Why pull guard when you can do this??

_Glorfindel_

MMA Coach
Reaction score
I dont like guy who pull guard from standing. So i found this : YouTube - Tre Torri 1998 - Katsuhiko Kashiwazaki!

Intead of pulling guard, why do bjj guy dont try to perfect that kind of throws??
The transitions to newaza are beautifull too!!
Flying arm-bar?? By an old judo guy??

Not all grappling is bjj ;-)

Train hard, stay safe!

A lot of BJJ guys do go for sacrifice throws and flying armbars.

But the thing you have to realize is that if BJJ guys stop pulling guard, you are going to see a lot more BJJ matches where people are just grabbing each others' lapels and pushing and pulling trying to throw and not get thrown, with a lot more defensive posture and stalling than competitive Judo because BJJ doesn't have rules about using grips to stall.

Agreed, BJJ could learn a lot from sacrifice throws, most of these throws have very high success rates and when they fail, you can always pull guard.

Its not like they are risky throws. And they can be learned rather quickly.

If you want to see how good sutemiwaza you can type flavio canto in youtube. The guy does amazing newaza in judo and he actually gets to do newaza because he is not waiting for the fight to go to the ground, he brings it to the ground with sutemiwaza.

Agreed, BJJ could learn a lot from sacrifice throws, most of these throws have very high success rates and when they fail, you can always pull guard.

Thanks. Before this thread I don't think anyone in bjj knew sacrifice throws even existed!

In all seriousness, I use them a lot myself, as do most of my training partners.

just another arrogant Judo fan that wants to prove that Judo is better than BJJ?

I prefer wrestling takedowns.

But I like sacrifice throws... I'm not confident enough about flying armbars, though.

Everyone in my weight division pulls guard. So if you don't hope your top game is good enough, bc ppl in my divison (141) are used to working their guard....for the most part.

What's the highest percentage sacrifice throw? I only know a few sacrifice throws and I am not very good at them so it would be nice to know which one works the best.

My question is due the low BJJ stance, which sacrifice throw would work?

Demontfaucon and Canto use tomoe-nage all the time in Judo.

Sumi gaeshi.

It looks like this:

sumigaeshi.JPG

Only I prefer to do it with a Russian two-on-one grip: switch the hands so you're cross-gripping the opponent's right sleeve with your right hand, and reaching over to grip the back of the gi or belt with your left hand. And then I use my left leg as a hook to sweep him over to the left.

Very high percentage.

What's the highest percentage sacrifice throw? I only know a few sacrifice throws and I am not very good at them so it would be nice to know which one works the best.

Sumi gaeshi and tomoe nage are probably your best starting points. If either fails, you've essentially pulled guard, so no harm done.

Sumi Gaeshi is perfect against the "BJJ stance". I hit this throw nearly every time I roll and that position makes it nearly impossible to miss it.

i sacrifice throw my ass right into half-guard.

buttscooters, unite!

Those Uki Waza at 5:15 are CRAZY! Probably easier to pull off in the context of this demo, but they're sure fun to watch!

A lot of BJJ guys do go for sacrifice throws and flying armbars.

But the thing you have to realize is that if BJJ guys stop pulling guard, you are going to see a lot more BJJ matches where people are just grabbing each others' lapels and pushing and pulling trying to throw and not get thrown, with a lot more defensive posture and stalling than competitive Judo because BJJ doesn't have rules about using grips to stall.

I'd see it as a way for them to step up their game in the take-down department. Would be beneficial but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Demontfaucon and Canto use tomoe-nage all the time in Judo.

Those two also happen to have some of the sickest ne-waza out there. I could watch those two all day.

Sumi gaeshi.

Only I prefer to do it with a Russian two-on-one grip: switch the hands so you're cross-gripping the opponent's right sleeve with your right hand, and reaching over to grip the back of the gi or belt with your left hand. And then I use my left leg as a hook to sweep him over to the left.

Very high percentage.

That would be the yoko sumi gaeshi, to be specific. Definitely a great throw and works well without the gi as well. Here's a video; the guy's technique is a bit sloppy, but the idea is right: YouTube - Yoko Sumi Gaeshi

Back