Why isn't there more faking being hurt in fights?

kaltkalt

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was just wondering why don't we see more fighters faking being hurt/stunned so someone rushes at them (not in the joking sense that Anderson Silva did to Weidman).

There was a famous KO in the UFC several years back, I just can't remember who the fighters were though, where a guy faked being injured, and then when the opponent rushed him expecting to get the finish, he took a big punch, caught him off guard, and got a clean KO. If someone can remind me of what fight it was I'd appreciate it. Wondering why we don't see more of this.

With faking being hurt, not only might you get a good opportunity to catch your opponent off guard for a clean shot, but once they realize that's a tactic you're gonna use, the opponent will think twice about swarming on you if they think you're injured. Plus if you manage to pull of a 'fake hurt' KO, it makes for a great highlight reel.

So I'm surprised we don't see this more often. There's at least one documented case of it working extremely well. And no, Anderson's case against Weidman doesn't prove that it shouldn't be done, dropping your hands and making a silly hurt-face is not what I'm talking about (different context).

Yeah, let me hunch over with my hands over my tummy as Johny Hendricks come toward me swinging an imaginary mace in his left hand.

Soccer has it covered.

busquets+sergio+barca+barcelona+fcbarcelona+barcablog+barca+blog+sergio+busquets+barca+barcelona+fcbarcelona+barcablog+barca+blog.jpg

that was Pete Sell vs Scott Smith, and he got hurt bad with that shot

TS:
I think you're referring to Scott Smith vs Pete Sell.
And Smith wasn't faking. At all. Although it looks like it in the gif.

Very dangerous tactic.
Especially if you've got a trigger-happy ref who's going to stop the fight if he thinks you're in trouble.

And FYI: faking an injury is forbidden in the unified rules.
Look it up.

basketball and soccer..

looks more like ballet with their overdramatic acting

i hate both sports (as a spectator)

Because if the attempt of faking being hurt is worthy of deceiving your opponent then it's worthy of deceiving the ref and judges as well and therefore it's probably not a good idea in most cases.

Also, not all fighters are going to go all out for the finish even if their opponent appears hurt. They may be more likely to if they are losing, but if you're winning then why would you need to fake it?

Because if you can convince your opponent you are really hurt than you are also convincing the judges you are really hurt and if that goes to a decision, they may awared the person who they percieve as having done more damage.

Then you better finish your opponent... because the judges will think you got hurt.

Scott Smith didn't fake it

after he landed the shot he collapsed

Lol at Smith/Sell being fake

weirdfinish.gif

After knocking Sell out Smith immediately collapsed and was rolling around in pain. He basically pulled himself together for 1 final punch

Back