Why is NAGA so afraid of wrestlers?

Grapplingwizard**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Seriosuly. I remember when i went to one of their events the owner of naga was talking and stuff in the beginning. He was saying how wrestlers cannot enter beginner or novice divisions and that his son got smashed by soem wrestler kids. I then read on their website that if you wrestled even half of a season 20 years ago you must enter the intermediate division or higher or something like that. I find it quite ridiculous that half a season (2 months maybe?) of training in wrestling is better than 2 years of BJJ. they are basically kind of admitting wrestlers are better than BJJ'ers. When I competed at the event they were thoroughly questioning me when my wrestling experience came up during the pre competition little interview thing. They seem like they fear wrestlers. And its not even wrestling, its submission grappling/BJJ

Really? I went to a NAGA a few years back. I had wrestled in high school for a few years, but I'm also old and out of high school for a long time. I had been doing no-gi for about three months, so I entered as a novice. So what? I didn't do well anyway. I can see though, that if you are a current collegiate wrestler with 8 years of experience, you probably shouldn't go to NAGA as a novice.

wrestlers arent novices dude. a novice is someone who is relatively new to ground fighting. 4 year high school wrestlers arent considered novices just because they dont know subs

wrestlers arent novices dude. a novice is someone who is relatively new to ground fighting. 4 year high school wrestlers arent considered novices just because they dont know subs

I know. That makes sense, but wrestling half a season 20 years ago and not being able to enter novice or beginner doesn't really make much sense.

I know. That makes sense, but wrestling half a season 20 years ago and not being able to enter novice or beginner doesn't really make much sense.

Well lets be honest, wrestlers are pushed and trained harder that most jiu ijtsu guys.
When a kid goes to the wrestling team for a season, he is having a coach scream in his ear, hes competing every weekend, doing conditioning daily, and is on the mat every day.
Now lets look at a jiu jitsu guy who has started training bjj the same time as the wrestling season:
probably only training 2 to 3 times a week, no conditioning besides maybe lifting at a 24 hour fitness, never competed before, or rarely competes.

Last edited:
If a person wrestled for 4yrs in high school, but are 15+yrs removed from their wrestling, with 3 months of BJJ, do they go to the higher division, or are they a novice? I see this as being a typical situation, and I'm not sure how much of that wrestling is actually retained. Or is it just the grappling knowledge in general that puts them in the higher division?

well lets be honest. wrestlers are pushed and trained harder that most jiu ijtsu guys. when a kid goes to the wrestling team for a season he is having a coach scream in his ear, hes competing every weekend, and doing conditioning daily on the mat every day.
now lets look at a jiu jitsu guy who has started training bjj the same time as the wrestling season: probably only training 2 to 3 times a day, no conditioning besides maybe lifting at a 24 hour fitness, never competed before, or rarely competes.

True. the bjj guys are not as tough as the wrestler guys, but the wrestlers are competing in bjj competition, so the bjj'ers should have the edge. Naga takes the wrestling thing too far.

NAGA is not "afraid" of anyone. It does not matter what division you sandbaggers enter, Kipp gets paid. - E

Seriosuly. I remember when i went to one of their events the owner of naga was talking and stuff in the beginning. He was saying how wrestlers cannot enter beginner or novice divisions and that his son got smashed by soem wrestler kids. I then read on their website that if you wrestled even half of a season 20 years ago you must enter the intermediate division or higher or something like that. I find it quite ridiculous that half a season (2 months maybe?) of training in wrestling is better than 2 years of BJJ. they are basically kind of admitting wrestlers are better than BJJ'ers. When I competed at the event they were thoroughly questioning me when my wrestling experience came up during the pre competition little interview thing. They seem like they fear wrestlers. And its not even wrestling, its submission grappling/BJJ

You're a douchebag. I hate all of your posts and threads. I bet you are a real asshole in person.

This thread is a lot dumber than I thought it would be.

NAGA isn't afraid of wrestlers. Wrestlers can compete, they just have to compete with other people who have grappling experience.

Maybe it wouldn't have come to this if all these winstrol soaked beasts hadn't entered the lowest belt divisions just so they could guillotine an accountant who was told by his instructor that grappling tourneys were totally safe and he'd be matched up with other guys who had learned what the guard was 6 months prior.

NAGA isn't afraid of wrestlers. Just too many people claimed their wrestling experience wasn't relevant when it clearly was.

If you wrestle then you have grappling experience and should fight in the appropriate division. Even with shitty subs a great wrestler can still win on points.

Because wrestlers are better and we're all too proud to admit

Like others have mentioned NAGA isn't afraid of wrestler but wrestlers have experience. Wrestlers with high school experience shouldn't be competing with 6 months/1 year white belts. At the lower levels its 'amateur seasoned athlete' against a 'non-athlete'. You tell me who has the advantage here from a fair play perspective?

An example from the school I train at. There are 2 new students who have been around for 6 months(father and son combo...dad is mid 30s and son is senior in high school). They get treated as new white belts because they are white belts in terms of rank but these guys are clearly not new to grappling. They can't beat blue belts but they are clearly just as good or better than many white belts.

I asked the father what his grappling experience was, he says he doesn't have any. He said he trained at a local boxer gym before and that was the only training he had. I guess boxers teach ground grappling lol, I thought to myself. The guy was obviously lying he had grappling experience/training from somewhere just by what he knew and the way he rolled. He supposedly had no experience but was trying to do foot/leglocks on white belts(which my instructor doesn't allow until your a blue belt).

It was only til recently the father started wearing a gi, the son still does nogi. I'm not saying anything about the son because he's not an adult yet. But obviously the father was kind of a douch and a spaz to begin with, he toned down the spazziness a bit after a while.

I could see plenty of wrestlers taking advantage of this in a tournament setting since they don't have a higher belt ranking they will take advantage and compete in beginners.

Your information is wrong. If you wrestled half a season 20 years ago, nobody is going to stop you from entering novice or beginner.

In my opinion, NAGA is actually rather pro-wrestler compared to other tournaments. They just count it as experience.

If a person wrestled for 4yrs in high school, but are 15+yrs removed from their wrestling, with 3 months of BJJ, do they go to the higher division, or are they a novice? I see this as being a typical situation, and I'm not sure how much of that wrestling is actually retained. Or is it just the grappling knowledge in general that puts them in the higher division?

I would say that person should compete in the Beginner division.

Kind of ironic that a "grappling wizard" has to come on sherdog to complain that someone made him compete in the intermediate division.

Kind of ironic that a "grappling wizard" has to come on sherdog to complain that someone made him compete in the intermediate division.

Yeah for all of the talk of how wrestlers are legendary tough asses, they sure seem to get really worried when told they have to compete against average level grapplers instead of shitty level grapplers.

Yeah for all of the talk of how wrestlers are legendary tough asses, they sure seem to get really worried when told they have to compete against average level grapplers instead of shitty level grapplers.

Where are these wrestlers? You have seen them get worried personally?

Yeah he has seen them. This is like the eight hundredth and forty-third thread created on this subforum by a wrestler crying about having to compete in a division other than novice. Ridiculous bitchassness. - E

Yeah he has seen them. This is like the eight hundredth and forty-third thread created on this subforum by a wrestler crying about having to compete in a division other than novice. Ridiculous bitchassness. - E

lol thanks for answering for him. And you seem to be bitching pretty hard yourself

Back