Why pull guard when you can do this??

Those two also happen to have some of the sickest ne-waza out there. I could watch those two all day.

Yup, slick.

They ultimately use it to 'pull guard' in Judo but if they pull it off its an Ippon.

Win/win situation for them.

i stopped pulling guard when I realized Flying Guillotine could actually be made consistent with the right grips/setups and not just a lucky move

Sumi gaeshi.

It looks like this:

sumigaeshi.JPG

Only I prefer to do it with a Russian two-on-one grip: switch the hands so you're cross-gripping the opponent's right sleeve with your right hand, and reaching over to grip the back of the gi or belt with your left hand. And then I use my left leg as a hook to sweep him over to the left.

Very high percentage.

that is a good move but by drawing one, uke would have shoot for a single or double.

Sumi gaeshi.

It looks like this:

sumigaeshi.JPG

Only I prefer to do it with a Russian two-on-one grip: switch the hands so you're cross-gripping the opponent's right sleeve with your right hand, and reaching over to grip the back of the gi or belt with your left hand. And then I use my left leg as a hook to sweep him over to the left.

Very high percentage.

I'll do you one better and post my competition sumi vid (Judo for the ippon). I set it up with a cross armdrag to a russian. Wish the vid was zoomed in some more. This still goes down as my best throw for ippon.

I pulled off Sumi Gaeshi in my last comp, as a defense to a poor double leg. Worked really well.

I also got a nice sacrifice throw, if my bro uploads the vid, I will post it here. We have a few people at the gym working it and pulling it off in comps.

Heres a breakdown - Opp grabs a tight lapel grip, (his right arm onto your left lapel) drive your own left arm up high inside his right arm and complete an arm wrap (secure your wrap with a land handed cross grip, knuckles in ,on his left collar.

I like this grip as i can dictate the distance and falter and of that guard jumping shit. Then I just throw my right hand straight through their legs, as if im doing a breakfall. 2 points takedown and side control secured. NIIIICE!

Dont know what its called, Im sure someone will have a nice name for it.

just another arrogant Judo fan that wants to prove that Judo is better than BJJ?

Not at all, it's a genuin question. I think those kind of throws are under-used in bjj and imho a better (prettier?) option than pulling guard.

that is a good move but by drawing one, uke would have shoot for a single or double.

He is not going to shoot if you use the Russian cross grip that I described, because you are effectively armdragging him with it. If he tries to shoot you can take his back. Instead he will pull away from you to try and square up with you and break your cross grip, and that's when you go for the sacrifice throw.

I've actually pulled that throw off a couple of times, it's really quite easy and not often expected. I was only having a mess around so laughed my ass off too much afterwards to carry on and do anything with it though.

besides if they shoot for the single you can still do sumi gaeshi its an excellent counter to the single leg and we actually drilled this in bjj a couple of months ago

place your lead foot(the one on the side theyve grabbed for the single) behind there oposite knee under hook with your lead arm reach over the back and grab their belt with your other one.hop forward with your rear leg.then roll backwards straight into mount.

Sumi gaeshi.

It looks like this:

sumigaeshi.JPG

Very high percentage.

Agreed. By far my most favorite move. Karo has a version of the Sumi Gaeshi that goes from an arm drag to standing kimora to Sumi Gaeshi. He shows it as a no-gi move but I've hit in both Gi and No-Gi. I tapped a guy in under 8 seconds at Grapplers Quest last year using that combo.

I'd see it as a way for them to step up their game in the take-down department. Would be beneficial but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

I think a rule they should introduce for the stand up portion of a bjj match is some kind of stalling time limit. If we have a stalling rule on the ground, then why not one from stand up.

I hate seeing matches where they just grip each other strongly in a defensive stance and don't actually go for anything. There are bjj matches where it has gone the distance without anyone trying to throw/take down the other opponent and hasn't gone to the floor. Its like 2 dears locking Antlers.

He is not going to shoot if you use the Russian cross grip that I described, because you are effectively armdragging him with it. If he tries to shoot you can take his back. Instead he will pull away from you to try and square up with you and break your cross grip, and that's when you go for the sacrifice throw.

exaaactly! also, if you have the cross grip, ... . your opponent can't really shoot, or like you said you take their back straight away.

also the way Thrash did it was a little different than the video in that he didn't plant his knee on uke's leg, he just stepped into uke to square up and create torque, which often times they do for you by trying to face you, like you said. also Thrash absolutely put that "POP" in his hips which was exactly what you need to do to get someone with a decent base off their feet and in the air.

last important thing to note is that because the grip is so different than the picture shown in this thread, the angle is different, and you are absolutely not "pulling" your opponent on top of you. you are coming in from an angle and only facing uke long enough to generate the torque you need to pop your hips and launch em.

good stuff in this thread!

Thanks. Before this thread I don't think anyone in bjj knew sacrifice throws even existed!

In all seriousness, I use them a lot myself, as do most of my training partners.

By looking at the amount of times people pull guard at BJJ comps it seems they don't.

Try a tomoe or a sumi gaeshi, you failed? then pull guard.

I think a rule they should introduce for the stand up portion of a bjj match is some kind of stalling time limit. If we have a stalling rule on the ground, then why not one from stand up.

I hate seeing matches where they just grip each other strongly in a defensive stance and don't actually go for anything. There are bjj matches where it has gone the distance without anyone trying to throw/take down the other opponent and hasn't gone to the floor. Its like 2 dears locking Antlers.

I agree, but the problem with this is many bjj deepthroaters are going to bitch about iit becoming too much like judo, much like the way judo bendovers bitch about judo turning into bjj when you allow what they percieve as too much time on the ground. Even though they both use the exact same techniques and come from the exact same source. If we had more bjj guys with badass throws, and vice versea with judo, the grappling world would be soooooooooo much better.

I also hate watching the beginning of bjj matches when they stand and play patty cake and then one just sits down. Get your grip and throw dammit:mad:

I agree, but the problem with this is many bjj deepthroaters are going to bitch about iit becoming too much like judo, much like the way judo bendovers bitch about judo turning into bjj when you allow what they percieve as too much time on the ground. Even though they both use the exact same techniques and come from the exact same source. If we had more bjj guys with badass throws, and vice versea with judo, the grappling world would be soooooooooo much better.

I also hate watching the beginning of bjj matches when they stand and play patty cake and then one just sits down. Get your grip and throw dammit:mad:

I have yet to find a judoka bitching about too little newaza, its the tards at IJF who are more interesed into marketing judo to the masses than anything. They are sore that TKD is more marketeable, they want to go there.

Stupid elitists (The IJF).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back