Why isn't jones as big as a star as he should be?

I would say it's more of a Sherdog thing than an American thing. Nearly everyone I've encountered in real life like him. The hate is a Sherdog phenomenon.

The question wasn't "why don't people like him?" It was, "why isn't Jones a star." Again, he's not a star because MMA is still a niche sport in America.

So you agree that it's racist, just not America?

If they spent even half of the money they spend on advertising for Rousey on Jones it would help a lot.

So you agree that it's racist, just not America?

There are absolutely racist elements, but the MMA world is a hell of a lot bigger than this site. I was actually shocked that people don't like him until I found this site. He's just so much fun to watch fight. I could give a shit about his personality. I don't care about any of these guy's personality. This isn't TMZ or WWE.

Fans listen to Dana for god knows why and he and fan favorite Chael Sonnen put on arguably their biggest smear campaign after he turned down the fight at UFC 151.

The guys just not all that likable and is kind of awkward on top of it, but yea Jones should be a bigger star, but the UFC see's him as a bit of a threat and a free thinker in seems and as a result hasn't done a whole lot to try and build him up as of late.

Pretty much. He's arguably the only guy on the roster willing to tell Dana and the suits in general to fuck off when they try to muscle him around and is actually willing to flex some of his own corporate muscle against them. It's like Fitch once said, "If you have good management, you're automatically not the UFC's friend". Jones may not have the best management, but they still managed to get him Gatorade and Nike contracts though and the UFC much prefers a guy that they can keep on leash at all times and be able to muscle when needed or is unquestioningly obedient. If Jones gets to popular he'll start to have "dangerous" ideas about how he should be getting paid more and treated better and how some of his friends in low places are getting some really small cuts of the pie.

There are absolutely racist elements, but the MMA world is a hell of a lot bigger than this site. I was actually shocked that people don't like him until I found this site. He's just so much fun to watch fight. I could give a shit about his personality. I don't care about any of these guy's personality. This isn't TMZ or WWE.

Realistically I don't think personality is even an issue. GSP is a great guy, but he's ridiculously bland in my opinion and Chuck while awesome was never a particularly great interview in the slightest and never showed much beyond a sort bar brawler persona. Both are/were great fighters and deserved all their success, but it's not like either had this bombastic larger than life persona.

Every great fighter needs a rivalry to truly resonate with the public. Jones is MMA's first true freak athlete and he has made things look too easy. I've always maintained Chuck, Randy and Forrest did not become true stars until they fought Tito. Tito was the first "true" star with a persona. Every star needs a foil to really blow up. Ali had Frazier. Bones needs Gus and DC to be that guy.

If both fighters continue winning in dominant fashion, I believe Rousey will become bigger than Jones.

Some will say it is due to marketing failure by the UFC, which may in part be true. Some will cry racism, which I doubt very much. America has long since shown they can love a black megastar. Just ask Jordan, or LeBron, or Mayweather.

Show a non-MMA fan Jones vs Shogun and Rousey vs Tate. They would easily agree that both are dominant performances, but the brutality of Jones' win will turn a lot of people off. We live in a society that has a philosophical blindspot when it comes to violence. A lot of people just do not know how to handle a good old-fashioned, honest, blue collar ass whooping.

Well, if people are worried about the "brutality" aspect, #1 I'm not sure they would approve of women's MMA in the first place #2 MMA is a brutal sport, what are they expecting? Those people that can't handle it likely don't watch it.

A feminine benign ass whipping in MMA appeals to more fans? Is that what you are saying?

Pretty much. He's arguably the only guy on the roster willing to tell Dana and the suits in general to fuck off when they try to muscle him around and is actually willing to flex some of his own corporate muscle against them. It's like Fitch once said, "If you have good management, you're automatically not the UFC's friend". Jones may not have the best management, but they still managed to get him Gatorade and Nike contracts though and the UFC much prefers a guy that they can keep on leash at all times and be able to muscle when needed or is unquestioningly obedient. If Jones gets to popular he'll start to have "dangerous" ideas about how he should be getting paid more and treated better and how some of his friends in low places are getting some really small cuts of the pie.

Realistically I don't think personality is even an issue. GSP is a great guy, but he's ridiculously bland in my opinion and Chuck while awesome was never a particularly great interview in the slightest and never showed much beyond a sort bar brawler persona. Both are/were great fighters and deserved all their success, but it's not like either had this bombastic larger than life persona.

Bones has a bit too much Tito Ortiz in him for Dana's liking. Bones is a threat to the status quo. I can see Jones holding out or more money to fight DC/Gus and he is good enough to get away with it.

Has the UFC ever really backed a black fighter? Silva? That's catering to the Brazil demographic. Rampage? That was more of "watch how crazy this scary black guy is" thing. They shit on Evans and they shit on Jones. I guess they're just doing what their fanbase wants. It is a business.

I remember a poster who went to school w Bones stating that Jon went to juco bc he was too stupid to get into regular college, and what's said on the internet is true.

Oh I love those type of people. I went to a JUCO/community college and I can tell you that going to a "regular" college doesn't mean you're smart or better off.

Both my friend and I have degrees in criminal justice. I got mine from Nassau CC and he got his from a university. He would joke about the fact I went to community college, but when asked about anything regarding criminal justice or law, I would get the better of him. We're both going for careers in the field but I know how to recite the Miranda rights (aswell as alot of other things) meanwhile all he could recite is "You have the right to remain silent" and that's it.

In the end, it's up to the individual not the institution.

Because mma isnt popular enough to create "stars". Even the fighters that are considered stars is not because of ufc directly more from outside endeavors like acting and sponsorship deals

i wonder how many pages before people mentioned Jones skin color

The problem isn't the UFC marketing itself, it's not the racism, it's not Dana pushing the women's BW division. Jones biggest problem is Jones.

The fans won't warm up to the guy because he comes off as an arrogant self absorbed douche. Moreover, he consistently pushes the boundaries of the unified rules which seems to be considered dirty tactics to everyone but his fan boys.

He actually had a decently good image about a few years back, him and his camp has seriously mismanaged his public persona and put him in the position he's in now. He's arguably the most disliked fighter in the the UFC.

because being a star is not just about fighting.

Exactly.gif

People will come around to him eventually. Being sponsored by Gatorade and Nike won't hurt, and he is featured on the cover of EA Sports UFC after all. If you think about it he raised the profile and made a star out of someone who had a close fight with him.

eventually? It seems like people like him less and less the more he fights. I just think he doesn't have a likable personality.

He doesn't have the best personality for being liked. Kind of awkward and quiet. When he speaks, it comes off fake. No one was buying the fake humble Jones when he wanted to be a role model or whatever the fuck it was. And it's a legitimate issue with the eye pokes, even with his instagram video.

If people liked him, they would have given the benefit of the doubt when he wrapped a Bentley around a pole with underage girls in the car. If Chuck were in the car, people would be more likely to brush it off.

i wonder how many pages before people mentioned Jones skin color

With the MMA fanbase I think this is likely an issue, a lot of the reason MMA took off the way it did is I'd say that it was one of the few white dominated sports in the US. I don't think it goes as far as outright dislike for Jones purely by the colour of his skin for most so much as a reduction in the level of interest.

As to why he hasn't become a more mainstream star I think as has been noted a lot of that is down to the UFC brand being promoted over him. In that situation its very difficult for fighters to project the image of "being there own man" than it is in a boxing environment where the promoters stay more in the shadows.

Because mma is a tiny sport with hardly any fans is the main reason. I love mma but it's the truth, we get so wrapped up in it because we're fans but most people couldn't name one mma fighter.

Back