Why isn't there more faking being hurt in fights?

I was just wondering why don't we see more fighters faking being hurt/stunned so someone rushes at them (not in the joking sense that Anderson Silva did to Weidman).

There was a famous KO in the UFC several years back, I just can't remember who the fighters were though, where a guy faked being injured, and then when the opponent rushed him expecting to get the finish, he took a big punch, caught him off guard, and got a clean KO. If someone can remind me of what fight it was I'd appreciate it. Wondering why we don't see more of this.

With faking being hurt, not only might you get a good opportunity to catch your opponent off guard for a clean shot, but once they realize that's a tactic you're gonna use, the opponent will think twice about swarming on you if they think you're injured. Plus if you manage to pull of a 'fake hurt' KO, it makes for a great highlight reel.

So I'm surprised we don't see this more often. There's at least one documented case of it working extremely well. And no, Anderson's case against Weidman doesn't prove that it shouldn't be done, dropping your hands and making a silly hurt-face is not what I'm talking about (different context).

That's like saying, "why don't more guys sucker punch someone while pretending to touch gloves?" The ref said touch em now if you want, go to your side, FIGHT!

Yes it was Smith vs. Sell, thanks.

Indeed, "faking an injury" is in the rules as a foul, but it's under "timidity". My understanding of that rule was to prohibit falsely claiming you're hurt (like faking an eye poke or groin strike or head butt) to get a time out or to try to cause your opponent to be penalized a point.

It's not timidity to lean over for a second to trick your opponent into rushing you. That's strategy, nothing timid about it. They could never prove you faked it anyway so it's irrelevant. Maybe because I'm a lawyer I read these rules as such, but I've read discussion on what sort of faked injury falls under "timidity" and it's my understanding that it's what I just described.

Good job recognizing that it may be against the rules though. That's the best possible reason for not doing it. And whether it is technically against the rules or not, people may not do it because they think it's against the rules.

because if you dont know him out, you probably lose the round

melvin has done it against nate, but then i went for a takedown, god knows why

Because if you can convince your opponent you are really hurt than you are also convincing the judges you are really hurt and if that goes to a decision, they may awared the person who they percieve as having done more damage.

Not if it immediately becomes apparent that you were not actually hurt.

Melvin Guillard tried that on Nate Diaz and instantly got guillotined.
Scott Smith was legitimately hurt so that one doesn't count.

nf4cbo.gif

I didn't suspect it in the Pete Sell fight, but afterwards, watching Scott Smith often get all wobbly after getting hit in fights after that, but always recovering and scoring points during the "swarm" I really started to suspect him of faking being hurt.

Not if it immediately becomes apparent that you were not actually hurt.

Then you could just be faking not hurt. If nothing else significant happens that round, the judges may as well give the round to the opponent.

I remember Robbie Lawler trying this against Manhoef, but Melvin didn't fall for it.

Lol at Smith/Sell being fake

weirdfinish.gif

After knocking Sell out Smith immediately collapsed and was rolling around in pain. He basically pulled himself together for 1 final punch

Finest display of heart in mma.

that was Pete Sell vs Scott Smith, and he got hurt bad with that shot

Yup that's the fight you're thinking about.

As for the question to why you don't see fighter faking being hurt more, probably because if they did it often it would be hard for them to get fights, especially if they fake it so the fight ends.

Finest display of heart in mma.

The guy literally pulled himself together for 1 second and unleashed everything he had in an all or nothing blow. It's moments like that that make MMA so great

Agree with ppl saying soccer/basketball
they have enough to cover all sports especially soccer

Lol at Smith/Sell being fake

weirdfinish.gif

After knocking Sell out Smith immediately collapsed and was rolling around in pain. He basically pulled himself together for 1 final punch

There's no way that shit didn't hurt

The guy literally pulled himself together for 1 second and unleashed everything he had in an all or nothing blow. It's moments like that that make MMA so great

The determination that must have took...mind-blowing.

Back