Why is the UFC so invested in Jon Jones legacy?

MigitAs

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
It’s evident that UFC really wants to protect Jon Jone’s legacy. The picogram-scandal, tainted supplements, now he gets injured and everything is still revolving around him and his legacy. The UFC seems to really want Jones to complete his career virtually undefeated, hence why there is no talk of him fighting Aspinall or Pavlovich. Have they shown this level of bias with any other fighter?

It’s evident that UFC really wants to protect Jon Jone’s legacy. The picogram-scandal, tainted supplements, now he gets injured and everything is still revolving around him and his legacy. The UFC seems to really want Jones to complete his career virtually undefeated, hence why there is no talk of him fighting Aspinall or Pavlovich. Have they shown this level of bias with any other fighter?

No I don't think so besides the anomaly that is Conor McGregor.

Last edited:
Has nothing to do with legacy. The UFC is lacking pay-per-view movers. It's the reason why they are still trying to roll Conors ass off his yacht to fight.

Jones/Stipe will likely be the biggest heavyweight PPV potential in recent years for the unforeseeable future. Those other fighters at heavyweight don't matter in the UFCs eyes

It's funny how the people complaining "Jones is too scared to fight at heavyweight" have switched to "Jones only takes easy fights at heavyweight, like the highest ranked fighter and the greatest UFC heavyweight of all time."

Jones would make Aspinall or Pavlovich look silly. He's not taking those fights because he doesn't take short-notice fights and the money's not there.

There is nothing to do with Jon Jones himself, it just happened to be him. It's because "Murica" IMO. Diminishing Jon is diminishing the best fighter of all times... from USA. That's it.

Not only that, but the guy is indeed the best, no question. Deny a legacy like that is deny greatness and who denies greatness is more flat than a verm. People that are losers in life and never wanted others winning, like others must be like them. Nothing more. It's sad tbh, but to each their own I guess.

It's funny how the people complaining "Jones is too scared to fight at heavyweight" have switched to "Jones only takes easy fights at heavyweight, like a one-dimensional fighter he matches up well with stylistically and a former champ who has to come out of retirement."

Your words are more powerful when they're accurate.

I'm with you, OP: I've never understood why they put all their eggs in the Jones basket. All they had to do was be a little more firm with PED cheating or eye-gouging and Jones' fight record would be significantly different, but for some reason Jones is the fighter they chose to break all the rules for.

Your words are more powerful when they're accurate.

Which parts were inaccurate? Where was Gane ranked when Jones fought him? And which UFC heavyweight do you put above Stipe?

And if you're going to complain about accuracy, maybe you shouldn't have edited your quote of me to include your subjective opinions rather than my objective facts. Everyone is calling Gane an easy matchup NOW, but before the fight, Sherdog was split right down the middle on who would win the fight. As for "coming out of retirement," there's no evidence that Stipe stopped training, and his layoff would have been shorter than Jones's (32 months versus 37 months).

There is nothing to do with Jon Jones himself, it just happened to be him. It's because "Murica" IMO. Diminishing Jon is diminishing the best fighter of all times... from USA. That's it.

Not only that, but the guy is indeed the best, no question. Deny a legacy like that is deny greatness and who denies greatness is more flat than a verm. People that are losers in life and never wanted others winning, like others must be like them. Nothing more. It's sad tbh, but to each their own I guess.

Maybe people don’t like that a proven drug cheat is trying to be touted as the greatest of all time? Dude literally lost to Reyes and also arguably Santos - Reyes is undeniable. Imagine losing to a guy who’s gone like 0-4 since, and then trying to claim you’re the goat.

Also, have you ever heard any of the other goat candidates refer to themselves as such? I’ve never heard Anderson, GSP, Fedor any of those guys try to say they’re the goat, only Jones - because he knows his claim is invalid.

You can bend over for the ufc Pr machine all you want. It makes no difference to the facts

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back