Why pull guard when you can do this??

I also hate watching the beginning of bjj matches when they stand and play patty cake and then one just sits down. Get your grip and throw dammit:mad:

then go and watch Judo instead..

just another arrogant Judo fan that wants to prove that Judo is better than BJJ?

Not everyone's a troll there lechien. At least the question mark makes it seem like you're not being a douche.

I'm interested in using sacrifice throws but I just don't get enough time to practice them to be confident that I wouldn't just fall on my ass.

Not everyone's a troll there lechien. At least the question mark makes it seem like you're not being a douche.

I'm interested in using sacrifice throws but I just don't get enough time to practice them to be confident that I wouldn't just fall on my ass.

he could have started his thread better then instead of trolling.

You do not see BJJ guys starting thread about the lask of stuff in Judo???

bjj is about the lack of interference from the ref.

Well I do agree he could have worded it better.

I have yet to find a judoka bitching about too little newaza, its the tards at IJF who are more interesed into marketing judo to the masses than anything. They are sore that TKD is more marketeable, they want to go there.

Stupid elitists (The IJF).

I cannot seem to understand this post. Please clarify.

Sumi gaeshi.

It looks like this:

sumigaeshi.JPG

Only I prefer to do it with a Russian two-on-one grip: switch the hands so you're cross-gripping the opponent's right sleeve with your right hand, and reaching over to grip the back of the gi or belt with your left hand. And then I use my left leg as a hook to sweep him over to the left.

Very high percentage.

I used something similar to this my first day at Franks Shamrocks gym, the instructor was having the students attempt to get him to the ground using whatever they wanted and most guys were attempting shots and throws and just bullying him and whatnot.

When it was my turn, i pretended/fainted with a bull rush type move and once he resisted i switched to this throw and tossed him. Unfortuently for me i didn't keep hold of him as it was No-Gi and he switched on me and rode me around the mat for awhile with a neck crank + knee on belly.:icon_sad:

Pretty funny, the class went from "meh"....to... "ooohhhhhh"....to....."ughhhhhhh" all within about 3 seconds.:icon_neut

There there, feel better now?

Dude, there are plenty of examples of Judo/Sambo/Catch threads being trolled by the BJJ mafia.

This thread was going well, i found it informative and people genuinely wished to contribute.

Fuck you I'll watch what I want.

like I said, you want to see Judo, go and watch Judo.

Edit: complaining about the lack of Judo throws in BJJ is like so retard.

Last edited:
There there, feel better now?

Dude, there are plenty of examples of Judo/Sambo/Catch threads being trolled by the BJJ mafia.

This thread was going well, i found it informative and people genuinely wished to contribute.

you start a thread wanting to tell BJJ guys how to do their sports, you are just gonna get a response..it is not trolling.

He starts a thread about how he wants to see BJJ like his Judo..that is trollling.

Do you see threads about how Judokas should learn their newaza from BJJ? No, why is that?

Edit: you have your Judo and Catch stickies.

you start a thread wanting to tell BJJ guys how to do their sports, you are just gonna get a response..it is not trolling.

He starts a thread about how he wants to see BJJ like his Judo..that is trollling.

Do you see threads about how Judokas should learn their newaza from BJJ? No, why is that?

Edit: you have your Judo and Catch stickies.

C'mon petal, take a deep breath now.....and relax.

He only floated an idea, plenty of BJJ guys seemed responsive. There are many threads were the BJJihadists trolled anything to do with any other grappling style.

LOL

So Judo and Catch guys can just stay on there stickied threads? Yeah lets just re-name the grappling forum the BJJ forum while we are at it. No wonder some of the Catch guys have created their own forum.....

He only floated an idea, plenty of BJJ guys seemed responsive. There are many threads were the BJJihadists trolled anything to do with any other grappling style.

LOL

So Judo and Catch guys can just stay on there stickied threads? Yeah lets just re-name the grappling forum the BJJ forum while we are at it. No wonder some of the Catch guys have created their own forum.....

The grappling forum is for everyone.

You start a thread about telling BJJ guys how to do Judo throws and you expect me to take such BS.

How do you feel like if I start my thread about how judokas should learn newaza from BJJ?

I feel it is unfair that catch and Judo have their own stickies.

10th Planet JJ and Sambo should have their own as well as BJJ.

The grappling forum is for everyone.

You start a thread about telling BJJ guys how to do Judo throws and you expect me to take such BS.

How do you feel like if I start my thread about how judokas should learn newaza from BJJ?

I feel it is unfair that catch and Judo have their own stickies.

10th Planet JJ and Sambo should have their own as well as BJJ.

Had a tough day?

I like to think that most BJJ guys would learn Judo to supplement their game and the opposite is true. I really dont see the problem with that. Can you see the value of BJJ'ers adding takedowns to round out their grappling?

Recently someone posted a clip of Judo newaza...within mintues it was deemed 'low percentage' or 'not going to work because i've not seen it work in the Mundials' etc etc. This happens all the time.

Catch and Judo need there own threads to stop the constant fan boy attacks. Why dont you ask for a BJJ only sub forum? Boxing and K1 have one each, prehaps its time to split this forum up?

Had a tough day?

I like to think that most BJJ guys would learn Judo to supplement their game and the opposite is true. I really dont see the problem with that. Can you see the value of BJJ'ers adding takedowns to round out their grappling?

Recently someone posted a clip of Judo newaza...within mintues it was deemed 'low percentage' or 'not going to work because i've not seen it work in the Mundials' etc etc. This happens all the time.

Catch and Judo need there own threads to stop the constant fan boy attacks. Why dont you ask for a BJJ only sub forum? Boxing and K1 have one each, prehaps its time to split this forum up?

I love Judo and wrestling.

I never said that BJJ guys should not supplement their training with training other MA.

I just get annoyed with Judo fans started threads about "enlighting" BJJ guys.

It is justified to claim that some techniques of a particular MA would not work in another MA without proof.
Edit: they show some judo stuff which everyone said that it cannot happen in BJJ competition, same move that JJ Machado showed in his book about 4 years ago, and I thought the same as well..

There is no need for a BJJ sticky but I would like 2 for 10th Planet JJ and Sambo.

Last edited:
I just get annoyed with Judo fans started threads about "enlighting" BJJ guys.

Well i get annoyed with 'BJJ knows best attitude' around here that infests every thread that isnt BJJ related.

Lets get back to learning from each other.

Back to the original question.

Sacrifice throws require setting up particular grips and require certain postures and reactions by your opponent in order for them to work. The whole "just try them, if it doesn't work you will end up in guard" is simplistic view and really doesn't hold water.

If you are not proficient at these sacrifice throws you are not going to hit them. Second you need to be able to hit these sacrifice throws against a single or double leg attempt. This one is not so hard if you have practice them and have the timing down.

Just as a correction to this thread:

This is Sumi Gaeshi
Sumi-Gaeshi.jpg

This is Hikikomi Gaeshi
sumigaes.gif

The difference is defined by the grips, Sumi is with lapel or Gi grips, and Hikikomi is with a belt grip.

I will bait the single all day long to get this throw off, the harder they push the easier it is. In fact, it's usually the first thing I do to a very defensive and crounched BJJer. They can't seem to resist it!

I also think that the OP could have presented this in a better way, but I also understand watching Gi BJJ standup and just screaming in my head for one guy to do this when its just...right....there.... begging to be taken. It's one of the easiest Judo throws to learn, and the main reason most Judo folks can't understand why you would shoot a wrestling single with the Gi on. Seriously, you could be wicked effective with just about a month of working on it.

Yeah, whatever, Judosama bin Laden!

Not at all, it's a genuin question. I think those kind of throws are under-used in bjj and imho a better (prettier?) option than pulling guard.

Doing something because it is prettier is a silly reason for doing it. That's what led to the bullshitification of so many other martial arts in McDojos across America.

I used to be against pulling guard 100% of the time. Now I realize it is just another option to be used along with takedowns. You need both. When you are hurt, it might be impossible or very hard to throw or go for shots. Sometimes, your bottom game might be a lot better than his top game, and your top game might be better than his bottom game (even if his bottom game is better than your bottom game). I that case, pulling guard to a sweep is the correct strategy.

Don't limit yourself in strategy, body, or spirit. That's why I tell guard pulling butt floppers to go for takedowns, and takedown-only wrestlers to pull guard (which isn't butt flopping... I'm making a joke there). You need to be open minded and not worried about what looks pretty. Bruce Lee's idea of JKD can be summed up in just two words: NO LIMITS.

In fact, look up Bruce Lee's writings and ideas. You really should study them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back