Placed 2 and 3 in a hand full of BJJ tourney, a 1st would be cool lol
6'1 195

Current best lifts (week 6 of Starting Strength):
Bench:210 3x5
Squat: 235 3x4
Deadlifts: 305x5
Powerclean: 175 5x3
Military: 130 3x5

Think 1,000 lb total might be my goal right now but I also have a tiny urge to compete more in MMA/bjj and I also have a tiny urge to do a triathlon so yea, basically a bigger clusterfuck of goals with the main one being get my college degree.

Old Journal, you can see how I trained for my MMA match here:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f49/blue-purple-follow-journey-fluffer-quests-09-log-888793/

My biggest thing is going to be NOT OVERTRAINING and NOT GETTING HURT!

Last edited:
Week
6/28 to 7/4

7/28/10
Monday

BJJ
Worked on bottom quarters positions
-Stepping over leg for the takedown
-Getting in deep on guy on top and just sitting up
-Rolling to guard

Boxing
Mainly a technique and cardio class

7/29/10
Tuesday

Boxing
Hard Sparring rounds 4 or 5
Technique

BJJ
It's quarters bottom guy week at the gym so worked more techniques from there, also defending collar chokes from there

7/30/10
Wednesday

Lifting

Pullups x8 x6 x5
Box jumps holding 15 lb dumbbells on 36 inch box 5x3
Bench 205x3
Dbell bench 45's 2x15
GHR's 45 lb plate 3x8
Chin Ups x8 x7 x5
Skull Crushers 80lbs 3x8
Curls 35 lbs 1x10

Last edited:
7/1/10
Thursday

Burpees (5 rounds 3 minute rounds 1 minute rest) (these jumps were meh but I did make sure to get my feet off the ground on everyone)

Burpees
Round 1- 35
Round 2- 31
Round 3- 30
Round 4- 25
Round 5- 27
Total 148

-Like I said that jumps were sometimes high and sometimes just leaving the ground..... Should I be resting until I can jump my heighest? Cause I usually just crank em out and whatever I jump even like 3-5 inches I count is this wrong or right?

7/2/10
Friday

BJJ
Worked Quarters bottom guy
If your on bottom side control and they have both arms on the inside, running man escape, get to quarters look for grabbing the leg or ankle and tripping into the takedown. Also if in GI and you can't get that you stiff arm their far leg stand up and circle backwards for a takedown

Just worked the bag for a bit maybe 20 minutes, kicks and hands for some cardio.

Last edited:
8/4/10
Sunday

BJJ
Rolled for an hour or so.

Weekly wrap up
7/28-8/4 (mon-sun)
BJJ: 4
Boxing:3
S&C: 2

Last edited:
New Week
8/5/10-8/11/10

8/5/10
Monday

30 pullups between 5 sets

4 rounds (3 minute rounds)
30 seconds burpees (or 8 burpees whichever came first)
30 seconds shadow boxing

-Good workout really liked that burpees was tiring then the shadowboxing was nice and a challenge to keep hands up and move and throw combos really simulated a fight to me, good workout.

BJJ
3 hours
Worked mostly technique of quarters top position, we worked the front zone and side zone, mainly in front zone I want to get the chin strap keep elbows in tight and close to body and then the knot of my belt or groin lower stomach area on the top of their head and use hips to keep down, also the basket choke from there. Side zone was just opening the side door by grabbing opposite arm under chin putting knee in the side door, switching knees in the side door and putting the knee that was in side door over the back then taking the knee in side door running it parallel with their legs on that side then chopping to roll them so you on your back and take back control.
Also get a few good free rolls in.

7/7/10
Wednesday

Competition Team
One of our blackbelts who is a worldclass MMA instructor is in town from the UK and teaching our comp team for a while.
First he had us do a very sick warm up then we worked some boxing, then some ground work against the cage, and then some anti-clinch against the cage. Then a few 5 minute rounds of MMA.

Points-
when on top and opponents head is against cage always push their head and make them look away or out the cage or sideways.
When anti-clinching just keep elbows in tight to body and forearms on opponents when they pummel and you reestablish the anti clinch look to strike, via punches and elbows.

BJJ
We worked back control, and killing an arm and finishing with the kind of choke Fedor got Sylvia with, one cool thing to remember is to make spacewith your own shoulder by pushing their shoulder forward and grabbing it with hand thats going across neck, then take free hand and out your forearm almost running down their spine and connect hands and finish choke.

Last edited:
7/8/10
Thursday

Burpees- 5 rounds 3 minute rounds

Round 1: 40
Round 2: 32
Round 3: 28
Round 4: 26
Round 5: 24

Total: 150

Notes-Actually thought all these were good form

20 total pullups-Did these after the workout and after swimming and being in the sun, hard as fuck lol broke them up into multiple sets.

Training tonight is up in the air I have a math test tomorrow so I need to either study for that all day or take a little break and then at least hit comp team then back at it, however knowing myself if I do comp team or train at all I will feel justified to not do anything for the rest of the night resulting in no studying, we'll see.

Is this log title a reference to Charlie Kelly?

Taked baby meet at later bar night or day sometime.......

Upon reading this response months later this was not clear, yes, yes it is. WILDCARD!

:D

How's training been?

Last edited:
7/9/10
Friday

BW: 195

30 minute run 3.10 miles
Weights upperbody, light higher reps, body was feeling pretty beat up.

Weekly wrap up

7/5/10-7/11/10

3 S&C
2 BJJ
1 Comp Team (mma)

Total time skill training (BJJ, boxing, mma) 6 hours

Notes: Not enough time training my sport but I had a math test this last weekend which took priority over training and I got a B on that test so the effort was worth it, need to up the skill training this upcoming week.

Last edited:
7/12/10
Monday

3 hours

BJJ
Worked on back escapes

Boxing
Mostly technique and conditioning

5 sets of pullups through an hour or so.

Notes: Very tired tonight dragged, not going to do much extra try and keep tonight to technique work.

Last edited:
7/13/10
Tuesday

Boxing
3 hours

Worked some fundamentals, workin with a new coach two days a week, we focused on me staying in my chair and cutting small angles, main thing is to stay in my chair.

Then I taught a boxing class.

S&C
5 rounds of 30 seconds burpees 30 seconds hitting the bag
the first two or three rounds I did a few up and downs with a jump (burpee with no pushup) but mostly did burpees.

Throughout the day, in the AM I did 3 sets of pullups then in the PM I did a ladder 1 to 5 then back down to 1.

7/15
Thursday

Boxing and MMA
1 hour

-Good workout, good mma rounds, good one on one work with my new boxing coach.

7/16/10
Friday

A.M.
BJJ
1 hour
Free rolls and some backescapes and holding back and our instructor there to advise and answer questions.

In between this did 30 pullups (1-5 back down pyramid)

P.M.
1 hour
Met my buddy who has his 2nd pro fight in one week.

Did boxing I only got one round in though then did BJJ and we had a good long roll for like 30 minutes I ended up getting him with a darce. (more of a neck crank)

After that training I did
5 chinups
1 minute wall sit
x5 (30 total pull ups)

Pushups on a thing
Single leg squats for 2 sets then back to wall sits for last three
x5

Notes- Not a bad day the 30 pull ups 30 chinups felt cool, was hoping the PM session was going to be more intense otherwise I would have put in more work in the AM training.

Can't beleive I haven't check this log since your return.

good solid work in here. Finding a balance between real life and JJ is always rough

Can't beleive I haven't check this log since your return.

good solid work in here. Finding a balance between real life and JJ is always rough

Thanks man, yea I have noticed as I get older the complications training presents in day to day life, bummer but whaddya gonna do.

Sunday
7/18/10

Burpees 5 rounds 3 minute rounds
Round 1: 37
Round 2: 35
Round 3: 32
Round 4: 30
Round 5: 29

Total: 163

Notes- This is week 3 of doing the burpees workout and this is my best score so far by 13.

Last edited:
Weekly Wrap Up
7/12-7/18

S&C 3 times
BJJ: 3 times (2:30 n a half hours)
Boxing: 3 times (5 hours)

Total Skill Training time 7:30

Notes-Still not enough skill training want at least 10 hours a week.

Last edited:
7/19/10
Monday

BJJ
2 Hours

We worked on holding North South Top, three positions either hips under their arms or sitting out. If you get north South a good guy is going to tense up his posture like a boxing stance so you put your head on one side of their hips and on the mat and you put the opposite arm almost like a diaper check on the other side in an effort to immobilize their hips, I like this a lot cause it leaves one hand free to punch or w/e. Then you try and work so both of their arm are out and your arms are running along their sides. then you work to sit out on one side and control the arm in front of you.

Free Rolls- Rolled with a newer white belt then rolled with our instructor brown belt and I got arm barred the first roll then the second roll was a good competitive 10 or so minute roll I passed his guard and held side control for a bit, fought off a lot of his sub attempts but he ended up getting me with a triangle from his guard the second roll.

7/21/10
Wednesday

Competition Team
-A lot of technique, we worked a lot of leg kicks and combos like jab leg kick, 1-2 leg kick, 1-2-3 leg kicks, throw a jab fake a jab high throw a leg kick.

We also worked shootin in for that single, coming in snatching the leg up, then having your outside arm that wrapping in on the leg on top (so that hands knuckles faces the ceiling) so if they go to try and rip the grip it's pulling their leg up as well, the otherway grip allows for an easy peel.

Also when up and opponent is in guard and they have feet on hip, always have your hand on top of shins and look to hip in and strike from there, then putting hands on inside and getting inside their guard setting up on your toes and hitting, also throwing likes to the side and coming in the the right hand, a cool one was holding say the left leg then pushing the right leg and controlling the right and left leg with your left hand step your right leg forward and drop the knee into chest area and drop your back leg as well, then you have a low base and knee on chest of sorts and you can get some good hits in that position.

-We have a trainer from the UK in one of our blackbelts and a very passionate MMA coach (something our gym lacks right now, as our MMA coach is a little burnt on it if you ask me) it's great having him here and you can tell he is excited and wants to help us grow, and he works with a good amount of pros overseas so he is helping a lot!

Back