WILDCARD!!!! (BJJ, Stand up, MMA, S

2/18/11
Friday
Comp Team

2/20/11
Sunday
Taught my MMA class focusing on single leg and blast double, and then setting up your shots with punches, then mit work for cardio at the end 3x3 minute rounds.

Then after I did
10 mins jump rope
6 rounds on bag
Randy Couture circuit 65 lbs 5 or 6 sets do not recall

Really enjoying teaching.

Been doing the Randy Couture circuit WAYYY to much these days, mostly just due to ease, school was crazy for a bit, made it through mid terms with solid marks, not just have to finish strong, need to add some heavy lifting, and more bag work.

Last edited:
2/28/11
Monday

4x5 pullups-2 min rest

A1. Pushups-20 15 on last two sets
A2. Single leg deadlifts-10
rest-1 minute, repeat 5 times

2 min rest

B1. Working toward hand stand pushups-8
B2. Jumping lunges-8
Rest 1 minute, repeat 5 times

Notes: Was super sick all last week, still getting over it.

3/3/11
Thursday

Bodyweight workout

3/4/11
Friday
3 rounds of mit work

3/6/11
Sunday

did MMA rounds and 2 rounds of 3 minutes conditioning on boxing bag, kickboxing bag, gnp bag.

3/9/11
Tuesday

Rows
Upright rows
Military press
good morning
split squats
squats to push press
Deadlift

70 lbs on bar 8 reps on each exercise
5 sets

5x5 chinups
5x20 pushups

Last edited:
Went on a little hiatus and got hammered for two weeks, I lifted and jogged during it, but I did so as a bro so it's not worth logging.

3/27/11
Sunday

3 rounds of bag work

Squats
95x8
135x5
185x5
185x5
185x5

Bench
95x10
135x8
165x5
165x5
165x5

Weight pullups
15 lbs for 5
15 lbs for 3 then 2 bodyweight
15 lbs for 3 then 2 bodyweight

Notes-Weak as fuuuuuu, gotta start somewhere, i've put my ego away, time to just shut my mouth and train hard and get stronger in the weight room, do more cardio and progress in bjj/mma.

Shaaaaaane you're my hero! Great to see your log, it's awesome. You've got some really detailed notes and cool video links I need to check out.

Shaaaaaane you're my hero! Great to see your log, it's awesome. You've got some really detailed notes and cool video links I need to check out.

Haha sup brah! Yea the log I have linked at the beginning of this log, is the log I told you about at the gym! N thanks dude, check out some of the wrestling stuff, it's good stuff, we can start working it in more!

3/28/11
Monday

BJJ 2 hours

Class was quarters bottom, either rolling to guard or catching the leg, stepping around for the reversal/single leg.

-Had a good roll with a big strong blue who used to be a collegiate wrestler, his base has always troubled me immensely and I could never sweep him, but tonight I hit a hip bump sweep on him for probably the first time ever, progress lol.

Kickboxing 1 hour
Solid night of kickboxing, worked on leg kicks, did some light sparring, conditioning was an assortment of strikes 10 kicks each leg 20 straight hard punches etc we finished with 100 hooks fast and hard, good class.

The above got me interested in trying some kind of conditioning say
10 right kicks
10 1-2's
10 left kicks

2 times through or something to that effect, I also saw a similar idea on another log here and think it's a cool idea, I want to try it.

Last edited:
Weekly Training goals
3/28-4/3
-5 grappling classes
-2 stand up/mma classes
-3 days of shadowboxing for 10 minutes at least
-2 workouts on the bag/pads
-2 times Work straight punch drill against the wall 100 punches each arm
-2 times Stretch
-2 times lift heavy
-3 times extra conditioning be it jogging/sprint work/any cardio work

Notes- Will see if I can effectively manage this with my other obligations

Last edited:
3/29/11
Tuesday

A.M.
1 time around this big block I run, little over a mile and a half, just gotta get into the habit of working out regularly.

Last edited:
3/30/11
Wednesday
3 hour total

Intro BJJ Class 6-7
Focus on turtle/quarters bottom

7-8 Rounds
good rolls

8-9 BJJ Class
Focused on turtle/quarters bottom

3/31/11
Thursday

MMA-6:30-7:00
Came in late to this class jumped in
MMA rounds, light boxing, clinch, takedowns GnP.
-Takedowns and boxing felt good, but most these people don't really do takedowns or boxing so it's not so cool lol

BJJ 7-8:00
BJJ class focus on quarters bottom

Advanced BJJ Class 8:00-9:00
Quarters/tutle bottom

Learned some cool stuff from turtle bottom, I will write that out in a bit.

4/1/11
Friday

6-7:00
MMA rounds
-Lots of kickboxing little ground work

7-8:00
BJJ rolls
-need to work on side control fundamentals, keeping my weight back is the biggest thing get my weight to far over them

8-9:00
More rolls, was supposed to be a class but we just grappled instead.

4/2/11
Saturday

12:30-2:30
BJJ
Taught a class, focused on quarters bottom, how to get out, will write these down sooner then later

Then about 30 minutes of rounds, real tough roll at the beginning of the training session.

Right after training I went to

Lifting

Squat
95x8
135x5
195x5
195x5
195x5
3 min rest

Military
75x5
95x5
95x5
95x5

Power Clean
135x5
135x5

Notes-Well my squat went up from 10 lbs from my Sunday lift session which is good, gonna go for 205 for 3x5 the next time I lift, my bjj I think a big hole right now is keeping my weight right when holding side control, I am passing guard but not holding people down as well as I should be, keys are to keep weight off my knees and on toes and keep my chest pressure in the right spot.

Last edited:
-5 grappling classes-Success
-2 stand up/mma classes-Success
-3 days of shadowboxing for 10 minutes at least-Fail
-2 workouts on the bag/pads-Fail
-2 times Work straight punch drill against the wall 100 punches each arm-Fail
-2 times Stretch-Fail
-2 times lift heavy-Fail
-3 times extra conditioning be it jogging/sprint work/any cardio work-Fail

Notes whole lot of failing. hit 2 out of 8 goals

4/3/11
Sunday

Taught my mma class then rolled after, everyone was drinking, I was sober at the end of the night when I rolled with some of the drunker people and I fucked up my shoulder somehow, just playing around lol I think it was on one of my takedowns I had my arms to high or to far out idk.

So I missed the last 3 or so days of training due to it, at first I thought it was serious damage but it's healing up, at an alright pace.

Last edited:
4/7/10
Thursday

1 hour 30 minutes of BJJ

-Shoulder is pretty jacked but improving, not a great night of rolling, can't wait till this thing heals up then I will never get hurt, ever again! :wink:

Lifting

Squats
205x5
205x5
205x5
205x5
-Did 4 sets just cause idk.

Pushups (can't bench, shoulder)
4 or 5 sets

Curls for teh girls
3 sets

Notes-Really just want to get my squat weight up so was pumped I was able to hold the bar for the squat, it was killing my shoulder but it was nice to get the reps in, next time I lift will be 215 for 3x5.

Aw man that sucks about your shoulder. Hope it heals up quickly.

Thanks bud, it seems to be on the mend, i've been able to train just some discomfort so I know it's just hurt not injured, which is good.

4/9/11
Saturday

BJJ Class

Free Rolls, light technique

Last edited:
4/10/11
Sunday

A.M.

Squat
215x5
215x5
215x5

Bench
170x5
170x5
170x5

Chinups
in the 5 and 6 rep range, weakkkkk

Then I rolled a bit but literally like 5 minutes lol, same problem I have been having, finishes from top, which is ok though, position before submission, and I could still use work holding side control and mount.

P.M.

BJJ Free Rolls-Had some issues here, a fellow blue belt picked apart my guard, didn't finish and couldn't hold me in side but kept passing my guard, so just a note to see if this keeps happeneing, usually my guard is a stonger part of my game, but I have been trying to play top a lot more.

MMA
Tiny bit of stand up
Then bag work 3 rounds of bag stations-gnp bag, then two stand up bags and rotate.

Last edited:
New week
4/11-4/17 Weekly goals:
-5 bjj, classes/free rolls
-1-2 MMA/standup, classes/sparring
-2 heavy lifting days
-3 Bas Rutten Tape workouts AT least one on the bag
-1 LSD jogs
-Eat no desserts or treats, no chocolate, no ice cream etc.
-Stay Healthy

4/11/11
Monday

Bas Rutten Thai Boxing cd

7 roundsx3 minuets

Threw knees instead of kicks

Notes- Was a solid workout, on a bag/pads it would be ten times harder, also thinking about adding 16 ouncers for the weight or some of those heavy hand free weights to hold when I do this. Also adding in some burpees/jumps and knees to chest during the rest would really up the intensity. Also think this will help me a lot with my striking, you throw a lot of strikes in those 7 rounds it allowed me to focus on body positioning/keeping elbows in, punches straight, always having both feet on the ground when the strike lands, just basics, always having that back foot planted when throwing, this on a bag with thai kicks would be gadamn near impossible, can't wait, excited to have this workout!!!

Core work
Ab Wheel 50 reps

Crunches 30
Leg Lifts 10
Dolphins 10
two times through, circuit style

Last edited:
4/12/11
Tuesday

1 hour zumba

Notes- Went to a class with family member, hot teacher lol.

Counting this as a rest day, get MMA and BJJ in tomorrow.

4/13/11
Wednesday

6-7:30
Comp Team/MMA

Did some jits with hits and did some stand up and sparring with takedowns.

Conditioning etc

notes: I need to train harder

7:30-8:30
BJJ

Free rolls then worked some techniques from back.

Notes-Idk what's up i'm being lazy or something not performing well, my boxing felt alright just not my wrestling or bjj, a new dude signed up he seems like he's been around the game for a while and he's doing team so that's good, always good for more training partners. Overall I just need to work harder.

Last edited:
Back