Why isn't jones as big as a star as he should be?

You lost me at jones is better than anderson, gsp and fedor. Jones is bigger than aldo and cain, 2 guys I feel are better fighters. And how many none mma fans do you think could tell you who fedor emelianenko is? Plenty of UFC fans couldnt. GSP was a gentlemen and ridiculously charismatic, anderson did crazy shit, and he wasnt big for a lot of years.

Because mma is a tiny sport with hardly any fans is the main reason. I love mma but it's the truth, we get so wrapped up in it because we're fans but most people couldn't name one mma fighter.

my friends from one of the most backward country in the world know JDS and Anderson Silva

its getting there

With the MMA fanbase I think this is likely an issue, a lot of the reason MMA took off the way it did is I'd say that it was one of the few white dominated sports in the US. I don't think it goes as far as outright dislike for Jones purely by the colour of his skin for most so much as a reduction in the level of interest.

As to why he hasn't become a more mainstream star I think as has been noted a lot of that is down to the UFC brand being promoted over him. In that situation its very difficult for fighters to project the image of "being there own man" than it is in a boxing environment where the promoters stay more in the shadows.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/why-no-sympathy-chael-2751165/

so MMA take off and become one of the fastest growing sports because its supported white sports fans ego because they cannot excel in other sport in America ?

good analysis, here is some freedom for you

Fights dirty and has a fake persona.

i don't mind the guy . but the video of him crying about eye pokes or whatever makes him very unlikeable ... unless he is trying to play the heel ... than he is doing a good job ..

He is not this guy.

1404212247-chuckchamp1.jpg

TS the answer is because he isn't a marionette. He actively manages his career regardless of what DW, the puppeteer wants.

Dana does not like that. He likes champs to do whatever he wants them to when he wants them to do it and for coolie wages...like Country Breakfast and Iceman.

Jon Jones realizes it is his responsibility to negotiate what is best for him and his family over the long term and that DW and the UFC could care less about their well being.

If Renan Barao wasn't a marionette he wouldn't be doing his wash by hand.

The other driving factor is that there isn't anyone that wants to be like Jon Jones. They appreciate his skill but no one looks to him as a good role model, a hero, or even someone that they admire a little bit.

Fighters like brock, anderson, gsp and rousey I feel are bigger household names then jones even though hes a dominant American champion in most historic division in mma. Even with the fans who watch mma most still consider guys like anderson, fedor, and gsp as the goat and jones is on his way there when in reality he has a stronger case then any of those 3.

Hahahaha...

First of all, Jones sold the most PPV compared to all current champions.

Second of all, Jones' fight with the lowest PPV sales was about the same as Rousey's highest...

Jones vs. Rampage, 590k PPV sales.
Jones vs. Machida, 485k PPV sales.
Jones vs. Evans, 700k PPV sales.
Jones vs. Belfort, 450k PPV sales.
Jones vs. Sonnen, 550k PPV sales.

Jones vs. Gustafsson, 310k PPV sales.

Jones vs. Teixeira, 350k PPV sales.

Lastly, Jones is the ONLY mma fighter with a global sponsorship from Nike.

Are you trying to say that Nike invested money in someone who is, according to you, "not as big of a star" as someone like Rousey?

3664528-5059441657-78793.gif

It's his personality more than anything. He lacks charisma and seems a bit off in his understanding of human interaction. Also, there's a lot of childish competitiveness.

He's kind of like Rory Mcdonald in that way (being a bit "off", not childish). But unlike Rory he tries to get people to like him, which just backfires.

In order for Jones to be more successful, I personally believe that he needs to attract more African American fans into the sport. UFC did that with Cain and it is working. The issue from my experience when chatting with African Americans is ignorance. A lot of them hate wrestling usually because they find it "gay" to grapple. Also, a lot that I know do not have the patience for the ground game. Others are prejudice and cannot stand another black fighter getting beat up by a non black fighter.

In order for Jones to be more successful, I personally believe that he needs to attract more African American fans into the sport. UFC did that with Cain and it is working. The issue from my experience when chatting with African Americans is ignorance. A lot of them hate wrestling usually because they find it "gay" to grapple. Also, a lot that I know do not have the patience for the ground game. Others are prejudice and cannot stand another black fighter getting beat up by a non black fighter.

This has more to do with the lack of popularity in MMA in general. Most people don't give a fuck about grappling and find it completely boring. I don't blame them. I enjoy MMA more than most and I can't stand to watch guys like Guida. Guida/Pettis was one of the dumbest match making moves the UFC ever did. You have an exciting kid that's a potential star and you put him in there with Guida for his debut? Idiots.

Cause he's going the Floyd route and slowly dividing the fanbase into people who love his dickish shit and people who want to see him fall off a cliff into a river of lava.

If Renan Barao wasn't a marionette he wouldn't be doing his wash by hand.

To be fair about Barao, He said he does his wash by hand to keep his feet on the ground and not get swept away by $ and fame.

Back