Why isn't jones as big as a star as he should be?

How is Jones a "dumb athlete"?. It's like his haters just make up anything they can and hope it sticks.
I'm a JBJ "hater" and I agree with you. I don't understand what that poster means by "dumb athlete".

because he is too unlikeable to be a fan favourite, and isnt willing (yet) to go full Mayweather heel.

I'm a JBJ "hater" and I agree with you. I don't understand what that poster means by "dumb athlete".

I remember a poster who went to school w Bones stating that Jon went to juco bc he was too stupid to get into regular college, and what's said on the internet is true.

cormier and gus are just as good if not better, but jones is awesome. He could prove me wrong when they fight

cormier and gus are just as good if not better, but jones is awesome. He could prove me wrong when they fight

I agree DC is just as good but Gus is still unproven in my eyes, he really doesn't have many good wins. He's held in such high regard for fighting Jones tough, which is extremely impressive, but Jones very well could've had an off night. As for DC he is the man and in my eyes is as proven as it gets and he just may be he most talented fighter mma has ever seen.

I agree DC is just as good but Gus is still unproven in my eyes, he really doesn't have many good wins. He's held in such high regard for fighting Jones tough, which is extremely impressive, but Jones very well could've had an off night. As for DC he is the man and in my eyes is as proven as it gets and he just may be he most talented fighter mma has ever seen.

I agree I was just being nice DC kills both :p

Why isn't jones as big as a star as he should be?
Because he is the first champion who, despite gargantuan reach advantage, has to resort to dirty tactics like eye pokes and knee stomps to win.

Because he is the first champion who, despite gargantuan reach advantage, has to resort to dirty tactics like eye pokes and knee stomps to win.

Using his reach to do both. Totally classless.

because this is MMA not football

AND... because he is charismatic, but not EXTREMELY charismatic like Conor McGregor, Lesnar and GSP

Read the thread title and first sentence, skipped the rest.

The answer:

Many people think he's cocky/arrogant.

Dont see how he can complain he has Nike as his sponsor 99% of fighters would kill for that right.

Racist America.

I would say it's more of a Sherdog thing than an American thing. Nearly everyone I've encountered in real life like him. The hate is a Sherdog phenomenon.

The question wasn't "why don't people like him?" It was, "why isn't Jones a star." Again, he's not a star because MMA is still a niche sport in America.

When he released his shoe through nike it sold out in less than 3 hours, so I think he's good lol

There is a reason Floyd Mayweather's Money persona exists, It sells.

Its 100% because MMA isn't as big as people think/want. There are no true stars that have ever come out of mma. GSP is as close as it gets, but didn't even get mentioned in the Captain America trailer. Jones, GSP, Anderson and Rousey are all big enough to appear in other things and people might know who they are, but the vast majority wont have a clue.

Jones is one of the top 2 or 3 fighters with casual fans and hardcore fans alike (hell, even Sherdog for all its whinging voted him as peoples favourite champion last I saw). Just watch him coming into the arena and listen.

His fake clean cut persona. Can't be a fan of an image I would rather be a fan of fighter I can relate to. Same reason Matt Hughes was disliked.

Fans listen to Dana for god knows why and he and fan favorite Chael Sonnen put on arguably their biggest smear campaign after he turned down the fight at UFC 151.

The guys just not all that likable and is kind of awkward on top of it, but yea Jones should be a bigger star, but the UFC see's him as a bit of a threat and a free thinker in seems and as a result hasn't done a whole lot to try and build him up as of late.

Back