

10 diamond 10 narrow 10 wide pushups
3 chins and 2 static hold chins

5/7/11
Saturday

Bas Rutten All around workout
28 minutes
-Assortment of shadow boxing, pushups, squat jumps, lunge jumps, neck, ab, bicep, mountain climber etc. work

Bas Rutten boxing
3x3 minute rounds

Either curled a 10 lb weight or held it out vertically in front of me to tire shoulders out.

Back is still jacked up so doing what I can for now, my upper back is super fried after this workout so i'm not sure why maybe I am to tense when I am throwing right now or something, extra tight muscles back there that I usually have never really felt from striking work at least for a long time idk.

Alright so I teach one day a week and I want to incorporate some of this for my class but also for personal improvement.

-Use the rope, work bob and weave, stepping when I do it, turning hips and shoulders when I slip
-Stay lower in my stance
-Footwork drills-some of these too (YouTube - Foot work / coordination drills)
-Jump rope more
-Want to become a better kicker
-Angles, angles, angles

I am going to get into a little technique routine for everynight I am in the gym, it can just be 20-30 minutes not for cardio or a workout but to increase some of my actual skills I am thinking about.

Some ideas I could pick from do at the end of the night or before a class since it shouldn't be to demanding.

2 roundsx3 minutes Bob and weave on rope-emphasis stepping and turning hips and shoulders over
Footwork drills few times through
10-slow and perfect form kicks then 5 fast and hard kicks (trying to maintain form) do it 10 times each.
Wall drill work on keeping punches straight and long, turning them over keeping face covered, staying loose
Throw a 1-2 slow, throw a 1-2 fast etc.
2 wrestling shots slow, one fast
Slow sit out, fast sit out.

-Just something like that, again the purpose is to skill build, not work my cardio, or timing just up my technique, won't even do it for a workout just to try and improve.

Also when shadow boxing or doing Bas Rutten from now on I need to throw the combo cut an angle follow up punch/punches, almost everytime.

Last edited:
Back