WILDCARD!!!! (BJJ, Stand up, MMA, S

1/16/11
Sunday

Weight pre workout

BJJ
Free Rolls

Got a bunch of good rolls in, took this purple belt down a bunch of time, but he OWNED me on the ground like owned, not sure what was up with that, well besides he is better then me lol.

S&C
-Just started 5/3/1 2 days a week, excited

Wave 1

Squat
125x5
145x5
165x5

Pullups
3 sets

pushups
3 sets

Tabata kettlebell swings
16 kgs-35 lbs
8 sets of 20 seconds on 10 seconds off.

Last edited:
Weekly summary:
Total training nights: 6
Boxing: 2
BJJ: 3
MMA: 1
S&C: 1

Misc technique remembered: MMA in guard GnP
When in opponents guard wrist control their right wrist with your right hand
Keep it on your right side (so their arm is going across their body
Get off your right knee and prop your right foot up on the ground (so knee is facing ceiling)
Then drop bombs with left hand.

Key points for open guard
-three points of contact
-Keeping feet in front of them when playing open guard (or at least one of them)
-Keeping knees up and tight close to stomach (kind of hard to write out, but don't just lay them straight)

Shortened version
-Try and hit scissor sweep
-If fails try and push their knee backwards with your bottom leg and still use scissor sweep motion with top
-If this fails you can transition to spider guard or post on hip and with bottom foot and use top leg to try for a triangle.

Longer version
Scissor sweep-
-When opponent is in your closed you control their left wrist with your right arm and you either have a collar tie grip or a grip up high on either side gi lapel with your left arm.

-Open close guard put left heel on mat push off and get your left knee at an angle across opponents chest (a variation I will explain later, also you have to find the right angle so they can not just push it aside or smash it down)

Take your right leg and rub it on the mat and you want to keep it as tight as possible and almost kick your (but scrape more than kick) opponents left legs out (with the back of your legs like calf area) as you use your hips and that knee across the chest to flip them over, all while holding onto the wrist control and the neck tie and or lapel.

If Scissor sweep fails-

-You still have control of their left wrist with your right arm, you also still have collar tie or lapel grip with your left arm.

-You try the scissor sweep it fails, so you keep your left shin across their chest but now you take your right leg and you kick their left knee out like push it down.

-When you are pushing the knee down you still make the scissor sweep motion with your left leg across the chest.

Say that doesn't even work

-So if your knee is across the chest, and their right arm is underneath that leg, you can post your right leg on their left hip and pivot to your left hip then slap your left leg over and lock up a triangle.

-Or you can take your right foot and put it in their left bicep (while you have wrist control) and play around in spider guard, look for a triangle or hang out then go back to the scissor sweep.

Also an open guard sweep
-If they are in your guard you have your left hand on their lapel and your right hand wrist control on their left.
-they stand
-you take left foot and put it in their hip
-Cut an angle so you are almost perpendicular while pulling their left arm out with your right but pulling like you'd pull a bow and arrow
-then swoop your right foot behind their left knee and take your right hand and cup their left heel (get pinky on the mat)
-Then push with your left foot, pull with right foot and hand.

Then when you follow up the sweep, pull your feet to your butt and push hips up and their leg.

Last edited:
1/18/10
Tuesday

Boxing
Went to boxing gym, we did calisthenics to warm up sets of pushups, abs, neck, jumping jacks, and mountain climbers stuff.

Sparred 4 rounds total but only two round were back to back.

Sparring went pretty good i'm comfortable fighting in 7 weeks, my cardio is off but it wasn't suuuuper off and I can increase it from here on.

After sparring, I met this guy who has YEARS of experience and we did about an hour of one on one mit work.

Things focused on.
-Always popping that jab, step in with jab, step out with jab then either fire a 2 or move left or right.
-When changing levels, change the level so drop down then do the roll, not both at one time
-When slipping rotate the shoulders
-Bring punches right back to face, snap back
-Movement when moving left to right always be in a position to punch.
-When boxing on the inside drop down with the guy and dig punches.
-Also worked on flowing combos so a 2 into a left hook into the body back to the two and just flowed and kept doing that.
-Turn punches all the way over.
-Keep elbow in front of body don't let it fall behind my back
-Make a frame of my face with my arms, with the left slightly ahead
-Parrying punches and punching off the parries hit the jab down throw the right, hit the right down you can jab or still through the right
-Also if I hit the jab to the head just change levels and hit to the body, DONT hit head then step in with jab to the body, if I just hit the head, the body will be there.
-Also throw jab to head dig the right to body etc.

things to think of when I shadowbox
-Stance and having my arms frame my face, left slightly ahead
-Step in with jab, then on step out pop a jab then throw a 2 or take steps to the left or to the right
-Change the levels then do the roll 2 motions, slipping and exaggerating the motion and comboing so slip the jab drop the level roll to the left, come up THEN hit a 3. or slip the right drop the level roll to the right come up THEN hit the two.
-Movement/always being in a position to punch, never off balance
-Always having one punch on face/bringing punches back to face quick
-Flowing combos (right hand, left to the body and just keep doing it no pause)
-Keep left arm in front of my body or resting on front of my body.

Notes:Feel pretty good really want to hit the flowing combos, fight is about 7 weeks out, gives me a solid six weeks to train, got some work to do but I know I can get the cardio up by then. Thinking about taking this fight at 178 instead of 170.

BASIC OPEN GUARD PASS GUARD - BJPENN.COM - UFC NEWS - MMA NEWS

Last edited:
1/19/10
Wednesday

MMA: Did a bunch of boxing with clinch and boxing with takedowns in an interval style and also did some interval burpees and clap pushups etc.

1/20/11
Thursday

A.M.
Spartan Stairs
(so tall can not see the top from bottom)
Run up the stairs then run down this hill thing then back up stairs x4
I quit to much I walked to much I pussied around to much.

My effort was shit I quit to much, need to do this until I can crank out 4 straight no rest.

P.M.
BJJ
Worked sit up open guard
Also did 50 kicks on the bag each leg.

Free rolled got smashed by this purple again, his games def. jumped I need to try and roll with him as much as I can, I need my game to keep developing.

If they are standing
-shots from there, roll up head inbetween their legs cup at the bottom of their heels pressure, I was hitting this on the lead leg like a low single shoulder above knee then hands around heel and apply pressure, feels like gonna hyper extend leg. If you can get both legs then head in between legs and cup both heels with both hands.

If you are sit up guard and they are on knees you cup a heel and push on their shoulder area like a push pull pressure. Hold onto heel when standing up.

If you are sit up guard and they are on knees you put left leg up (knee to ceiling) then take your left arm and wrap it around the back of their ankle then stand up and step to the left continuously also cut the hips so left hip is facing their head. Keep a hold on heel/foot.

-You are sitting down they are standing
Contol their right arm with your left arm then grab their right lapel with your right arm, then take left hand and post it out far to your left side then switch hips hard and put hips/butt out by your left arm and pull right arm that's holding right lapel down hard. This ones cool, but gotta be careful it's easy to make people face plant with this one though lol.

Fights official at 178 little worrisome not cutting to 170 I know I can make 170 but with day of weigh ins hopefully 178 let's me feel strong as I may not have to cut water weight for it and if I do it will be minimal.

Weight pre workout: 187
Weight post: 184

Last edited:
1/21/10
Friday

MMA
Comp team

3 minute mma roundsx6 (didn't go that hard first two round)

Then we did position so start in guard or in someone guard and go to submission with hits also worked knee ride. 3 minute round.
-in guard
-in my guard
-under knee ride
-On knee ride
(got triangled in opponents guard one time, not pleased with that, also he nullified my guard more then I am comfortable with)

Then went over triangles from open guard
U have double wrist control and both feet on their hips
-Push one arm down inbetween your legs and hit a triangle
-Thread your leg in between their arms and hit triangle from there.

we RARELY do static drills so this was out of the ordinary but we did 40 of these, pretty solid techniques.

Also quick note if in quarters never reach arm between their legs, circle the outside and do a step over for a takedown but do not get caught reaching between legs!

Then 30 minutes conditioning
20 seconds on 10 seconds off
(I'm not sure on time i'd guess 5-10 minute rounds)
Burpees (no pushup but a jump)
Clap pushups on knees
Core work
one legged sprawl so like a lunge position then explode into a flying knee.

Weight pre workout:185
Weight post workout:183

My weight is peeling off pretty easily, fight isn't until March 5th at this rate I might change n get a fight at 170 instead on 178, told my coach I would see what my weight is Sunday and let him know.

Last edited:
1/23/10
Sunday

A.M.
Stairs

Tall stairs 178 total I think

1/4 way up
1/2 way up
3/4 way up
all the way up

Tons of rest in between, to much rest

P.M.
Weight before: 189
After: 186

Free rolls about 6-7 rounds of 7 minutes each round, not especially hard not a very good workout, usually leave tonight drenched and tired but not so much tonight.

They got a match-up at 170 for me looks good, but apparently I weight 189 so idk bummed about that i'm sure it will come off just not good stepping on the scale and seeing that today.

1/24/11
Monday

Weight pre 188
Weight post: 184

Boxing
3 rounds jump rope
2 rounds mits
2 rounds boxing

bout 45 of mit work with trainer. (not to strenuous mit work)

Focusing on just getting the body mechanics down tight staying loose, staying comfortable so whenever I see an opening I am ready to turn my body and through the punch.

I really liked stepping in with the jab then sliding out to the right so in jab cut angle to right then either keep circling or throw a 2 after you attain that angle.

Also need to keep balance locked down tight and add head movement more also just staying loose and moving when boxing.

(Will updates with this with things focused on and what I need to be aware of but for the most part my body flow, footwork and staying balanced and 50/50 on feet.

Keeping my feet with me, and its ok to paw but fast from the outside but sinking that weight and throwing that hard combo, then cutting an angle. Always moving not just one two three two, step back and wait for him to return but 1,2,3,2 sharp angle 2, circle circle etc.

N HANDS UP

Last edited:
1/25/11
Tuesday

Boxing gym
Jump rope 3 rounds
Sparring 4 or 5 rounds
4 or 5 rounds on the bag

Weight before: 192 (WTF)

Then immediately post boxing

Ran 3.13 miles (slow pace like 34 minutes) 374 calories burned

1/26/2011
Wednesday

Weight pre workout: 185

MMA Comp Team

Um jogging and butt kickers and high knees and high skips for warm up
Then running and bear crawls around cones and jumping over bag
Then rounds of
25 seconds on 5 seconds off
On mits
on bag
on ball (gnp hip pressure stuff)
GnP on bag on floor
Thai kicks
few rounds of that

Then sparring with clinch for 25 on 5 seconds off, few rounds of that.

Then some get up drills, then cardio
25 on 5 off
Sprawl to jumps
Ab things
neck things
then stretching to cool down.

5 sets of chinups first set 8
5 sets of pushups

Last edited:
1/27/2011
Thursday

Boxing Gym

Conditioning
4x2 minute rounds of high knees, tuck jumps, burpees, pushups, jump squats

Rounds on bag
Sparring Rounds-gpt caught here stepped into a punch def. rung my bell msybe concussion I have no idea it was square on my nose and it didn't bleed so that was cool lol.

BJJ
Worked closed guard
-Breaking posture
-hip Bump sweep
-Pulling there left arm across your body (or right arm) and cutting angle to take back

Need to think of coupling this with the open guard series I wrote about in here.

S&C
5 rounds of 3 minutes 60's for rest
30 seconds burpees with pushup and jump
30 seconds hitting the bag hard

Weight post workout:183

Notes-Fights early march gotta get weight down

I am now teaching a BJJ class at my gym starting early feb!!!

Last edited:
1/28/11
Friday
Comp team

Weight pre workout: 185

Really terrible night, got fucking rocked for the second night in a row, nose is probably broken, I broke my left wrist this summer and now tonight it's fucking aching bad.

Really not so cool.

I have a day off tomorrow so maybe that will sort some shit out idk my nose is pretty bruised up, idk not looking to good. Whatever just bad night of training.

1/30/2011
Sunday

A.M.
Randy Coutore barbell complex

Bent rows x8
Upright rows x8
Military press x8
Good morning x8
Lunges x8 (each leg)
Squat push press x8
Deadlift x8

P.M.
BJJ rounds

Just got a few rolls in

Fights prob off, need to focus on school right now.

Last edited:
1/31/11
Monday

Jogging:
3 miles
hills and stares pretty easy pace.

2/1/11
Tuesday

BJJ
Opening Closed Guard

Techniques: Will write details learned here.

S&C
GSP upperbody day from site

standing push press
Chest Press
Lateral Raise
Tricep extension
Pushups
Dips

3 sets of that 90's for rest, missed dips on first set.

Notes: Feeling pretty down, really want to fight March 5th but I know I need to keep my focus on school, but it's eating at me really bad not fighting, sucks.

2/8/11
Monday/Tuesday

Bent rows x8
Upright rows x8
Military press x8
Good morning x8
Lunges x8 (each leg)
Squat push press x8
Deadlift x8

x5
1 min rest
70 lbs used

Did this workout at 3:20 am, schedule is all wacky, still bummed about not fighting, I know it's best off, but still hurts, they put me on the poster for the event too, so that just adds to the sting of not fighting lol.

Last edited:
2/10/11
Wednesday

Bent rows x8
Upright rows x8
Military press x8
Good morning x8
Lunges x8 (each leg)
Squat push press x8
Deadlift x8

x5
1 min rest
70 lbs used

2/14/11
Monday

BJJ
-Passing sit up guard (all week)

Today shooting in almost like a single, getting opposite underhook, knee over pass, also if keep head tucked under pass around

2/15/11
Wednesday

Competition Team
Sparring, Drills and conditioning

BJJ
Passing sit up guard
A bunch of ways that I want to elaborate on here eventually
You pass attacking
Feet, knees, or wrist, and wrist collar control also the shot way

Feet touch- right hand to their left knee then with your left hand pull their left ankle/leg across like a leg drag.

-Put right hand on their right ankle area, put your left arm deep on their back, switch hips and get past guard and get hip to hip with the hip switch

-Hand on ankles roll them to their back, Torreando pass, just flip them back then work around or pass left leg to your right hand (from your right hand) and pass)

-With wrist
-Wrist control just pin it to the mat, walk around to pas

-Left hand on their right gi sleeve, take right hand place on their right gi leg pants ankle area, Deadlift up bam side control.

-Margarito pass, left hand on their right sleeve, right hand on their right gi collar, pull towards you when they pull back drive into them pass your knee through their right side, put YOUR right arm on the far side underhook (under their left arm) MOST importantly when you are pushing the knee through, LEAD WITH YOUR HIPS.

Couple those with other passes, also i've been having good luck passing guard from standing lately *knocks on wood* lol

2/16/11
Thursday
Same idea as Wednesday a BJJ day

Randy Couture circuit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back